Rally Chat
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

Best alternative to stage rally! And it's cheap! Go ice racing in upstate New York...

Posted by OffThePace 
OffThePace
Michael Waterhouse
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
1990 Eagle Talon AWD

Hello everybody,

Executive summary: $50 gets you a practice heat plus 3 races for a total of 60 minutes behind the wheel; you can drive your car to and from the races so you don't need to trailer your car; there are 9 classes from bone stock street legal to ice pounding tube framed winged Super Modified race cars...stage rally cars are welcome!; races are held in upstate New York on frozen lakes starting in January.

My name is Michael Waterhouse and I am a member of the Adirondack Motor Enthusiast Club (AMEC). I wanted to let you all know that there is something fun you can do with your car this winter. If you’re tired of sitting home bored because of the snow and ice how about getting out and start enjoying the winter and come ice racing with AMEC. Yes you can race your car not just watch the races! We race nine classes of cars from bone Stock Street legal cars that are driven to the race track to the ice pounding tube framed winged Super Modified race cars.

We race as soon as we have 12” of ice From January 1st through Early March. We race in NY state at these lakes, Lake George, Lake Algonquin, Tupper Lake, Warner’s Lake, Ballston Lake, Round Lake and more.

We race road course type tracks, not ovals. We have stage rally-prepped cars race with us and I'll be running my 1990 Eagle Talon in our Street Legal unstudded awd class as well as our studded AWD class using Dmack studded tires. You don't need to run your rally car however, you can use your daily driver! I have raced my 2005 Ford Focus ZX3 in our Street Legal class for many years now...no cage is required, I literally drive it to work during the week and race it on the weekends. All you need for the Street Legal class is snow tires and a helmet. We have strict no-contact rules since many racers in the Street Legal class have nice cars the don't want damaged...plus many of us need to drive the car home.

If you’re not sure you want to try wheel to wheel racing we have a way to get out on the track with our new “20-20” event. This is held during our daily ice racing lunch break and you can drive your street car out on our ice racing track for 20 minutes for only $20! All you need is a helmet and snow tires and track day rules apply. If you have never been to a track day the rules are like this no contact between cars! No passing except on the straights. And don’t get yourself stuck in a snow bank trying to show off like Ken Block because you only get 20 minutes.

For more info visit our web site at www.icerace.com.

You can also check out our YouTube channel for some videos: www.youtube.com/user/ameciceracing

For Street Legal class contact me at (518) 810 8831 waterhmp@hotmail.com

For Modified Studded/screw classes call Dave Burnham (518) 875 6956 racing48@nycap.rr.com

Our schedule changes with the weather so watch www.icerace.com for details or ask to get put on our e mail list.

Ask me questions! I know you're intrigued!

Michael Waterhouse
Voorheesville NY
1990 Eagle Talon
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Jay
Jay Woodward
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
'90 Mazdog Frankenprotege

Jay
Re: Best alternative to stage rally! And it's cheap! Go ice racing in upstate New York...
November 24, 2014 05:22PM
I only i wasn't 3k miles away..

Jay Woodward
Snohomish, WA
'90 Mazdog Frankenprotege
Chronologically, 46...
OffThePace
Michael Waterhouse
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
1990 Eagle Talon AWD

The first event of the 2015 season will be Sunday January 25th on Lake Algonquin in Wells NY!

Registration is between 8:30 and 10am. Practice heats will start immediately after the 10:15 drivers meeting.

If you don't want to race, bring your helmet and stop by registration to let me know you'd like a ride-along during practice. You'll love it!

Michael Waterhouse
Voorheesville NY
1990 Eagle Talon
OffThePace
Michael Waterhouse
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
1990 Eagle Talon AWD

Hello again,
Despite the warm weather in the northeast, the ice racing season is coming! We haven't missed a winter in the last 30+ years. Sometimes it's a short season but it's a lot of fun.

Ice racing is a great way to keep your racing skills up over the winter and to also learn new skills in car control (we spend lots of time sliding) So if you’re tired of sitting home bored because of the snow and cold how about getting out and enjoying the winter and come try ice racing. We race nine classes of cars from bone Stock Street legal cars that are driven to the race track to our purpose built tube frame winged Super Modified race cars.

If you’re not sure you want to try wheel to wheel racing we have a way to get out on the track with our new “20-20” event. This is held during our daily ice racing lunch break and you can drive your street car out on our ice racing track for 20 minutes for only $20! All you need is a helmet and snow tires and track day rules apply. If you have never been to a track day the rules are like this no contact between cars! No passing except on the straights. And don’t get yourself stuck in a snow bank trying to show off because you only get 20 minutes.

