Sean Burke
Sean Burke
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Honda CRX

Re: rally tire options
January 01, 2015 09:51PM
Snidewhips
if you go 15's theres lotsa quality pull offs available, i'm going d macks for my 14's and if i can find some 13 inch rims that clear integra brakes thats getting happening as well also, final drive options without the pesky transmission swap. do you run b series in the crx?
I had Dmack medium compound and was satisfied. I would advise against the 13" route, I spin enough as it is with 14's and the tires can be tricky to find. 13" gravel tires are damn hard to find and you sacrifice some ground clearance. Now tarmac... 13's not bad. My engine is not a B-series. Its the Dohc ZC d-series, with a shaved head. Tranny is ZC gears, quaif diff, and MFactory 4.9 final.

Steve, do you have the medium or hard compound.

Ozgur, where did Justin move to?
Please Login or Register to post a reply
turoc
Ozgur Simsek
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
working on a Veedub

January 01, 2015 10:25PM
Met up with him about a month ago to pick up DOM that he was unloading. He is moving to Oregon... He said he was gonna spend Xmas with family here and move afterward but was still trying to sort a shop/space there as the place he lined up got rented behind his back...

rally gods would turn in their graves if they ever knew Lada's were now part of EU rallying!!!
Sean Burke
Sean Burke
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Honda CRX

January 07, 2015 11:30PM
So, I just got the Black Rocket tires, and I'm not 100% enthusiastic about them. The sidewall thickness was a lot thinner than I expected. thinner than the D-macks. About half as thick as the old Michelin M4's, man those things had sidewalls like a forklift tire. But anyway, the proof is in the pudding and my car only weighs 2000lbs, we'll see how it goes.
Snidewhips
Jeremy Livingston
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1990 acura integra, 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

January 08, 2015 02:33AM
i'm paying the more to avoid punctures/catastrophe, now if my cage builder would call with a drop date (taps foot looks at watch) my hotbits ll be here in 4 days (taps foot looks at watch) sean what kinda clutch set up are you using, im running b18 non vtec with 4.4 final drive generic, need to do a clutch the instant it returns from antirolldeath installation. running enough mods to put 130 to the ground so don't wanna under or over do it. suggestions? was looking a tlight flywheels and stage 2 excedy junk, affordable and reliable from shat i understand. for rally though, not alotta feedback out there.
happy new year mah fuggahs

All bridges burnt, island life is beauty
Sean Burke
Sean Burke
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Honda CRX

January 08, 2015 10:31AM
Snidewhips
i'm paying the more to avoid punctures/catastrophe, now if my cage builder would call with a drop date (taps foot looks at watch) my hotbits ll be here in 4 days (taps foot looks at watch) sean what kinda clutch set up are you using, im running b18 non vtec with 4.4 final drive generic, need to do a clutch the instant it returns from antirolldeath installation. running enough mods to put 130 to the ground so don't wanna under or over do it. suggestions? was looking a tlight flywheels and stage 2 excedy junk, affordable and reliable from shat i understand. for rally though, not alotta feedback out there.
happy new year mah fuggahs

I use a stage 2 exedy with a standard flywheel. 212mm. haven't had any problems, you won't burn it out. stay away from the heavy racing clutches, you don't need them. good luck on your build
czwalga
steve czwalga
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
95 awd celica

January 08, 2015 12:12PM
I have the hards. I did get a chunk of the sidewall taken out at stpr on. But it also took a chunk of the braid wheel as well. Looks like I hit a very large rock sliding sideways.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

January 08, 2015 05:14PM
If anyone wants to try Maxxis 14" or some 16" gravels shoot me an email to grant@rally.build

Grant Hughes
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

January 08, 2015 10:33PM
Ummm... I take that back. Finally sat down and looked at the math and I'd have to sell the Maxxis 14" at around $225 locally to make it worth the investment. Considering you can order them direct from Demon Tweeks for around $130 + $50 shipping...

