Posted by NoCoast 
cbombara
Colin Bombara
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
00 Impreza RSTI

Re: Bullshit hype
December 17, 2007 10:35AM
Lisa has been overhyped since she first got in a rally car. I remember her at Cherokee '05...maybe her 3rd event (don't know, don't really care) handing out self promotional shit at service and then proceeding to hold me up for over 3 min on stage. I don't understand all the hype/support/sponsorship personally, what motivation anyone finds in trying to turn her into a "rally star" is beyond me.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

December 17, 2007 12:05PM
cbombara Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lisa has been overhyped since she first got in a
> rally car. I remember her at Cherokee '05...maybe
> her 3rd event (don't know, don't really care)
> handing out self promotional shit at service and
> then proceeding to hold me up for over 3 min on
> stage. I don't understand all the
> hype/support/sponsorship personally, what
> motivation anyone finds in trying to turn her into
> a "rally star" is beyond me.

It was the same thing with "Subie-gal"â„¢.
RELENTLESS nonstop 28 hours a day hype and self promotion of extremely modest results (like second from last OA in a "P" car that she knew full well was full of illegal parts)
I remember looking at Oregon Trail coverage down at Dave Clarks shop---cause I want ed to see jardevall and Lane hammering, not P cars crawling----and it turned into a particularly distasteful 30+ minutes of "Subie-Gal"â„¢ wailing and seriously RANTING
"It's not FAIR!!!!!!!!! I don't UNDERSTAND IT!!!!!!!! WAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!! There's NO COVERAGE OF ME and I WON!!!!!!!!"

I am a man of near limitless patience but after maybe 20 minutes of these rhetorical "why didn't they show MEEEEE!!!!!!! I WON!!!!!!! WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!"
I finally quietly suggested "Maybe its because you won only P class with no other cars finishing and you were second from last overall and it wasn't very exciting to watch?"

That got the goddam volume and treble turned up to "11"!

"But I won!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!"

It's times like that that I'm glad i don't carry a concealed weapon cause i was wondering if "mercy killing to save the rest of us from committing suicide" would be justtifieable grounds for.....

no Mongo!!!! must not kill Dave's customers!!!

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
mothra
Matt Smith
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
xr4ti

December 17, 2007 12:34PM
I remember that event. I traded stage times with Lisa all day and we were not pushing very hard. I think it was my second event.

Colin was quick...I managed to quickly exit the road on an off camber R4 into L3 in order to let him by. No mist is redder than when you get caught on stage.

Matt Smith

Racing in glorious black and red

My daily life is a Saab story (sold!)
DR1665
Brian Driggs
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Keyboard. Deal with it.

December 17, 2007 01:21PM
john vanlandingham Wrote:
> "mercy killing to save the rest of us from committing
> suicide" would be justtifieable grounds for.....
>
> no Mongo!!!! must not kill Dave's customers!!!

There, there, Taggart. Just a girl and a Subaru being hung.

This thread is hilarious. I can see where everyone is coming from, but with regards to Lisa's marketing efforts, well, I think Thoreau said it best when he said, "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams; live the live you have imagined."

If her publicity efforts are bringing people to rally, then I stand to benefit in a round-about sort of way, so I'm not losing any sleep over it.

Brian Driggs | KG7KCA | PHX, AZ | 89 Pajero
alterius non sit qui suus esse potest
starion887
starion887
Senior Moderator

December 17, 2007 02:06PM
Seems like a pattern herein......

I recall Kendall Russell running rallies all over the country and getting mostly grief for holding up a few guys on stage. Then Jamie. Now Lisa. Seems like a case where a lot of guys don't feel too good about a lady driver of moderate accomplishments doing any self-promotion and getting ahead.

Race drivers in general are very prone to self promotion. It makes sense; you gotta have something to sell to sponsors, and the driver is part of the product package. I stink at self-promotion. But if someone does it well, and gets money and sponsors out of it, then OK by me. I don't have to listen to it or buy that product.

I'd much prefer to look at Lisa than Travis any day.

Regards,
Mark B.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

December 17, 2007 04:11PM
DR1665 Wrote:
> If her publicity efforts are bringing people to
> rally, then I stand to benefit in a round-about
> sort of way.

No. You do not. This is a misconception that is rampant right now. What the fuck does rally need more people for and how would it possibly benefit you. What US rally needs is more drivers with talent.

You know the Kaaz booth had incar from Lisa playing at SEMA. That means every person that stopped and watched it thought, "So this is what rally is." I got a heated call from a friend saying, "Oh my fucking god Grant, I thought they were showing a fucking video of a leisurely drive on a Sunday it was so slow. It was pitiful."

Here's a highly entertaining note that the same someone sent me that apparently they didn't want to publicly state.

