Posted by Paddy1337 
Paddy1337
Tim Patrick
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Galant VR-4

Avg Speed/max speed for east coast rallies
June 03, 2015 07:19PM
I'm taking gear ratios in detail with people who know my car better than me. (They weren't still in their diapers when my car was built,like I was).

What kinds of speeds do middle pack guys run? To be specific Sandblast, RWV, and really all NRS stages... I feel like I'll make way better times being significantly faster from 0-55mph range, even if it means my car is out of ass at 100. Am I retarded? What's a good top speed I should calculate as mechanically able to achieve?

Restrictor hurts me in upper rpm. 5spd in case that's not assumed.

Cheers
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Paddy1337
Tim Patrick
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Galant VR-4

Re: Avg Speed/max speed for east coast rallies
June 03, 2015 07:40PM
Or maybe I should ask, how short is too short?
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 03, 2015 07:44PM
More than 90% of all US rallies are in the 25-90mph range...
within that 80+% is like 40-70 again and again...

US events see on average for the "best-of-the-rest"---the guys other than Blockstrana Higgins---as high as the average on the Dubya Arsey
Example---last year on the same day as WRC Finland was Maine "National" rally..
Block loses on each stage about what the typical gap is overall for the entire event...so safe to say while the PLACING of 10th or whatever sounds good, the gap is seveal days--he's not on the same page..
That day while the best guys in the whole world were averaging 73 and 74mph to the oooooohhh and aaaaahs of the speccies,
Block and some other rich guy were averaging on several stages

80 mph...

The roads TEND to be very fast, and I'd say---I'm sure all the Experts from Alberta who have never done a rally from will Goggle some contradictory something---the thing that is important--or an ADVANTAGE is quick ax in the 50-90 range.

But not to sweat things too much...

You ever flip that motor around so you can use stock Evobitchi gearboxes?
They are BAAAAAD ass boxes mang.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Anders Green
Anders Green
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Parked

June 03, 2015 08:20PM
Paddy1337
What kinds of speeds do middle pack guys run? To be specific Sandblast, RWV, and really all NRS stages...

Have you looked at any of the results pages for those rallies?

http://www.nasarallysport.com/main/schedule

On each of the results pages, there's a link specifically titled "Average Speeds".

Cheers,
Anders

Grassroots rally. It's what I think about.
Paddy1337
Tim Patrick
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Galant VR-4

June 03, 2015 08:33PM
I thought about it, even here on my mobile (all I have away on work), but realized even an average speed probably is over my head. Other than comparing 2 drivers.

I think John summed it pretty good for me. I expected more lower speed turns, like 25mph.

John, I'm positive I'll buy a second evo and rally it before I get an evo engine/drivetrain in the gaylant
czwalga
steve czwalga
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
95 awd celica

June 03, 2015 08:54PM
Paddy1337
I thought about it, even here on my mobile (all I have away on work), but realized even an average speed probably is over my head. Other than comparing 2 drivers.

I think John summed it pretty good for me. I expected more lower speed turns, like 25mph.

John, I'm positive I'll buy a second evo and rally it before I get an evo engine/drivetrain in the gaylant

25mph? This isnt rallyx.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 03, 2015 11:08PM
czwalga
Paddy1337

25mph? This isnt rallyx.
Steve
I don't know if I can find them but waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in like 06-07 some of the Dubya Arsey TV coverage when they did in car stuff they showed a bunch of extra junk on the screen at same time and over several rallies you could see that even the best ever Sebastian Loeb and the only guy really able to challenge him Grönholm they came to a T junction the lowest speed seen was right around 40-42km/hr aka 25 mph...
I had to run the vid back like 7-8 times to catch the number cause as i always say braking is the difference and the hardest skill and most fruitful...and those guys can brake...so it was steep cascade of numbers then BRAAP on the gas and the numbers shot up..equally rapidly as the fell.

It jives with stuff i'd seen years before in the best days of Group A like 92-95..

We don't have lots of T junctions or 120dergree acute turns but occasionally we do--that's why i say the "typical" range and then within that 25-90 mostly its 40-75/or whatever..

Rally where there are lts of 90s or more really is a drag race between corners..
Here its more a high speed "What do you dare" deal too often...like half the field at RNY a few years back averaging 80mpg..
da fuq?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
MattP
Matt Pullen
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Ford StRanger

June 04, 2015 08:09AM
In Alberta we don't need Google, we actually get out there and rally.... below is a link to the times for Stage 7 at the recent Radium Hot Springs Rally. it's all in Kmh, but you get the idea..

http://cscc.ab.ca/Radium/2015/Results/event1/stagedetail/l3s1s5.html

Yes, it's a Ranger.
Xr4Ti, it is rwd and was made in Germany.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 04, 2015 10:18AM
MattP
In Alberta we don't need Google, we actually get out there and rally.... below is a link to the times for Stage 7 at the recent Radium Hot Springs Rally. it's all in Kmh, but you get the idea..

