Rally Car:
95 awd celica

Re: carnage at pfr...
October 07, 2014 07:18AM
MattP
czwalga
NoCoast
MattP
An ill advised cut caused my demise, sliced the HDPE underbelly and smacked the oil pan so hard it broke the pick up.
Really really thick Aluminium skid plates will save rally, ok so it would of saved mine..

Are you saying you were running a plastic skid plate for the oil pan?

Sounds like it. Aluminum or steel is a must.

We lost the auxiliary LED's 3 km into a 10km stage, and a Talon doesn't have the best lights. All my fault it was a bad cut, in the notes it was marked as a no cut! And I will be changing it for a more robust one.

I know how that goes. First sno*drift, I lost aux lights, had one high beam and one low beam (with a smashed out lens). In a blizzard, I could barely see two feet infront of me.

I have a 1/4" aluminum skidplate, and you'd be shocked how much that thing gets bent up after a few rallys. With a plastic skid plate, it wouldnt have been long before you hit your oil pan without cutting where you shouldnt have.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
A1337STI
Alex Rademacher
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
93 GC with an 01 RS swap!

October 07, 2014 11:39AM
My crew chief built a steal cage out of rectangular tube to support the skid plate after seeing what happened to my non-supported one + oil pan combination. he also beefed up the oil pan .. hehehe smiling smiley
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

October 07, 2014 01:24PM

First Rally: 2010 First RallyX: 2004 (a bunch)
Driver (0), Co-Driver (7)
Organizer (3), Volunteer (3)
Cars Built (2.5), Engines Blown (2) Cages Built (0) # of rotations (3.5)
Last Updated, Apr 9, 2023
A1337STI
Alex Rademacher
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
93 GC with an 01 RS swap!

October 07, 2014 03:25PM
ooopsies sad smiley

he's got a great attitude about it though!
PeteNaz
Peter Nazarewycz
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
96 Honda Civic Hatch

October 07, 2014 09:12PM
hmmm so this sucked but it was a mistake on my part. a deceptive crest and I trusted my eyes to much. Had fun up until then that's for sure.

Just wanted to say as well, the first priority was not checking the camera even though it looks like it in the video hahaha...its funny Darcy doesnt even remember doing that, it was from shock, just acting funny. We got out of the car with two triangles and our OK sign ready as fast as possible...it just took us a second to figure out where we were! Both doors were blocked closed so we had to crawl out of the hatch through the cage. I didnt even realize my side window was broken until I looked at the car later, I was wondering why I had pine needles in my mouth!

The damage is extensive on the body, but mechanically, the engine. transmission and the coilovers all look to be fine, the only suspension piece broken is the arm to one of the knuckles, all the control arms are still straight. The Cage did its job, and when you sit in the car it doesnt look like anything happened other than the window being smashed! I'm proud something I built kept me safe. Cage seems to be perfect still.

How would one go about transferring the cage to a new shell? after a closer inspection and if its fine, I'd like to atleast keep the main hoop and laterals. would you just use a die grinder and cut the center of the welds then grind the old welds away from the tubing after?

I'm always posting on Instagram...follow me! PeteNaz Instagram

My Build smiling smiley
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

October 07, 2014 09:37PM
more like transfering shell around the cage...

talk to Al Kun

First Rally: 2010 First RallyX: 2004 (a bunch)
Driver (0), Co-Driver (7)
Organizer (3), Volunteer (3)
Cars Built (2.5), Engines Blown (2) Cages Built (0) # of rotations (3.5)
Last Updated, Apr 9, 2023
heymagic
Banned
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

October 08, 2014 12:15AM
Ouch...glad no one was hurt. Looked like you were moving along pretty damn good too.

Transfering the cage, chop the crap out of the old car and remove the cage whole. Then you can separate the cage at the main hoop. Sawsall, small grinder..I use a torch but I've been doing this a lot of years. Any way you can clean and reprofile the joints and the cage should be less than a 1/4 inch shorter. Generally the rear structure can go in all together. The front 1/2 should also slide in, depending on location of the feet. In the end you shouldn't lose any bars and take a weekend or less. I transferred one cage 3 times for a guy then his wife told him "enough..."
PeteNaz
Peter Nazarewycz
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
96 Honda Civic Hatch

October 08, 2014 10:02AM
Ahhh I see, yea I wasn't excited about the thought of cramming myself into the car and trying to cut around the welds....just getting rid of the rest of the car seems way easier. Thanks Gene!

Would be cool to cut the drivers side of the shell skin off and mount the side profile on the garage wall of the crashed car! I'll have to keep atleast part of the car and make a wall of shame/blazing glory

My Build smiling smiley
heymagic
Banned
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

October 08, 2014 10:39AM
I have an Evo bumper cover from ACP and a tail light from KB at the first X Games. Both signed...wall art is cool.
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Mega Moderator

October 08, 2014 01:10PM
Pete, I saw the car after the roll and it looked pretty gnarly. I'm glad you both were okay. Jason Bailey said he went off in the exact same spot as well.

Also, looks like your roll made it to Jalopnik, congrats on being famous!
PeteNaz
Peter Nazarewycz
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
96 Honda Civic Hatch

October 08, 2014 10:39PM
Robert Culbertson
Pete, I saw the car after the roll and it looked pretty gnarly. I'm glad you both were okay. Jason Bailey said he went off in the exact same spot as well.

Also, looks like your roll made it to Jalopnik, congrats on being famous!

Hhaha yea thanks! I noticed that as well, pretty cool to see it on there.

And yea we both are really glad we came out with just some soreness and stiff backs and necks...Darcy's balls hurt because I think he didnt have his lap strap down tight enough...I warned him... He's better now I think. But thanks for the kind words...it sucked.

My Build smiling smiley
323GTXAWD
Ron Versluis
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
none

October 09, 2014 05:54PM
Morison
Off the top of my head - which was the bottom of my head for over a minute at the event - I'd think the DNF rate was close to double what* somewhat higher than it normally is, but am happy to be corrected on that. The big difference is the 2 cars that we won't likely ever see again and at least two other rollovers that are repairable. (I haven't see the FRZ in post-roll condition)

*I stand corrected by someone with more time on their hands to dig back than I do today

The black BRZ was fairy wrinkled but certainly repairable , did not look as bad as some of the others! PFR was a great event from a spectators viewpoint too ....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login