Wedge
Matt Barnes
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
TOYOTA PASEO

Re: Toyota Yaris Stage Car
May 29, 2015 12:05AM
Andrew_Frick
So on a more important point related to this topic. What is the plural of Yaris. If several of them showed up at an event?

Yari, Yarises, or is it like Moose where it is its own plural?????

I think its like nemesis... So... Yarises? pronounced like "Yaris-ease"

Right now, someone somewhere is practicing. And when you face him, he will beat you.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Mad Matt F
Matt Follett
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Don't Laugh, the Justy is Fun!

May 29, 2015 12:12AM
Wedge
Mad Matt F
Matt B... you know you want it... bad. come on DOOO EEEET

Yaris is a Paseo with modern tech and more power. I could win races with one of those things!

Put some JVABS in there, and I won't be tempted to leave the bump stops out this time! winking smiley Kidding, kidding! winking smiley
Snidewhips
Jeremy Livingston
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1990 acura integra, 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

May 29, 2015 12:37AM
what!!!!! whos rally yaris and where?

All bridges burnt, island life is beauty
Fly-Half
Roderick Thomas
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
I have one now

May 29, 2015 11:18AM
John you're an idiot.

RWD is shit and FWD is good.

I haz evidence.

That is Derik Nelson on the right who finished 3rd Overall (and 2WD winners by a long way) in their POS 20 year old M3.

See if we had moar FWD cars (maybe a couple of Yarii) then perhaps a FWD would be in that spot.
ALS FTW
Don K. Oates
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
looking

May 29, 2015 12:08PM
What I'm getting from all of this - and correct me if I'm getting it wrong - but:

The sport in North-America is essentially at a level where the drivers are not any where near getting the car's potential speed out of it. Most teams relatively 'putter' around closed roads and would be seriously humbled if 'real' competitors were to come out and run in similar equipment.

What that tells me is that while the spec of the car can make life easier, the spec of the driver will bring the results. (see man in 70s winning 2wd in a production Yardis or winnig 2wd in a 1600cc EA68, or whatever)
Wedge
Matt Barnes
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
TOYOTA PASEO

May 29, 2015 02:46PM
ALS FTW
What that tells me is that while the spec of the car can make life easier, the spec of the driver will bring the results. (see man in 70s winning 2wd in a production Yardis or winnig 2wd in a 1600cc EA68, or whatever)

My sig says it all

Right now, someone somewhere is practicing. And when you face him, he will beat you.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

May 29, 2015 02:55PM
ALS FTW
What I'm getting from all of this - and correct me if I'm getting it wrong - but:

The sport in North-America is essentially at a level where the drivers are not any where near getting the car's potential speed out of it. Most teams relatively 'putter' around closed roads and would be seriously humbled if 'real' competitors were to come out and run in similar equipment.

Don, thought exercise for a second: you think that Taisto, or Latavala, or Hirvonen, or Solberg (240 VOLVO FOREVER!!!) or Vatanen or Kankunen or (on and on and on and on and on)

would have ever LEARNED to become good is they had drive POS weird junk cars "because it's unique" or "because some guy said he "liked it" "?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Wedge
Matt Barnes
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
TOYOTA PASEO

May 29, 2015 04:33PM
john vanlandingham
thought exercise for a second: you think that Taisto, or Latavala, or Hirvonen, or Solberg (240 VOLVO FOREVER!!!) or Vatanen or Kankunen or (on and on and on and on and on)

would have ever LEARNED to become good is they had drive POS weird junk cars "because it's unique" or "because some guy said he "liked it" "?

Short answer:
"Yes"

Long answer:
"The strongest steel is forged from the hottest fire, and the seeds of strength are often contained within the husk of weakness."

In my experience and observation, the best drivers come from areas with the toughest competition, not the fastest cars. They push each other, and learn from each other, and build on each others experience, making the whole group even faster. Doesn't matter what they drive, all that matters is the competition.
By contrast, when the competition is low, there is very little incentive for a driver to push harder or learn to be faster. Why risk the car if you're already top of the class?

Not only that, but slower cars teach lots of good racing habits, like maintaining speed instead of relying on power to get good times.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2015 04:57PM by Wedge.
MattP
Matt Pullen
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Ford StRanger

May 29, 2015 06:09PM
Cos a North Americian V4 Saab is/was a leading contender in the POS weird junk car title and you are its leading exponent. We all run whatever we want to run for our own reasons, some of them may be misguided or misinformed choices, however I would rather be out having fun in my locost Ranger than sitting at home on the internet berating all those who have these "POS weird junk cars" and god forbid if it's Blue and has 4wd because those will never catch on....Jeez

Yes, it's a Ranger.
Xr4Ti, it is rwd and was made in Germany.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

May 29, 2015 06:13PM
Wedge
john vanlandingham
thought exercise for a second: you think that Taisto, or Latavala, or Hirvonen, or Solberg (240 VOLVO FOREVER!!!) or Vatanen or Kankunen or (on and on and on and on and on)

Short answer:
"Yes"

Long answer:
"The strongest steel is forged from the hottest fire, and the seeds of strength are often contained within the husk of weakness."

In my experience and observation, the best drivers come from areas with the toughest competition, not the fastest cars.