You're biggest fan--who of course has never even done a single rally- seems to live by Google..

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
MattP
Matt Pullen
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Ford StRanger

June 04, 2015 10:21AM
john vanlandingham
MattP

You're biggest fan--who of course has never even done a single rally- seems to live by Google..

No, my mum has never rallied.

Yes, it's a Ranger.
Xr4Ti, it is rwd and was made in Germany.
ALS FTW
Don K. Oates
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
looking

June 04, 2015 11:48AM
Ahh, JV's famous bravado... sniping obtusely at people with just enough vagueness that it gives him wiggle room to deny the comment being about anyone specific.

I'm hardly going to be apologetic about using internet research as one of many tools to educate myself about a sport. (Google led me here afterall) And I'm sure not going to take flak for using google from someone who leans on it daily for everything from translating into 'cool' languages to doing parts searchers for the 'magic bean' bits that make everything in the world work better.

Wut-evs, its like feathers off a ducks back to me.

I can assure you I'm not Matt's biggest fan but, it's hard not to admire the guy who, according to what I can find on google:
- Volunteers whenever he can
- Takes on a leadership role in the governing body when it is sorely needed
- Organises an event after the planned orgs. step down 6 weeks before the event, without notice.
- Brings new volunteers into the sport
- Helps new competitors learn by taking them under his wing
- Simply has fun in the sport
- Quick to share a laugh with anyone in the sport, even if he's at the centre of the humour.
- Hangs around AT events... including volunteering with his buddy Stan d'Oun as recovery for RMR last year after DNFing on the shakedown/Media stage.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 04, 2015 03:05PM
ALS FTW
Ahh, JV's famous bravado... sniping obtusely at people with just enough vagueness that it gives him wiggle room to deny the comment being about anyone specific.

I'm hardly going to be apologetic about using internet research as one of many tools to educate myself about a sport. (Google led me here afterall) And I'm sure not going to take flak for using google from someone who leans on it daily for everything from translating into 'cool' languages to doing parts searchers for the 'magic bean' bits that make everything in the world work better.

Wut-evs, its like feathers off a ducks back to me.

I can assure you I'm not Matt's biggest fan but, it's hard not to admire the guy who, according to what I can find on google:
- Volunteers whenever he can
- Takes on a leadership role in the governing body when it is sorely needed
- Organises an event after the planned orgs. step down 6 weeks before the event, without notice.
- Brings new volunteers into the sport
- Helps new competitors learn by taking them under his wing
- Simply has fun in the sport
- Quick to share a laugh with anyone in the sport, even if he's at the centre of the humour.
- Hangs around AT events... including volunteering with his buddy Stan d'Oun as recovery for RMR last year after DNFing on the shakedown/Media stage.

Oh May latest favorite Calgarian...yeah OBVIOUSLY referring to you and your "educating " your self..
Seems the more you "educate" your self the more annoying you get..

The only flak you will get is for the conceit in thinking you know anything because you Googled and that you have a right to criticize and correct anybody..

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
ALS FTW
Don K. Oates
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
looking

June 04, 2015 03:48PM
john vanlandingham
The only flak you will get is for the conceit in thinking you know anything because you Googled and that you have a right to criticize and correct anybody..

Search engines are a good took for finding information... you are well aware of that since we see you posting online references on a regular basis.

I don't pretend to be authoritative, nor would I expect any one to take me as such. That doesn't mean it is wrong of me to try and inform my self using the internet and the search engine of my choice. I'm not foolish enough to take anything I read online as being 'gospel,' and certainly not without getting a handle on the veracity of the source.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 04, 2015 04:19PM
Good for finding info---to arm one's self with a little knowledge...maybe to ask questions with for clarification..

Not to present oneself as the assigned monitor or equivalent of grammar police only in everything since you feel compelled to parse and comment on everything.

You know what they say a little knowledge is, I'm sure.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
ALS FTW
Don K. Oates
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
looking

June 04, 2015 04:30PM
john vanlandingham
Good for finding info---to arm one's self with a little knowledge...maybe to ask questions with for clarification..
Cool. We agree on something.

john vanlandingham
Not to present oneself as the assigned monitor or equivalent of grammar police...
Just because your bullshit gets caught in the filter time to time doesn't mean I'm acting like an 'assigned monitor.' Maybe I need to learn to seek clarification in a less confrontational way.

john vanlandingham
You know what they say a little knowledge is, I'm sure.
It makes an ass out of you and me? (or is that a different joke)

john vanlandingham
only in everything since you feel compelled to parse and comment on everything.
No I don't. cool smiley (if you can't laugh at that one... take a break from the computer.)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login