"What a zero talent, gold digging, straight up fucking joke!!! Non merit based opportunities are disgusting. U.S. motorsports are stupid-it's all about how much money you have and who you know. There are no driver searches or junior feeder programs like in Europe. Don't worry, Rallye Slut doesn't even have the talent to get her D1 license-just fucking watch."

Grant Hughes
CommanderSalamander
Dave Shindle/Navitron 2000
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Someone has to call the notes

Bullshit hype
December 17, 2007 10:17PM
cbombara Wrote:
> I don't understand all the
> hype/support/sponsorship personally, what
> motivation anyone finds in trying to turn her into
> a "rally star" is beyond me.

Or to lose a divorce, then a business, now a historic rallycar. Maybe we should have an P-whipped intervention.
Do It Sidewayz
Chris Martin
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
E-85 powered Impreza

December 18, 2007 12:20AM
Frustrating isn't it!

i've been racing for half my life now..i started in karts when i was 12.

I've seen guys/girls get rides, big sponsorship money etc. because they toot their horn, even if they finish last every time!

really it's all about who you know, or who your parents are (and which company they own).

Don't even get me started on some people in rallying....

I'll tell ya what makes you feel better...Get out there and beat them in some old rusty POS. Then see who's laughing.

Chris
dtompsett
Doug Tompsett
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
'84 Scirocco Rally car... '88 90q project

December 18, 2007 07:51AM
Deleted.

Vented my frustration. Perhaps said something I shouldn't have. Ultimately realized I just badmouthed someone I consider to be a friend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2007 08:11AM by dtompsett.
cbombara
Colin Bombara
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
00 Impreza RSTI

December 18, 2007 09:11AM
I would never talk badly about any female driver because they are female. I think female participation in rally is great and adds appeal to the event. And any female that comes to an event, drives hard, and gets a good result should earn some respect among her peers....just like any male driver.

I do however have a problem with a female driver who comes to an event and acts like an attention whore and over-promotes mediocre accomplishments. In fact, I feel the same way about male drivers who do the same thing (like Nat'l competitors who get crushed by the regional guys and brag about their championship). It is not a way to earn the respect of your peers, in fact it does the opposite.

I have only met one woman driver in my ~9 years of automobile racing that wasn't a self promoting attention whore. She is/was as fast as the male drivers and commands respect from anyone she races against because she is hard to beat. In her form of racing they offer ladies classes and she told me that she thought that women should not get special consideration/attention, that they should earn their result on performance, not the fact that they were a woman. She could have dominated the ladies classes but chose to run with the men...If women want respect they need to act more like her and less like they are trying to win a popularity contest.

-C
heymagic
Banned
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

December 18, 2007 10:59AM
Over promotion and under performing hurts any sport in general. Everytime a sponsor is lied to or disappointed it makes it twice as hard for the next guy. I've seen good sponsors leave racing over bad results from a lying racer. Celebrating achievements is one thing, making grandiose statements about future performance is another.

I don't think any of the guys have a problem with women competing, or doing well for that matter. Shannon Millen was just one of the guys. I swapped many stage times with her, usually losing in the end to her better tires and car. But she drove that thing to win. Janice Damitio kicked plenty of butt when she was driving also. I remember doing paved hill climbs years ago. There was a gal running a Formula Atlantic or some such open wheeled, bat winged wonder. She was usually in contention for the overall win. Fast car yes..but she was a fast driver also..nothing but respect for her.

I guess it depends on whether the promotion is about talent or tits...after all, other than writing accurately in the snow, women are capable of doing most any chores men can.

JohnLane
John Lane
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
The Fire Breathing Monster

December 18, 2007 11:01AM
I have no issue with a good female driver. Janice fits the description of good driver. Janice put us boyz in our place when things were going well for her.

Kendall Russell was soooooo hung up on her 'earned' (towing) road placement that she would not let me ahead of her in the control zone when asked. Predictably I caught her within a mile or so of the stage start and got to sit behind her ass for three(?) miles flashing HID lights, blowing the horn trying to get her to move the fuck out of the way. She would not let me pass her in the control because "She did not want to encounter me sideways in the road." I wadded my car up badly when I got caught in her dust. If it sounds like I'm still bitter it is cuz I still am. The only reason she did not get bumped off the road is the expensive HID lights would have been damaged in giving her a kiss.

JohnLane

Overkill is consistently more fun
randyzimmer
randy zimmer
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
rallycross 13B Miata

December 18, 2007 01:56PM
tee hee
AlanO
Alan Ockwell
Senior Moderator

December 18, 2007 07:49PM
Deleted - no hard feelings, Doug! And thanks for the email.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2007 12:16PM by AlanO.
dtompsett
Doug Tompsett
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
'84 Scirocco Rally car... '88 90q project

December 19, 2007 07:42AM
Deleted.

I apologize for any ill-made comments I made in regards to you Alan.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2007 08:16AM by dtompsett.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login