Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

spring rates advice

Posted by liemle82 
liemle82
Professional Moderator

spring rates advice
August 18, 2015 07:11PM
I'm working on a odd build... I'm also a newb, so please excuse the stupidity. If i have suspension travel that is about 7 inches and car weight is 2200-2300 pounds. What spring rates should I run for a off road build? would 150lbs front / 100 lbs rear work? I assume something hard like 515lbs/in would be a bad idea?

There's probably other pieces of information you'll want, feel free to ask. Thank you for your advice ahead of time.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Senior Moderator

Re: spring rates advice
August 18, 2015 07:39PM
Spring inclination and motion ratio are some good bits of info that will be needed for a general answer.

What's the intended purpose? Is it simply controlling up and down motion? Does it also need to control roll stiffness as well? What's the CG height? Are you using all the travel? Are there aero loads that you're dealing with?

These are all things that can point you into a direction with spring rates.... and I also have no idea what to do with all that information... sooooo..... BACON!
Paul Buck
Paul Buck
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Volvo 242 in progress

August 18, 2015 09:11PM
Robert Culbertson

These are all things that can point you into a direction with spring rates.... and I also have no idea what to do with all that information... sooooo..... BACON!

Kevin?!
liemle82
Professional Moderator

August 18, 2015 11:13PM
my intention is for fun. i don't plan to go into any competition races.

but at the same time, i'd like the ability to take on common off roads. i took my truck to one of the toughest areas i nearby, and it looks like this

it may not be tough for some vehicles that are setup correctly, but will 7 inch suspension travel be able to make that? and what spring rates should i choose?

as for the questions earlier, i've answered to the best of my knowledge... but you'll see how much of a newb i am...
Is it simply controlling up and down motion? i think so? just coilovers on double wishbone suspension
Does it also need to control roll stiffness as well? no
What's the CG height? what's CG? center of gravity?
Are you using all the travel? i'll have helper springs, should i subtract the height of that?
Are there aero loads that you're dealing with? i don't know

out here in vegas, there are a good amount of off roads that i think are smoother than that video i uploaded. so if i can make a vehicle handle that, plus have some fun going side ways off roads, i think i'll have a nice grin on my face

Robert Culbertson
Spring inclination and motion ratio are some good bits of info that will be needed for a general answer.

What's the intended purpose? Is it simply controlling up and down motion? Does it also need to control roll stiffness as well? What's the CG height? Are you using all the travel? Are there aero loads that you're dealing with?

Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Senior Moderator

August 19, 2015 12:42AM
The original question was very vague. No one here even knows what you're driving. It's on bumpy ground, has double a-arms, and a coilover shock. I'm guessing it's a buggy of some sort, but it could also be a snowmobile that weights 2200lbs, or an airplane with crazy suspension.
Pics or detailed drawings of the suspension would be a huge help.
That being said, anyone here will just be guessing at what's needed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login