NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

Re: Matthew Noble-Marker "Livin' the Dream 2015" Rally Sprint
February 19, 2015 12:49PM
tipo158
Then again, Mt. Hood had almost 37 stage miles, short transits and a $250 ($350 late) entry fee and could only get 16 cars, so maybe the demand isn't actually there to support more events.

That is astounding and disappointing.
I always have this magic number of 20 cars to be feasible for any kind of regional level event.

Grant Hughes
Please Login or Register to post a reply
steevano61
steven warren
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
1979 RX 7

February 19, 2015 03:06PM
The numbers for Hood are very disappointing. I cant say with anything other than a guess but when you add the $250 entry with the travel costs, crew, acomodations and racing expenses you're probably up around the $1000 mark for out of pockets costs. Although thats very reasonable for a good regional like Hood its still a lot for any teams that have already run OTR, Olympus, Idaho, Big White, PFR etc.

My focus has been and still is to create a handful of 1 day events that a team can enter and run, get 20-30 stage miles in and return home all inclusive for below $400 (+-). It is unfortunate that this attempt was unsuccessful but the support both before and since has been even more than I envisioned and with the additional offers to assist with any future event planning I feel even stronger that this is a good path and direction to continue forward with.

I would ask that in the future, if anyone feels there is an issue with the event, location, safety, myself or anything of this nature to please contact myself of another member of the organizers and voice their opinion in a proper and private channel rather than spreading here say, 1/2 truths or falsehoods under a cloak of secrecy to others... Its awfully difficult to address, corrected or respond when you dont know who, what or why is throwing stones. In the end, we just want to bring our version of affordable, safe and fun rally to the region and welcome input from anyone be it good or bad...

steven
steevano61
steven warren
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
1979 RX 7

February 19, 2015 03:17PM
Kevin, Here is the details:

Alright guys and gals! Test day is a GO!
NASA Rally Sport Setup by Tino`s automotive
Details Below - TESTING COST - 150.00$
March 7th
RALLY TESTING DAY IS A GO.
- Insurance Via NASA Paid in full -
- Road secured
- Clerk of the Course Gene McCullough
- We would love for a Sweep car to be there -
WE NEED HAM radio operators -
Some volunteers would be great to
http://www.nasarallysport.com/…/…/2015-Washington-Test-Day-1
Event Location will near hoquiam (1hr) down 101 from olympia
ALL COMPETITORS REQUIRE A NASA LICENSE / MED FORM -
you will not be allowed to drive or co drive with no license - Please make sure this is taken care of VIA nasa rallysport website
- http://www.nasarallysport.com/main/license
I want to be clear there are NO ride along`s other then Licensed driver/co
- drivers in any vehicles
- There will be NO timing equipment -
- There will be no NCO offered at the event (Novice Competitor Orientation) it would need to be arranged Prior to the event
- Nasa license and MED form, MED FORM!!
We do not get many days to test for this price and 100% legally. DO NOT RUIN IT.
10 CAR CAP this includes myself so as of now 9 spots are open -
Facebook.com/tinosautomotive
Facebook.com/allfoursrallyteam
https://www.facebook.com/NASARallySport
Lets have some fun everyone!
— with Randy Biehl and 19 others.
Agatino Fortunato's photo.
Agatino Fortunato's photo.
Like · · Share
steevano61
steven warren
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
1979 RX 7

February 19, 2015 03:19PM
tipo158
steevano61
Having said all that, to delve any deeper into this would at best be an attempt to clear myself and point blame elsewhere. To do so would only cause more fights, more negativity involving rally and that is the opposite of my intentions. So at this point, please accept my apology and lets move forward.

The problem is that that is not going to happen. This is going to be yet another drama in the on-going rally soap opera that people will bring up when they are pissed about something else that they didn't like or otherwise use as an example of what's wrong with rally. It doesn't matter that the story is incomplete; people will fill in the gaps to suit their own preferences.

alan

I understand that Alan, I dont however know what to do about it? I am completely open to suggestions though (either in forum or private).
northcoast
Kevin Morrison
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1998 Subaru Imp

February 19, 2015 03:30PM
Thanks for posting the details Steve. Still waiting on an answer regarding the NCO.

Hood is on my calendar for this year.
tipo158
Alan Perry
Infallible Moderator

February 19, 2015 04:46PM
steevano61
tipo158
The problem is that that is not going to happen. This is going to be yet another drama in the on-going rally soap opera that people will bring up when they are pissed about something else that they didn't like or otherwise use as an example of what's wrong with rally. It doesn't matter that the story is incomplete; people will fill in the gaps to suit their own preferences.

I understand that Alan, I dont however know what to do about it? I am completely open to suggestions though (either in forum or private).

