northcoast
Kevin Morrison
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
1998 Subaru Imp

Re: 2016 plans
October 30, 2015 09:30AM
NoCoast
#3 - start gofundme and facebook advertising campaign.

Great plan! smileys with beer I should do that... Wrecked my rally car. gofundme a new one.

Too bad 99% of the people I know live paycheck to paycheck like myself.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
tdrrally
edward mucklow
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
ford mustang LX 5.0, 1973 VW Beetle

October 30, 2015 09:56AM
i found some motivation!

i plan to get the fox mustang ready for hill climbs and rally cross and go from there

I would rather drive a slow car fast as a fast car slow!
first rule of cars: get what makes you happy, your the one paying for it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2015 09:57AM by tdrrally.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

October 30, 2015 01:03PM
LexusFman
I moved to Syracuse, NY. Does anybody know about the job market here? What I have for work experience is McDonalds, ARAMARK (Clarkson food service), construction labor (Helped a chiropractor work on two offices and did odd jobs for him and helped an ex army guy build an addition to his house + a teensy bit of roofing) and landscaping (Basically chilled with an old lady and made her backyard nice). I want to make at least $250-$300 a week but MORE would be nice.

Other than that VOLUNTEER!!! BRS was sweet

What do you want to do? Cold sales sucks.
I'd suggest finding local sheet metal workers union and trying to get apprenticeship or something similar.

Grant Hughes
Paddy1337
Tim Patrick
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Galant VR-4

October 30, 2015 02:40PM
LexusFman

I moved to Syracuse, NY. Does anybody know about the job market here? What I have for work experience is McDonalds, ARAMARK (Clarkson food service), construction labor (Helped a chiropractor work on two offices and did odd jobs for him and helped an ex army guy build an addition to his house + a teensy bit of roofing) and landscaping (Basically chilled with an old lady and made her backyard nice). I want to make at least $250-$300 a week but MORE would be nice.

Other than that VOLUNTEER!!! BRS was sweet

Problem is, your entire great state, is overwhelmingly controlled by the powers in a small part influenced by NYC. My recommendation would be leave your state, and go somewhere where hard work, and work ethic are valued over a piece of paper. By all means, GED is a must and a good step in the right direction.

Especially considering your GED situation, I recommend a trade. Any trade. Even with no legit apprenticeship leading to a certification, the skills you could learn in HVAC, plumbing, manufacturing, on a job site, whatever will quickly out pace the income of your peers in college. My friends who went into trades and found legitimate apprenticeships were making stupid money at age 22 when our college friends had degrees (if they graduated) that were worthless when the economy tanked.

If you get the GED thing sorted, and meet the requirements, the ARMY is also a good choice. The amount of expendable income you can have within a couple years is stupid as a young, single, responsible, hard-working soldier. If you pick your MOS properly, it can also be free certification. You sound like a hard worker, and if so that's rewarded in the service. A single guy in the military with 4+ years, has enough money to fund any hobby they choose.
Dante
Allan Dantes
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
87 Mazda LSRX-7

October 30, 2015 05:00PM
This is a great way to learn skills and make bank!

I may know a guy...who did just that.

Owner, Driver, Head Mechanic, and Janitor at Tower City Race Team, headquartered near L'Anse. Michigan.
Driver / CoDriver in Rally America, NASARallySport, ARA, AMS, UPMDA, Champ Off Road

https://www.facebook.com/TowerCityRaceTeam/
https://www.instagram.com/towercityraceteam/
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 30, 2015 07:20PM
Dante
This is a great way to learn skills and make bank!

I may know a guy...who did just that.

That's great, mang.
That place in L'Anse?

And I don't know about out dere in da Yooo Pea but out here in that business most of the guys are over 50...great opportunities for a guy starting out...and the pay ain't tooooooooooooooo toooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad-

And one thing fer shure is that is a skill you can take anywhere in the world...

Get tired of 1200 buck entries for little 14 car "Nationals"?
Move to Sweden, Finland, OZ and have some fun.
Wanna do tarmac?
Move to France...
Easy.
I did.
Because of skills in (then called ) NC, now known as CNC..

The whole world needs skilled, awake machinists.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

October 30, 2015 09:11PM
Shit man. Maybe Rally.Build shoukd move to UP and I'll come work with you!

Grant Hughes
Dante
Allan Dantes
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
87 Mazda LSRX-7

October 30, 2015 09:48PM
We do some really awesome stuff.

Medical, Aerospace, OEM's, Racing and Other pistons.