They push each other, and learn from each other, and build on each others experience, making the whole group even faster. Doesn't matter what they drive, all that matters is the competition.
By contrast, when the competition is low, there is very little incentive for a driver to push harder or learn to be faster. Why risk the car if you're already top of the class?

Not only that, but slower cars teach lots of good racing habits, like maintaining speed instead of relying on power to get good times.

America is infested with 30+ classes of mainly slow cars in Otter-cross, and SCCA roadracing..mainly suicide-inducing slow cars..You watch them, you wanna shot yourself...

Why are there zero Mericans drivers in anything except buy your ride packages in the world?

The best drivers come from where the competition is toughest---and the equipment is some fairly realistic approximation of "the real thing"...

Matt at 17 (a month from 18) I moved to Sweden for the competition in moto-cross...I know this concept...Lots of deep competition...If I went to an all 250B event----they had them---or a "all B" deal and there were 100 250B riders (only A and B in Sweden then) then 93 were 1-2 year old Huqvarnas, 2-3 were CZ, amybe 2 Maicos, and maybe an Ossa and a Bultaco...

basically all "pretty damn good stuff" : REAL moto-cross bikes....(with very good suspension, real close ratio boxes, real final drive, real power---30hp art a time when 31.5 was what factory bikes made---regardless of the BS published then or since..
Not tooo far off "the real thing"

It was the COMBINATION of mass particpation WITH basically pretty damn good stuff that lead them to crank out World Championship level----or for some of us just below that level smoking smiley---- for so long...even if it took me 10 years.drinking smiley
Just like Finland produced for decades an endless stream of top level drivers.

And, you are flat wrong, it does matter what they drive...If all the guys I raced against were all on 1968 Yamaha trail bies, neither they nor I would learn anything truly enlightening..

If in rally everybody but 2-3 were in Dodge Colt Vistas, the only thing you learn is how shitty and out of place a stock car is..
Hardly much insight.

Here, the bizarre compulsion of a worrying percentage of noobies to invest "whatever" in the idea of "uniqueness" or "its interesting" is just flat odd and does nobody any good..
They indulge their weird ass whim, do 3 events and dump the car and either drop out forever or the bankrupt themselves on "moving UP!" to a Blue Subaru.

Competition in competent equipment....in depth.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

May 29, 2015 06:18PM
MattP
Cos a North Americian V4 Saab is/was a leading contender in the POS weird junk car title and you are its leading exponent. We all run whatever we want to run for our own reasons, some of them may be misguided or misinformed choices, however I would rather be out having fun in my locost Ranger than sitting at home on the internet berating all those who have these "POS weird junk cars" and god forbid if it's Blue and has 4wd because those will never catch on....Jeez

Hey Pullen, you talk a lotta shit so where to begin is pointless but at least get this right.
Saab 96 is neither weird or a POS..
Good enough to beat every fucking whinging Pommie bastid on their own turf repeatedly...all thru the 60s and well into the 70s..

Second--I NEVER recommended it for anybody else....
I got people into easy to mod cars: RWD Opels...and later RWD cars with parts we could get EASY that were stronger and a FRACTION of the cost...

Same drum beaten then..

So piss off.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
MattP
Matt Pullen
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Ford StRanger

May 29, 2015 06:21PM
ok

Yes, it's a Ranger.
Xr4Ti, it is rwd and was made in Germany.
ALS FTW
Don K. Oates
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
looking

May 29, 2015 07:37PM
Ok, so now this gets interesting. (and is a good thought exercise)

Like Matt (cool smiley I've seen that when someone competes with a 'higher quality' opponent, their 'game' usually rises to the challenge. (I haven't seen this personally in motorsports, too noobular, but have seen it in a variety of other settings - including playing pool in bars for money.)

It is easy to see that being in a group of better players, and having your ass handed to you, is a great way to learn and improve. The given is that most things are equal, and that YOU are the variable. (This matches John's experience racing mostly good bikes in a deep euro field)

But, I've also seen it work differently. There are times where playing 'hobbled' can make you focus on certain skills. (grabbing a less than straight 21oz cue for break shots, as an example) Particularly when you want to focus on personal development, hobbling the equipment to some degree makes a lot of sense.

On the flip-side, if the equipment is 'right,' but the competition is awash with 'blind men' following the advice of the one-eyed man, how do you know that your skills are growing and it isn't the advantage of the proper 'kit.'

When it comes to development, there is something to be said for 'punching above your weight.'
Wedge
Matt Barnes
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
TOYOTA PASEO

May 29, 2015 08:04PM
ALS FTW
But, I've also seen it work differently. There are times where playing 'hobbled' can make you focus on certain skills. (grabbing a less than straight 21oz cue for break shots, as an example) Particularly when you want to focus on personal development, hobbling the equipment to some degree makes a lot of sense.

I've done that in racing. I ice raced an MR2 with horribly old worn out snow tires for a couple seasons, because I wanted to work on things like traction sensing and smoothness with the pedals and steering. I wasn't trying to win, all I wanted was to improve with every race and try to get as much speed as humanly possible with what I had. And in spite of being hobbled with basically no traction to speak of, I never finished last, except for my first race.

ALS FTW
Don K. Oates
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
looking

May 29, 2015 08:19PM
john vanlandingham
So piss off.

You seem a little testy John.

Talking about little testes, what's your next event with the stRanger Matt? Any Test Days coming up?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login