Advanced

Bobby Pitman--hows the project going?

Posted by john vanlandingham 
MarkHille
Mark Hille
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
I have two crap boxes

Re: Bobby Pitman--hows the project going?
September 15, 2014 12:59PM
Pitman

Whats the best $3,000 i could spend on the xr4ti? Other than safety equipment. I plan on picking up another xr4ti around the holidays. From flordia with a t5 swap. Hopefully it doesnt fall through so i can have extra parts plus some good t5 stuff.

A cage and the first event entry cost. thumbs up smiley

If the t9 shifts run it.

Don't build the honda. You will never get back the money and time and effort you spend doing so and it could have all been put into the Merkur. Its a lot of effort/money to change rally platforms. Just think of the spares you have/need. Buying a decent used car will be cheaper and easier and faster than building a decent Merkur. If you want to build the Merkur go ahead. There are enough people on here to walk you through it. Just know that you will never recoup the time and money you put into it. You are doing all this work and spending all this money for fun....so if your not having fun is it really worth it??? Read that last sentence as "If you don't thoroughly enjoy doing automotive work, if you are not capable of doing almost all of the work yourself, If you don't have at least $6,000 to sink into building a car (probably much more because the little things add up quick), and if you are not patient enough to spend a crap load of time building a car.........then you would be better off buying one."

Where in NY are you? BRS and ESPR are both nasa events and are both in NY. Either one of them could be enjoyed with a near stock Merkur with a cage and safety equipment Ask me how I know. The suspension would be nice but isn't necessary to have fun and could be added later (sooner than later). You could throw $30,000 at the Merk and I personally still wouldn't ever put money on you winning the 2wd class anytime soon. No offense. You would still probably just be that outgunned. Just go out there and have fun. That is your point. Go do that....

Want to race RA? Take grant up on his offer to get that na manifold and drive that turd of a car to its limit until they let you put the snail back on. After all, driving a turd of a car is more fun to me than laying underneath one for hours on end......
Please Login or Register to post a reply
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

September 15, 2014 01:37PM
john vanlandingham
NoCoast
You can rally with stock drivetrain. Sounds like you already have a decently upgraded car. Buy the Jvab struts on eBay from Jan (guys name)for 2k, cage, seats, belts, skid plate, go rally.
Xr4ti is a great rally car, just keep it simple.

Thanks a whole fucking lot, Grant. I'm glad paying the mortage isn't something that ever concerns you.

I'm pretty sure I've sent a decent number of people your way. A new set of your struts on his coast for under retail and its unethical for me to suggest he buys them? I think it'd be worse to not. Like when I send a customer to a competitor because I know they can deliver on his timeline. I might be able to but not going to leave someone fucked if something goes wrong.

Grant Hughes
heymagic
Banned
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

September 15, 2014 02:17PM
Grant did the right thing, no censure needed. Our mission is to promote the sport in its many facets, not JVABs income. If the two happen to come together then ok.

That cage linked to is not compliant to any North American sanctioning body as pictured btw.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

September 15, 2014 03:46PM
heymagic
Grant did the right thing, no censure needed. Our mission is to promote the sport in its many facets, not JVABs income. If the two happen to come together then ok.

That cage linked to is not compliant to any North American sanctioning body as pictured btw.

He did? who elected YOU to decide?
Censure? You are getting preetty fucking weird in your frenzy to slander me at every opportunity, McCollough...censure?
Fuck. Grqant typed without thinking.. We don't need your comments either..ever think of that?
Our mission is to promote the sport in many facets, not Gene McCollough's ego...

You keep making references to "fattebning my checking account" and BS like that..

You said recently
"I've made coil-overs" Don't understand why you are just cranking them out since you are such a man of fucking ethics and expertise." You want to start making some?

I also don't understand why you keep alluding to dishonest intentions and motives----yet seem to purposely ignore outright theft and fraud by others and just say "I've always had excellent dealings with...."

Your obvious selective condemnations and scolding are obvious.

Maybe you'd Friend me better if I sent you my twitter account and link to my personal 3 websites and 4 FB pages?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
heymagic
Banned
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

September 15, 2014 05:31PM
Oh my, someone pee in your corn flakes?

You're right, shame on Grant , wtf was he thinking. It would be much better to have someone send you a deposit, pay more and wait months and months potentially for struts. Silly Grant.

I always say, buy JVAB buy often, spend morally...what more do you want? I've sent 3 friends to you for suspension, one got his, one got a refund after an extended wait and the other was less than pleased with the final deal, details need not be aired on a public forum.

If you were truly worried about referrals and business then maybe a touch of tact and less radicalism would be of use? Maybe? Wonder how many people Brandenburg will send your way?
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

September 15, 2014 07:00PM
Fawk me. This is getting worse than NASIOC Political Playground.

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

September 15, 2014 10:17PM
Good thing I don't sell tires cause I don't think I've EVER heard you tell someone to go buy a new set of tires.
I do build roll cages though and you're sending this guy to Sweden for a cage? Not that I'm likely to do a kit though without a cageless shell/car to fit it to...

Grant Hughes
Morison
Banned
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

September 15, 2014 11:12PM
Pitman
Whats the best $3,000 i could spend on the xr4ti? Other than safety equipment. I plan on picking up another xr4ti around the holidays. From flordia with a t5 swap. Hopefully it doesn't fall through so i can have extra parts plus some good t5 stuff.
The best thing to do with that money would be to but the VW you were talking about, do some events and learn about the sport, what you like about the VW and - more importantly - what you don't like and incorporate those lessons in your Merkur build.
It might push back the completion date of the XRatty, but you'll be stage sooner and learning about what you really want out of your first build. Best thing is ... as long as you don't ball it up you should be able to sell the VW for very nearly what you bought it for, just paying 'operating' costs while running it. (which you'd have for any car) It's near impossible to do that with a car you build from the ground up.)

First Rally: 2001
Driver (7), Co-Driver (44)
Drivers (16)
Clerk (10), Official (7), Volunteer (4)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Last Updated, January 4, 2015

john vanlandingham
Blame is for idiots. losers.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

September 15, 2014 11:29PM
NoCoast
Good thing I don't sell tires cause I don't think I've EVER heard you tell someone to go buy a new set of tires.
I do build roll cages though and you're sending this guy to Sweden for a cage? Not that I'm likely to do a kit though without a cageless shell/car to fit it to...

Right. see the difference? You aren't- cant supply the guy with a product he needs so no harm to anybody in suggesting he look someplace else.. He is close enough to Cagethis in the Boston area and that guy does good cages at a reasonable price---but I'd guess he's heard of cagethis.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login