Posted by 12xalt 
12xalt
"oh! you're the one!"
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
1974 Dodge Colt, under construction

help with creativity for this years Olympus awards
February 21, 2015 04:53PM
Some of you know that I've been making the awards for Olympus (and Nameless) for the last two years. I've been asked to make them for the regional awards this year (national series has their own). But I've always just grabbed glass that's already existed at my work and fused two (or three) complimentary pieces together. This year I'd like to try to make at least some of them a little more personal and handmade. I'll still start with one piece of sheet glass, but then I can do designs on that glass, then fuse. I'm rather limited with my talents, so any pics/ideas need to be things I can easily trace with glue (I can't draw for crap).

Here's a few things I've done that shows my limited abilities...

recently, I did the Dakar logo

a Venture Bros plate I made for a secret santa exchange

moth wing sushi tile

one set is going to have to be rally tire tread (if someone can draw one up for me that would rock), but that's where my creativity has ended so far, I'm just not good at coming up with ideas

most of them will be 6x6 in size
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Aaron Luptak
Aaron Luptak
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Civic...

Re: help with creativity for this years Olympus awards
February 21, 2015 11:11PM
12xalt
one set is going to have to be rally tire tread (if someone can draw one up for me that would rock), but that's where my creativity has ended so far, I'm just not good at coming up with ideas

What size images wouldja like, 6x6ish? I have traced wayyy too many different tire patterns out into SVG format, so I can whip something together pretty quick.

KF7RWG
http://www.utahrallygroup.com
12xalt
"oh! you're the one!"
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:

February 21, 2015 11:42PM
Aaron Luptak
12xalt

What size images wouldja like, 6x6ish? I have traced wayyy too many different tire patterns out into SVG format, so I can whip something together pretty quick.

that would be awesome, yeah, 6x6 would work great, thanks!
corax
Keith Fritzinger
Ultra Moderator

February 23, 2015 11:38AM
Is the flag icon for Oly too fine of an image, as in, would the stars and stripes just end up as unrecognizable blurs if it was put in a corner or across the bottom?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2015 11:39AM by corax.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

February 23, 2015 12:50PM
corax
Is the flag icon for Oly too fine of an image, as in, would the stars and stripes just end up as unrecognizable blurs if it was put in a corner or across the bottom?

Well it ain't "America's World Champuionship Round" ..That was before the Inter-net so it doesn't count for anything,, may as well not have ever happened.

and besides isn't Olympus a mountain in Greece?

And if ya did gotta get rid of the FIA and SCCA logos.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Clayto
Clayton McCrary
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
XRatty purchased. Now build it!!

February 23, 2015 01:46PM
Merilee,
I too am a glass artist, now a hobbyist. I have some ideas to help. With frit or glass powder.
Make stencil with exacto knife after using whatever you can to get the details or layers you want.
With a small funnel drop frit or powder onto template while attached to glass.
Or , have you tried etching? Quite simple to add to plates you've already kilned.
corax
Keith Fritzinger
Ultra Moderator

February 23, 2015 01:56PM
john vanlandingham
Well it ain't "America's World Champuionship Round" ..That was before the Inter-net so it doesn't count for anything,, may as well not have ever happened.
. . .
And if ya did gotta get rid of the FIA and SCCA logos.

Well, yeah. That's just the first pic I found doing a quick google search. The basic emblem above has been the same for quite awhile, that's what I was suggesting.
tipo158
Alan Perry
Mega Moderator

February 23, 2015 04:07PM
john vanlandingham
Well it ain't "America's World Championship Round" ... That was before the Inter-net so it doesn't count for anything,, may as well not have ever happened.

1986-88, when the Olympus Rally was "America's World Championship Round", was not before the Internet.

alan
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

February 23, 2015 05:21PM
Could i get the rally videos on a 5" floppy?

First Rally: 2010 First RallyX: 2004 (a bunch)
Driver (0), Co-Driver (7)
Organizer (3), Volunteer (3)
Cars Built (2.5), Engines Blown (2) Cages Built (0) # of rotations (3.5)
Last Updated, Apr 9, 2023
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

February 23, 2015 06:22PM
tipo158
john vanlandingham
Well it ain't "America's World Championship Round" ... That was before the Inter-net so it doesn't count for anything,, may as well not have ever happened.