We race as soon as we have 12” of ice at these lakes in upstate NY near Albany: Lake George, Lake Algonquin, Caroga Lake, Tupper Lake, Warner’s Lake, Ballston Lake, Round Lake.

For more info visit our web site at http://www.icerace.com and the AMEC ice racing rules are here: http://icerace.com/pdf/2016Rules.pdf and we have a great message board also here: http://bamecmessageboard.runboard.com/

For Street Legal class info call or e mail Michael Waterhouse at (518) 810 8831 waterhmp@hotmail.com

For Modified Studded/screw classes call or e mail me Dave Burnham (518) 875 6956 racing48@nycap.rr.com

Our schedule changes with the weather so watch http://www.icerace.com for details or shoot me a note and ask to get put on our e mail list.

You can ask questions here too we will be checking back in to answer any that come up.

Below are two video links that show what we do both from last season. The first one is from the “big stud” classes, the second is from our street legal classes and the third is a neat video done on AMEC by Mobil one the grid a few years ago.

https://vimeo.com/125333771

http://www.grid1.tv/motorsport/article/would-you-race-on-a-frozen-lake

Gas prices are way down so take advantage of the lower costs to come racing with us this year. Plus it’s only $60 to get 3 full races of 20 minutes in length plus two practice sessions!

Thanks for reading and please ask questions and I will try to answer.

Here's a pic of me racing against pro drifter Vaughn Gittin Jr.

Michael Waterhouse
Voorheesville NY
1990 Eagle Talon
12xalt
"oh! you're the one!"
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1974 Dodge Colt, under construction

Re: Best alternative to stage rally! And it's cheap! Go ice racing in upstate New York...
December 08, 2015 11:15PM
I wish. That looks fun!
Topi
Topi Hynynen
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
RWD Rollator GrF

December 19, 2015 09:05AM
Is Peter van Dacar stil racing?
I'd please to do business with him for many years.
Wanted to come and race there, like I went to Duluth once (and came home with the tallest trophy!), and compare to Scandinavian ice racing.
Topi

- RWD rocks -
OffThePace
Michael Waterhouse
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
1990 Eagle Talon AWD

Hi Topi, I recognize the name but he hasn't raced since I started in 2008. We don't give out tall trophies but we do have a lot of fun!
-Michael

Michael Waterhouse
Voorheesville NY
1990 Eagle Talon
tdrrally
edward mucklow
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
ford mustang LX 5.0, 1973 VW Beetle

if you are going to live in the north, live in the north!

I would rather drive a slow car fast as a fast car slow!
first rule of cars: get what makes you happy, your the one paying for it!
OffThePace
Michael Waterhouse
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
1990 Eagle Talon AWD

Hey Guys,
It looks like we will likely hold our first event of the 2016 season this coming weekend 1/30-31 on Tupper Lake in upstate NY. We will race both days and have a banquet Saturday night at the VFW where drinks are extremely cheap. It's my favorite event of the season and the weather looks relatively mild which could make for a great weekend of racing.

If we don't have enough ice to race on Tupper we will try to race both days on another lake. The snow depth is 0-3" depending on the lake so that means no snow banks to get stuck in.

Check out our new website at www.icerace.com

-Michael

Michael Waterhouse
Voorheesville NY
1990 Eagle Talon
OffThePace
Michael Waterhouse
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
1990 Eagle Talon AWD

The first two race days are this weekend at Tupper Lake, NY!

We are racing both Saturday and Sunday. This is our best venue with heated bathrooms, a sub shop and McDonalds across the street, a NAPA up the road, and a buffet dinner at the local VFW. It doesn't get better than.

Come check it out. Bring your helmet and you can ride along with me during practice. You can also give the 20-20 a try during lunch to see what it's like...you get 20 minutes of open track time for $20.

Michael Waterhouse
Voorheesville NY
1990 Eagle Talon
OffThePace
Michael Waterhouse
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
1990 Eagle Talon AWD

We ended up having to cancel the Tupper Lake event on Friday before the event when we found insufficient ice to lay out a track.

That didn't happen this week however! We'll be on Lake Algonquin in Wells NY which is north of Sacandaga Lake, about 1.5 hours from Albany NY. We checked the ice today and have a good 15 inches with no snow! We'll be racing both Saturday and Sunday since this weekend may be our entire 2016 season.

Come check it out and check our Facebook page for updates: https://www.facebook.com/AMEC-Adirondack-Motor-Enthusiast-Club-152647118143319/

Michael Waterhouse
Voorheesville NY
1990 Eagle Talon
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

Who puts on the Michigan or Minnesota ice races?

Grant Hughes
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login