northcoast
Kevin Morrison
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
1998 Subaru Imp

Re: Meanwhile in Oregon
April 27, 2015 12:34PM
john vanlandingham

Nothing unusual, just buying junkyard parts and stick it in a newish car..
doing that result is nice ....

That's more like it.

If you're not impressed by a wheat farmer/parts store manager/super nice guy on a regional privateer's budget posting those times in his 4th event... well confused smiley

I have to agree with hoche and everyone else trying to follow from a distance. RA needs to step up the scoring. If it wasn't for social media and texts from guys in service staying up to date was very difficult. Higgins and Duplessis weren't the only ones to blow motors. A couple of the OL guys did too.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
mellow65
Oliver Klozoff
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Nada

April 27, 2015 12:39PM
Robert Culbertson
It was going rad until this happened at speed.

Dang dawg, that broken bit sure looks rather thin, who thought that was a good idea to put on a rally car?

as you can see here, there's no meat to the outer upright. And then it's sleeved! you know, to remove extra strength.

Whoever thought this was a good idea should thank his lucky stars no one was hurt or killed either on stage on a public road!

"Rally racing makes a heroin addiction look like a vague craving for something salty"
ALS FTW
Don K. Oates
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
looking

April 27, 2015 01:39PM
john vanlandingham
Doing that result is nice and all but it really is a comment on the others...
And what comment is that about the guys you started the thread about... that with years of experience were a solid 12+ minutes behind this 'modest' finish in his fourth event?

Is it that hard for you to recognize someone for - if nothing else - driving faster than modestly?
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

April 27, 2015 02:09PM
ALS FTW
john vanlandingham
Doing that result is nice and all but it really is a comment on the others...
And what comment is that about the guys you started the thread about... that with years of experience were a solid 12+ minutes behind this 'modest' finish in his fourth event?

Is it that hard for you to recognize someone for - if nothing else - driving faster than modestly?

I said its nice....I'm just not interested in the buy everything and a new car and go drive just like a whole pile of other cars with turbo and all wheel drive..... Higgins drives well...

other than that I'm interested in cars that people I know drive...Dave Clark the New and Improved. Known him and talked with him since before he started and been a fan and help him from first event, Doo Wops 20??when I co-drove with Al Kun and when the builder of that car, Sean Medcroft, he and Al all started...
THAT's what my interest is....

The Hintzs', known for long time, like 'em, and they've been around so a good benchmark...

THAT's my interest...

The few new shiney Subies at the top simply is uninteresting to me...

But hey you can start a thread if you fell that those few guys need more cheerleading....go ahead, nobodys stopping you.

Me I'll just go review how bad they all got spanked by a 1.6 normal aspirated car---driver by a good driver just a couple of years ago...

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

April 27, 2015 02:19PM
mellow65
Robert Culbertson

Dang dawg, that broken bit sure looks rather thin, who thought that was a good idea to put on a rally car?

as you can see here, there's no meat to the outer upright. And then it's sleeved! you know, to remove extra strength.

Whoever thought this was a good idea should thank his lucky stars no one was hurt or killed either on stage on a public road!

I'm of course way concerned any time there is a failure, particularly an odd failure...
Odd in that the exact design ran for years and years on other cars here in the PNW...

And sleeve....Those units was done and delivered originally for Arno, and I don't recall using any sleeves in there...I would remember, so I wonder...

Reports were that somebody called a note wrong and they "hit a rock"...lotta rocks out there so I sure as hell hope it was a big rock...Very concerned, and baffled...

Of course we'll never know.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
12xalt
"oh! you're the one!"
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1974 Dodge Colt, under construction

April 27, 2015 02:53PM
Todd already had found, purchased and brought home an eagle summit for parts before I even left for work today

I feel rather unproductive now, lol
northcoast
Kevin Morrison
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
1998 Subaru Imp

April 27, 2015 02:56PM
That's awesome. Sounds like he might have it back together for Olympus at that rate.
12xalt
"oh! you're the one!"
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1974 Dodge Colt, under construction

April 27, 2015 03:06PM
northcoast
That's awesome. Sounds like he might have it back together for Olympus at that rate.

no money for olympus, that would be awesome though if he could find a way

he was being so conservative while learning the new car at speed and notes and new codriver, he just needs to get some seat time again and get back into the swing of it (and be able to afford better suspension)
Rallymech
Robert Gobright
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
91 VW GTI 8V

April 27, 2015 03:21PM
The knuckle that broke on Roberts car did not have "sleeved" bolt holes.