1986-88, when the Olympus Rally was "America's World Championship Round", was not before the Internet.

alan

Well from most normal human beings, ya know? Did Olympus '86 have a home page online?
Show me the live SS results on-line?
Can't do it.
So it didn't exist....even if i did the event...
How old were you in 1986?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
12xalt
"oh! you're the one!"
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:

February 23, 2015 10:20PM
corax

I was going to do one with one star and the stripes, figured even simplified it would get the point across

none of the wording though
12xalt
"oh! you're the one!"
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:

February 23, 2015 10:25PM
Clayto
Merilee,
I too am a glass artist, now a hobbyist. I have some ideas to help. With frit or glass powder.
Make stencil with exacto knife after using whatever you can to get the details or layers you want.
Or , have you tried etching? Quite simple to add to plates you've already kilned.

I haven't done any etching and I have no tools, I only use what we have available at work. I used frit to make the pieces I posted. No layers as I'm hoping to piggyback most of them in with the nightly fuse testing to cut back on costs. If I do that, they can only be two layers thick or they'll break. I'll rent kiln time if I have to, but am hoping not to need to do that. Instead of a stencil, I use transparent glass (or did with the V and the Dakar) and just trace with glue, apply the frit to the glue and then let what's not stuck fall off and then fill in as needed with clear or another color.

Also, I've got to make quite a few, so the more simple they are, the faster I can get them all done.

And really, me with an exacto knife, hahahahaha, oh if you only knew what a clutz I was

I'm not a glass artist, or really even a hobbyist, I just happen to work in the office at a glass manufacturer and play in the studio once in a while

thanks for the ideas though!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2015 10:34PM by 12xalt.
Clayto
Clayton McCrary
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
XRatty purchased. Now build it!!

February 23, 2015 11:45PM
12xalt
Clayto
Merilee,

I haven't done any etching and I have no tools, I only use what we have available at work. I used frit to make the pieces I posted. No layers as I'm hoping to piggyback most of them in with the nightly fuse testing to cut back on costs. If I do that, they can only be two layers thick or they'll break. I'll rent kiln time if I have to, but am hoping not to need to do that. Instead of a stencil, I use transparent glass (or did with the V and the Dakar) and just trace with glue, apply the frit to the glue and then let what's not stuck fall off and then fill in as needed with clear or another color.

Also, I've got to make quite a few, so the more simple they are, the faster I can get them all done.

And really, me with an exacto knife, hahahahaha, oh if you only knew what a clutz I was

I'm not a glass artist, or really even a hobbyist, I just happen to work in the office at a glass manufacturer and play in the studio once in a while

thanks for the ideas though!

No problem!
You did some nice work on the last run for Olympussmiling smiley even if you only work in the office.
tipo158
Alan Perry
Mega Moderator

February 24, 2015 06:17PM
john vanlandingham
tipo158
john vanlandingham

alan

Well from most normal human beings, ya know? Did Olympus '86 have a home page online?
Show me the live SS results on-line?
Can't do it.
So it didn't exist....even if i did the event...
How old were you in 1986?

I got my Bachelor's degree in 1986. In 1982, I was starting flamewars on Usenet, which is functionally the same as forums.

Of course, there wasn't a home page because that didn't exist until the web browser was created in the 90s.

Ben could have been putting scores up on Usenet. I don't know when he got to Reed, but they were among the first group of sites on Usenet in 1981. I first met him there when I was putting Lotus F1 stuff up on Usenet before I even knew what rally was.

Normal human beings used BBSes on their Apple IIs and the online service that eventually became AOL on their Commodores. By 1986, I knew lots of non-technical people who were on Usenet.

alan

P.S. As far as the original topic, Olympus still uses a logo based on the old WRC logo. I can provide a file with the current artwork if you want to base the awards on that.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

February 24, 2015 07:03PM
Those were not by any standard "normal people"

Obviously

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login