I guess with Justin moving to the west coast my argument to D-Mack that the market could support an east coast and west coast dealer is no longer valid. smiling smiley
Guess I'll keep waiting for Hoosier and in the meantime mount and balance tires for people that buy them elsewhere. Which is fine since we don't really have the capital for a bunch of tires or the space to store them and we have better projects to work on and invest in.

Grant Hughes
A1337STI
Alex Rademacher
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
93 GC with an 01 RS swap!

January 09, 2015 03:44PM
180 shipped? ya that maxxis usa site / dealer wanted like 230 i thought . that's a good bit cheaper now i need to try them. course i'm talking 185-195/65/R15

Has anyone used both maxxis and Dmack tires and have some comparison? bonus points if you did like a test day on the same stage /road/ course (rallyx?)

also has anyone else used the Dmack Mediums on an insanely hot day? I found i was setting great stage times on the medium Dmacks @ NNR a few years ago, but the tires Felt greasy , and i had a hard time feeling how close to the grip limit i was. day 2 they felt better (was cooler) but i also had a big off ... (that cost me the OA win) but meh ... that's life or at least mine
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

January 09, 2015 04:33PM
A1337STI
180 shipped? ya that maxxis usa site / dealer wanted like 230 i thought . that's a good bit cheaper now i need to try them. course i'm talking 185-195/65/R15

That was 14". The 15" is another ~$25. US distributor wants like $220 shipped but is only interested in direct sales and no dealer network at this point in time. And I think they are likely discovering that US rally market is tough.

Grant Hughes
Josh Wimpey
Josh Wimpey
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Sneak the Golf

January 09, 2015 05:22PM
Just ordered some soft compound 15" Maxxis 185/65/15s basically a 14-62-15 Michelin size wise but directional.

Will give some impressions once they arrive. Plan to use them at Sandblast

____________________________________________________________-

One. Class -- 2WD

www.quantumrallysport.com

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Quantum-Rally-Sport/281129179600?ref=nf
Towona
Tony P
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
MK2 Golf

January 22, 2015 01:13PM
JVL,

You've got a bit of background with the Black Rockets yes? What's your opinion on the suitability of the BR 22 175/70-14 on a MK2 vw (020 2Y trans with 4.81 r/p)? Thanks.

Tony

Runamuck Rally
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

January 22, 2015 08:19PM
Towona
JVL,

You've got a bit of background with the Black Rockets yes? What's your opinion on the suitability of the BR 22 175/70-14 on a MK2 vw (020 2Y trans with 4.81 r/p)? Thanks.

Tony

Haven't used 'em myself but we flew in a dozen for local test for my god friend and very fast maniac friend Derek Bottles on his GolfII which was fairly well done spec.. He's much brighter guy than I but like me he can shift into analytical mode at the drop of the hat...and since he was suupposed to be helping with impressions, he paid attention...

"Work fine, grip at least like Michelin 14-62s..Faster wear and they feel a bit "heavier' on the steering...

Can understand that as the old 14-62 x 15 was a hot tire..kevlar in the sidewalls and Michelin said--on the French site where there was more commentary "usage: 2,0 Group N ca 180-200 hp"
Nice for gearing (doesn't gear you UP)" they meant "low power", so light was nice for that..

For the price its good... somebody just today said the ChengShin "Maxxiz" in equivalent 15 is like $225/each ....yeah righteye rolling smiley

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Towona
Tony P
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
MK2 Golf

January 22, 2015 09:28PM
Thx John

Runamuck Rally
Greasecar
Justin Carven
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
'79 VW Rabbit TDI, '02 VW Golf

February 04, 2015 02:09AM
Haven't had time to check forums in a couple of months. As Ozgur mentioned I have moved to Oregon.

For anyone interested, I have pallets of competition proven, Dmack rally tires in stock and have been shipping them daily for several weeks now. Plenty of 14" and 15" in stock. Give a call or drop an email if you are looking for tires, I don't get eh chance to see every forum post. www.dmacktyresusa.com

Sean and Steve, sorry to lose your business, but hope the re-molds work out for you.

www.DMackTyresUSA.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login