Investment Casting machining, Billet, Superalloys, all outsource processes like Nickel, Anodize, etc.

For a small shop in the UP, 85% of our customers are out of the area.

We don't succeed because we are cheapest, best, or fastest. But we are close on all 3.

Owner, Driver, Head Mechanic, and Janitor at Tower City Race Team, headquartered near L'Anse. Michigan.
Driver / CoDriver in Rally America, NASARallySport, ARA, AMS, UPMDA, Champ Off Road

https://www.facebook.com/TowerCityRaceTeam/
https://www.instagram.com/towercityraceteam/
Pete
Pete Remner
Ultra Moderator

October 31, 2015 10:34AM
john vanlandingham
The guy was up here in WA working on one of our hydro-dams that had a giant 54 foot crack in it so he came over one day to do some basic measurements and we looked up a bunch on the car--which I suspected was some version of Opel Corsa..
It is..
The motor looks very good---just needs compression and non-emissions cams--big uns.
The gearbox is something called G17....not the same fambly as GMs G16/20 which we all know and love as the one older 90s Kadetts and Astras used so nicely.. but in any case there are very good all clutch plate diffs available and I think we saw alternate final drives...
I think his was stock 6 speed..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Gamma_platform

I've been looking into the Sonic RS. The 1.4 turbo mill can get about 200hp with a little reprogramming of the computer and not much else - it's very torque-limited with the OE tune.

Same engine as in the LTZ but the RS comes with a much nicer final drive.

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

October 31, 2015 10:42AM
http://vtcar.com/rally/subaru-contingency-program/
$5k entry bonus and special pricing for 2015 WRX models. $5k for a win, $25k for a championship. That's pretty good support.

We should have first drive in Sonic with JVABs today if all goes well. The amount of cabin space in this little thing is incredible. I have a close relative that retired as GM of Chevy's largest commercial truck dealer last year so I have some connections. It'll be interesting to see what a little cage, suspension and exhaust can do yo wake it up.

Grant Hughes
Paddy1337
Tim Patrick
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Galant VR-4

October 31, 2015 02:40PM
NoCoast
$5k entry bonus and special pricing for 2015 WRX models. $5k for a win, $25k for a championship. That's pretty good support.

We should have first drive in Sonic with JVABs today if all goes well. The amount of cabin space in this little thing is incredible. I have a close relative that retired as GM of Chevy's largest commercial truck dealer last year so I have some connections. It'll be interesting to see what a little cage, suspension and exhaust can do yo wake it up.

pretty incredible contingency there.

have you ever driven a Fit? stock for stock, it was better than the sonic in every "performance" category i could think up. With brakes, and IF the suspension could be sorted out, i think it'd make a good platform. I haven't driven the brand new 3rd Gen, but they up'd it to a 6spd manual, with the same top speed as the 5spd, and gave it DOHC. Only thing i didn't like was high speed stability.
LexusFman
Yengi Lado
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
I Ain't rich!!!!

October 31, 2015 03:44PM
My friend is going to school for machining. He's been trying to talk me into it hardcore and I like the idea. So maybe I'll take him and you guys up on it. But I already moved here so for now the damage is done...just looking around here it seems like tons more opportunity so hopefully if I don't sit on my ass I can find a way to make somethin to at least move again. How hard is Finnish to learn?
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

November 01, 2015 12:30AM
LexusFman
How hard is Finnish to learn?

Impossible.. Its so hard they just vary a little their swearing--and then they drink a lot..
Most of what they ever say is all drunken swearing..
But they don't hardly ever speak..

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

November 01, 2015 12:03PM
NoCoast

good if your running a rather spendy newer Subaru at RA national events.

I think Mazda is better for the average regional fellow.

First Rally: 2010 First RallyX: 2004 (a bunch)
Driver (0), Co-Driver (7)
Organizer (3), Volunteer (3)
Cars Built (2.5), Engines Blown (2) Cages Built (0) # of rotations (3.5)
Last Updated, Apr 9, 2023
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

November 02, 2015 02:00PM
Any rallyists at SEMA this week, drop by Waystone Tire DBA Lakesea Tires and Zestino Tires. They'll be displaying their new gravel rally tire that they are making. Booth 42317, south lower. We had been in talks with them about importing tires and were very close to bringing in a set to evaluate but realized that the 512 tires that are required to fill a container are about 500 more than our little humble shop can store or afford. Maybe one of the other rally shops will start importing them and hopefully give us another budget option.

Grant Hughes
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login