NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

Re: colt or civic
September 22, 2014 09:36AM
heymagic
Oh c'mon Matt..they're toobular, that should count for something..eye popping smiley

These guys make some nice seats that come in sizes : http://www.ultrashieldrace.com/catalog/Road-Race-Seats/Road-Race-Full-Containment-Seats/Rally-Sport-Halo-Seat/166

Thanks gene. Think of my mortgage!!! winking smiley
Do metal seats require a seat back brace?
Those seats look decent though. May have to talk with them and check it out at PRI.

Grant Hughes
Please Login or Register to post a reply
heymagic
Banned
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

September 22, 2014 10:13AM
Reece,,,not sure on the foam thing. We check seats for mounting and flex at tech. I've never seen anyone with inserts. I don't care for the black duct tape idea, I'd think you could lift the cover maybe and slip foam under it on the sides.

Grant, I haven't seen their mounting instructions but guess a back brace would be required. Really good seats are expensive... used seat at Rousch : http://www.roushyatesparts.com/Used-Racing-Seats-s/721.htm
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

September 22, 2014 11:01AM
heymagic
Reece,,,not sure on the foam thing. We check seats for mounting and flex at tech. I've never seen anyone with inserts. I don't care for the black duct tape idea, I'd think you could lift the cover maybe and slip foam under it on the sides.

Grant, I haven't seen their mounting instructions but guess a back brace would be required. Really good seats are expensive... used seat at Rousch : http://www.roushyatesparts.com/Used-Racing-Seats-s/721.htm

I was more thinking Rally America required it. Not that a back brace is difficult or expensive or a bad idea anyhow?

Grant Hughes
imnotcrazy
Don Kennedy
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Impreza

September 22, 2014 08:21PM
Never mind.

Don Kennedy
A1337STI
Alex Rademacher
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
93 GC with an 01 RS swap!

September 23, 2014 12:28PM
Robert Culbertson
Thin sheets of stiff foam work well to bolster seats. You can also use expanding foam inside of a few garbage bags for the ultra cheap seat foam kit. Just shave and grind to fit, and then cover with black duct tape.

A rally driver was using a home made pad cause her seat was mounted too low. she rolled over and broke her back. Yes it was the high speed roll over that caused her to be injured ,and the safety gear kept her alive.

how ever .. if she would have not used that pad, her injuries would have been less severe.

DON'T USE A MISC / HOME MADE PAD FOR RALLY!!!

i've done that exact same garbage bag expanding foam trick for a Rally cross seat pad. (to boost my wife up to see over the dash) But i would not dare use it on stage. find a seat / correct Seat padding combo that works for you.
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Infallible Moderator

September 23, 2014 01:54PM
The issue here is not that the driver is too short, but that they are very tall and skinny. This makes finding a perfect fitting seat near impossible. I'm trying to offer a solution to limit side to side movement and prevent injuries.

The solution I was suggesting is to add material to the sides of the seat, near the thigh areas. This can be done with expanding foam, high density foam from an upholstery shop, or with Styrofoam beads and a binder system. This is a very common practice in almost all forms of racing (off road, road racing, especially in F1).

I'm also very curious as to how having a booster caused more serious injuries to the driver. Without seeing the padding, or better details, there is no way to make a more informed decision. Which is one reason there is a lot of forum talk about "XX did that and they had YY injuries we must ban all forms of it."

A1337STI
Robert Culbertson
Thin sheets of stiff foam work well to bolster seats. You can also use expanding foam inside of a few garbage bags for the ultra cheap seat foam kit. Just shave and grind to fit, and then cover with black duct tape.

A rally driver was using a home made pad cause her seat was mounted too low. she rolled over and broke her back. Yes it was the high speed roll over that caused her to be injured ,and the safety gear kept her alive.

how ever .. if she would have not used that pad, her injuries would have been less severe.

DON'T USE A MISC / HOME MADE PAD FOR RALLY!!!

i've done that exact same garbage bag expanding foam trick for a Rally cross seat pad. (to boost my wife up to see over the dash) But i would not dare use it on stage. find a seat / correct Seat padding combo that works for you.
Robert Culbertson
Infallible Moderator

September 23, 2014 03:39PM
Here's a link on how to make a good foam seat insert. The end result should be one that supports both the lower half and upper half of the body.
Definitely less duct tape than I prefer though smiling smiley

http://www.circletrack.com/safety/1403_bsci_custom_foam_seat_inserts/

http://www.realequipe.com/multimedia/gallery/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2014 03:44PM by Robert Culbertson.
A1337STI
Alex Rademacher
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:

September 25, 2014 06:34PM
what do you think would happen to you if your shoulder belts were really loose when you rolled over ?

the problem was that the seat cushion was compressible . the driver rolled over several times and each time they went back on their wheels the pad compressed and then rebounded . the result was sort of as if you had your shoulder straps really loose.

there is an RA rule now about seat padding due to this. so maybe you're not convinced. perhaps the pad had nothing to do with it. but someone who makes rules became convinced.

