Rally Chat
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

BRS 2015 review: Brief version (wheel bearings were not kind)

Posted by Josh Wimpey 
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: BRS 2015 review: Brief version (wheel bearings were not kind)
September 23, 2015 06:58PM
wvonkessler
Josh Wimpey
Our TDI is from a 2001 Golf so it is unaffected anyway.

Plus, it is registered as antique so no yearly inspections

But post-76 cars are still required to meet their applicable emissions standards under U.S. Law for NEW CAR SALES.

Applicability, eh?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

September 23, 2015 09:47PM
I dunno about VA, but here in CA diesels weren't required to have smog inspections until 1998. So if it's inspected as a 1986 car, it'd be ok. Even if it's inspected as a 2001 car (which it would be because of the engine change) it'd just have to pass a visual test (all the anti-smog stuff is there), an OBDII systems check (all functioning, no codes thrown), and an evap test. No emissions test.

I'm just wondering *how* the horsepower was doubled. Increase the boost?

And what's the next step? Anti-wheelspin control of some sort?

Self-righteous douche canoe
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

September 23, 2015 09:53PM
A friend did a TDI swap into a 4runner and the legal hurdles of passing as a diesel were not insurmountable.
The ALH diesel is pretty open to more power. Nozzles and turbos being common. I'm selling my TDI I think.

Grant Hughes
Josh Wimpey
Josh Wimpey
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Sneak the Golf

September 24, 2015 10:24AM
hoche
I'm just wondering *how* the horsepower was doubled. Increase the boost?

And what's the next step? Anti-wheelspin control of some sort?

Well, the HP was pretty easy to nearly double...When you start from a low number...

A stock ALH in US-spec trim is about 87hp. The Euro version is exactly the same hardware but with a different tune and makes 110hp. A simple aftermarket tune will net 130hp. With bigger injectors, you can get more still. Our car was under the 87hp at Sandblast because I had never checked the timing on the injection pump and it was retarded by nearly 6-degrees so we never even made stock HP..

We swapped out the VNT15 turbo for the next bigger unit a VNT17 (which is still fist sized) and put the next larger injector nozzles on called Power-Plus 520s. Then took the car to RocketChip for a tune. Being a diesel, everything is driven by the fueling not the boost. The ECU uses the MAF to determine whether it needs more air to prevent smoke at a given fuel level rather than reading air flow to determine what fueling is appropriate. So, the boost is just along for the ride.

So, Jeff at RocketChip asked me what I was looking for. So, I asked what was possible with the hardware we had. He said the hardware all maxxed out could give close to 200hp and 350lb-ft of torque but anything more than say a single 1/4 mile run would result in HOT HOT HOT EGTs and melted bits..... So, I gave him a thought experiment: Imagine a 20 mile long hill with a 20% grade. Imagine that I want to drive up it at full throttle and never ever have to look at the gauges to see if things are getting too hot. Also imagine I want a torque ramp-up that is not so crazy that the car is useless on gravel. That is the tune I want. How much power do you expect such a tune to make? His reply was about 160hp and about 280lb-ft. Then he showed me how to adjust the injection quantity mechanically and said that if we ever do some tarmac events and don't mind a bit of smoke, we can get another 20-30lb-ft easily without worrying about temps. Boost seems to go up to about 20-21psi. Reading elsewhere, when people max this setup out, the boost runs to about 28psi....

____________________________________________________________-

One. Class -- 2WD

www.quantumrallysport.com

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Quantum-Rally-Sport/281129179600?ref=nf
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login