I don't know; the toothpaste is already out of the tube on this one.

But I wanted to disagree with the inferences that the local organizers don't want to see events from other organizers or were against events that ran differently. We all want to see more rally. Tino was at last night's Olympus meeting getting advice and volunteers.

As I previously said, I am only concerned about events in the area calling themselves rallies and that put rally in a negative light because I know how easy it is for us to lose access to roads.

alan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2015 04:48PM by tipo158.
deaner
Dane Aura
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
PS4 controller

February 19, 2015 07:02PM
What's normally THE biggest issue/hang up/hurdle when organizing events? Aside from manpower.
steevano61
steven warren
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
1979 RX 7

February 19, 2015 07:51PM
deaner
What's normally THE biggest issue/hang up/hurdle when organizing events? Aside from manpower.

Very simple, Road aquisition.
deaner
Dane Aura
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
PS4 controller

February 19, 2015 08:15PM
steevano61
deaner

Very simple, Road aquisition.

No kidding? I would have figured that would be the easy part. I thought it'd be something like insurance or something. Is it getting permits to shut the roads down or how does that work? We have enduros here in MN that shut down whole state forests for a day just so we can cross or sometimes transit forest roads.
steevano61
steven warren
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
1979 RX 7

February 19, 2015 09:27PM
Be it Stage Rally or Rally Cross, land use and acquiring land/roads is a monumental task. Between Butterflies, Spotted Owls and Mazama Pocket Gophers being endangered species, to protection of streams in the forests the ecological hurdles are huge (if you can get that far). Getting permission from private landowners, corporate landowners, DNR, USFS etc is not only difficult/impossible, but it can take months if you're blessed and years to get even close too.

Enduro's are held on DNR land as is Off-Road 4x4 events but Rally is and has been a 4 letter word that entices Door Slamming and un-answered messages for quite some time now.

I am fortunate in that I have good friendships with people in different County, State and Federal Depts that have developed over the last few years from endeavors in this. Example: I spent 2 months with a blown out knee, hobbling on crutches trying to keep up with WDFW biologists as they surveyed and collected data in the field on the Mazama Pocket gopher in W. WA. That gopher will haunt me forever...lol, but the friendships forged will also last a lifetime.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2015 09:37PM by steevano61.
Anders Green
Anders Green
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Parked

February 19, 2015 09:57PM
northcoast
Still waiting on an answer regarding the NCO.

Call or email the director of your region (Kris Marciniak) to discuss that. Contact info is on the NRS Contact page.

Cheers,
Anders

Grassroots rally. It's what I think about.
12xalt
"oh! you're the one!"
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1974 Dodge Colt, under construction

February 19, 2015 11:50PM
tipo158

The PNW IS lacking in regional events.

Then again, Mt. Hood had almost 37 stage miles, short transits and a $250 ($350 late) entry fee and could only get 16 cars, so maybe the demand isn't actually there to support more events.

alan

it also wasn't announced that it was really happening till only a few weeks prior and it was on, at least from what I picked up, the least desirable of the Mt Hood roads

had there been an extra 2-3 weeks lead time, I bet there would have been more entries

had it been Gilhouley, even without the extra time, there probably would have been a lot more entries

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2015 11:54PM by 12xalt.
tipo158
Alan Perry
Infallible Moderator

February 20, 2015 01:05AM
12xalt
it also wasn't announced that it was really happening till only a few weeks prior and it was on, at least from what I picked up, the least desirable of the Mt Hood roads

had there been an extra 2-3 weeks lead time, I bet there would have been more entries

had it been Gilhouley, even without the extra time, there probably would have been a lot more entries

It was late in being announced, but, still, a $250 entry fee.

As far as roads, the 17 Road is the only road that has been used in every running of Mt Hood, including the most-recent running.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2015 11:43PM by tipo158.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

February 20, 2015 08:12AM
12xalt
the least desirable of the Mt Hood roads

Fir Mountain or Ketchum stage?

Least desirable of Mt Hood is still probably top two of OTR. Maybe it's time to move the Mt Hood rally to PIR to make it really convenient for competitors. I miss the stages out west.

Grant Hughes
12xalt
"oh! you're the one!"
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1974 Dodge Colt, under construction

February 20, 2015 08:37AM
NoCoast
12xalt
the least desirable of the Mt Hood roads

Fir Mountain or Ketchum stage?

Least desirable of Mt Hood is still probably top two of OTR. Maybe it's time to move the Mt Hood rally to PIR to make it really convenient for competitors. I miss the stages out west.

I don't recall Ketchum ever being run for Mt Hood

if they'd done it just at PIR my guess is that the entry list would have been smaller

as Alan said, it was 17 Road
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login