Side pads would be different than a below your butt pad. but , I'm just saying find a type of foam Meant for how you are going to use it. not just "any ole foam" smiling smiley

Or don't lol , its not my ride, back, life . hell use water balloons or a bed of nails, i really don't care, other than feeling the need to pass on information for you to make your own decision. grinning smiley
reecers
Reece
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Ej20g'd Legacy

September 25, 2014 06:37PM
yea i think the concern is my ass isn't big and american smiling smiley

by the way i purchased the civic and am waiting for it to be shipped to me monday.

I have been looking at rallynuts.com for stuff. I see some people have had luck shopping there. I also assume that all the 100-200 dollar intercoms are roughly the same? Just asking questions here.

I am not an alien

Koolaid on specialstage just an FYI
A1337STI
Alex Rademacher
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:

September 25, 2014 06:48PM
Uhm , hopefully JVL can chime in. I like the terra-trip a lot.. other than they have some weird flaw and something over loads and then it dies...

But there's some other company that makes the same unit (but for boats) and with out the flaw...

arg..

teka tronics? oh what was it... ARG..

Eddie is selling a used club version of the terra trip (no line out for recording) $60 ? descent deal.
ARG .. what's the good one... i need to search around now ...
A1337STI
Alex Rademacher
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:

September 25, 2014 06:55PM
Graytronics !! which was sold to Ultra SML, how ever graytronics still makes a boat intercom ...

which i believe will use the "terra trip" head seats. its the same, but it won't just stop working out of no where.. well the terra trips usually break in a way where your intercom goes to full blast and hurts your ears cuasing you to RIP out the wires (and messing them up too) or that's what i did... lol

I've yet to use a graytronics. or even see one.. but for some reason i buy this story ... smiling smiley
Robert Culbertson
Infallible Moderator

September 25, 2014 07:37PM
A1337STI
what do you think would happen to you if your shoulder belts were really loose when you rolled over ?

the problem was that the seat cushion was compressible . the driver rolled over several times and each time they went back on their wheels the pad compressed and then rebounded . the result was sort of as if you had your shoulder straps really loose.

there is an RA rule now about seat padding due to this. so maybe you're not convinced. perhaps the pad had nothing to do with it. but someone who makes rules became convinced.

Side pads would be different than a below your butt pad. but , I'm just saying find a type of foam Meant for how you are going to use it. not just "any ole foam" smiling smiley

Or don't lol , its not my ride, back, life . hell use water balloons or a bed of nails, i really don't care, other than feeling the need to pass on information for you to make your own decision. grinning smiley

Got cha on the seat foam now! I was thinking of a thin hard foam booster. The foam I have always used for seat bolstering is very firm, near roll bar padding firm.
I can definitely see how having 3in of foam that could still compress would be a very bad idea.

While I would like a "water bed" seat, I don't think balloons will work... maybe condoms though!

BTW, the circle track/bsci link is foam meant for seat fitting smiling smiley
Clayto
Clayton McCrary
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
XRatty purchased. Now build it!!

September 25, 2014 08:15PM
reecers
yea i think the concern is my ass isn't big and american smiling smiley

by the way i purchased the civic and am waiting for it to be shipped to me monday.

I have been looking at rallynuts.com for stuff. I see some people have had luck shopping there. I also assume that all the 100-200 dollar intercoms are roughly the same? Just asking questions here.

My Terratrip works great. It is for the beginner though, real,simple and if you isolate the sound you're good to go..... Also put the fuse right next to the unit so you don't have to fiddle too much if it for some reason does overload.... Which I have never experienced. But , there are many others but only a few good one dedicated to the rally community in the US.

Check some of the electronics threads on Special Stage, some good info and contacts
reecers
Reece
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Ej20g'd Legacy

September 26, 2014 10:16AM
is this right? Or too good to be true.

http://www.rallynuts.com/hans-devices/hans-performance-sport-2-20-hans-device-medium.html

I am not an alien

Koolaid on specialstage just an FYI
Clayto
Clayton McCrary
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
XRatty purchased. Now build it!!

September 26, 2014 10:35AM

Bout the same price here in Merika. Might as well find one in US without big shipping billsmiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login