The part broke on a straight.

The driver did not mention any problems with the notes.

Robert.

"You are way too normal to be on Rally Anarchy." Eddie Fiorelli.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2015 03:23PM by Rallymech.
mellow65
Oliver Klozoff
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Nada

April 27, 2015 03:26PM
Rallymech
The knuckle that broke on Roberts car did not have "sleeved" bolt holes.

Then what do you call the sleeve the bolt is currently residing in?

lets zoom in some

that sure the heck doesn't look like the bolt, you would see the back side of the hole if it was.

"Rally racing makes a heroin addiction look like a vague craving for something salty"
mellow65
Oliver Klozoff
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Nada

April 27, 2015 03:43PM
Not unless the bolt and hole are so perfectly machined together, and the bolt is a shoulder bolt with the exact length that is looks like a sleeve. If that's the case, I will stand corrected, but that would go against most everything I have ever seen when mounting struts to spindles.

mellow65
Oliver Klozoff
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Nada

April 27, 2015 04:15PM
john vanlandingham
mellow65
Robert Culbertson

I'm of course way concerned any time there is a failure, particularly an odd failure...
Odd in that the exact design ran for years and years on other cars here in the PNW...

And sleeve....Those units was done and delivered originally for Arno, and I don't recall using any sleeves in there...I would remember, so I wonder...

Reports were that somebody called a note wrong and they "hit a rock"...lotta rocks out there so I sure as hell hope it was a big rock...Very concerned, and baffled...

Of course we'll never know.

Ok, I'm going to bust your chops for a second, and then give credit where credit is due.

I see what you are trying to do with the whole system,

Your goal is to make the strut line up as straight as possible with the original, the problem with that system is where you need to mount the strut. Your plan is to mount it to outside of the strut and fit a mounting system between the strut and the rotor. This leaves little room for a mounting system, hence the reason why everything needs to be compact.

There was no doubt it broke at the bolt, and there is no doubt it broke on the outside first. If you were to draw a force diagram of what happens when the bottom of the tire has an inward force the outside of the upright goes into tension and the fact it's rather small, it tore first. Which is why I had noticed a positive camber as they were leaving for sunday.

When you look at something say, like a subaru, the lower hole is behind a crap ton of metal on the outside.

This is capable of withstanding that tension force.

That all being said, it's an interesting idea, but honestly, it needs a lot more metal in there. As for the others that are out there using this, I feel they have gotten lucky to this point.

As for your credit where credit is due, I do like your tabs on your shocks. Very robust looking and the fact they wrap partially around the housing is much stronger than others I have seen where they are virtually a butt joint to the tube.

Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Ultra Moderator

April 27, 2015 04:16PM
john vanlandingham

That's very cute John. I hope you get more accurate information next time from whomever....

The only real rough bit the car saw all weekend was from a left 4 with some fist sized gravel. Some embedded rocks as well, but nothing large and hidden.

FYI, the insert still plunges smoothly.
Reamer
Jeff Reamer
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru

April 27, 2015 04:44PM
I had enough patience to wait for the scores to come in on the RA web sight.

I am surprised at how much a 33mm restrictor slowed down Higgins. I would guess close to 5 sec a mile slower. Dave Sterckx was with in 1 sec a mile of Higgins a lot of the rally.

It seems guys who jump from bikes to rallycars are able to adjust pretty quickly. Jake Marsack has adjusted quick also.

Not sure how the rule works with the 33mm restrictor. With Higgins being slower now with the 33mm and Adam Yeoman with a 34mm his speed factor should raise from 92 to 95 pretty easy. Will Adam need a 33mm restrictor for Olympus?

First rally 2013
Rally car type AWD subaru
Total rallies as driver 6
Total rally cars built 2
Total rally cars caged 3
Total rally cars repaired from offs 4
Total years racing exp other then rally 19 yrs
Like 31motorsports on FB!
Check out 31motor sales on ebay for used Subaru parts
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Ultra Moderator

April 27, 2015 04:52PM
This is how Sunday Funday went for us.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login