Posted by Paddy1337 
Paddy1337
Tim Patrick
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Galant VR-4

HAM at Sandblast
February 01, 2016 11:45PM
Are radio operators needed at sandblast? My experience peaks at marshaling, but a nerd friend of mine just got his HAM license.

Wanting to point him to something fun to do with it. He doesn't race anything, but finds interest in fast cars, etc.

I went to rally university, the section on what it means to volunteer but didn't see anything on running radios. Trying to get him some info.

TIA
Please Login or Register to post a reply
dunhamr1
Ryan Dunham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
1989 Merkur XR4Ti

Re: HAM at Sandblast
February 02, 2016 07:04AM
HAM operators are always needed! Be sure to check in with Anders Green and go and register on the NASA Rally Sport site as volunteers for the event.
mothra
Matt Smith
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
xr4ti

February 02, 2016 09:12AM
We still need more volunteers in general (Tim I see that you are not signed up yet smiling smiley )

We definitely need some additional HAM radio operators for the event. We will be doing some rally specific HAM training at the rally.

We have nearly 100 competitors signed up currently, most of which are paid, this makes for a very busy and very exciting rally for the volunteers.

volunteer sign up. Either sign into your account or create an account.

http://www.nasarallysport.com/d734/account

feel free to email me any questions.
matt@nasarallysport.com

Matt Smith
Volunteer Coordinator Sandblast Rally

Matt Smith

Racing in glorious black and red

My daily life is a Saab story (sold!)
Andrew_Frick
Andrew Frick
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Rally Spec Ford Focus

February 03, 2016 08:58AM
dunhamr1
HAM operators are always needed! Be sure to check in with Anders Green and go and register on the NASA Rally Sport site as volunteers for the event.

Anders no longer runs Sandblast. If you look on the entry list he is actually going to compete this year. Matt is part of the group of volunteers that is helping make the rally happen this year.

As Matt posted we do need more HAMs and volunteers in general. Tim, ask to be a control worker this year and you will learn more about the working of the rally, and since HAMs are typically placed at the start and finish of stages we can likely post you guys at the same spot. Just make sure you both mention each other by name when you sign up.

See you in Cheraw! I am actually heading down this afternoon to get the medical squared away and start getting posters put up to get the locals to come out.
dunhamr1
Ryan Dunham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
1989 Merkur XR4Ti

February 03, 2016 09:06AM
Andrew_Frick
Anders no longer runs Sandblast. If you look on the entry list he is actually going to compete this year. Matt is part of the group of volunteers that is helping make the rally happen this year.

Good to know, I was eating my words once Matt responded. I'm hoping to be out there as well, as a Codriver, looking forward to coming out!
Paddy1337
Tim Patrick
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Galant VR-4

February 03, 2016 11:05AM
Yeah I've been hesitant to sign myself up, still may. But we'll be around the 30days count down to having a baby at that point. Not sure if in the woods with no cell service is the right place for me.

I'll let my buddy know. He moved away from bragg but I'm hoping I can still convince him to come up from FL.

Thanks for the info
Anders Green
Anders Green
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Parked

February 03, 2016 03:06PM
Pretty great cell coverage down there if you're on Verizon. winking smiley

Grassroots rally. It's what I think about.
Paddy1337
Tim Patrick
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Galant VR-4

February 03, 2016 05:05PM
Not where you had me, lol. If I wanted text updates (had no data), I had to stand on top if my car that was parked on top of a hill. No service at all down where I actually was.

Good times nonetheless, but Verizon was mostly useless for me until I got it if my marshal location late that night.
mothra
Matt Smith
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
xr4ti

February 04, 2016 05:42PM
Paddy1337
Not where you had me, lol. If I wanted text updates (had no data), I had to stand on top if my car that was parked on top of a hill. No service at all down where I actually was.

Good times nonetheless, but Verizon was mostly useless for me until I got it if my marshal location late that night.

Most (all but one) of the controls have Verizon cell coverage. Best option is to sign up ask to work controls (mention you need cell coverage and that you may need to cancel at the last minute). If you have to cancel we will find a substitute for you.

Matt Smith

mothra
Matt Smith
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
xr4ti

February 04, 2016 05:43PM
dunhamr1

Totally missed this the first time through. Yeah Anders is no longer part of Sandblast but is still NASA Rallysport east.

Matt Smith

Mad Matt F
Matt Follett
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Don't Laugh, the Justy is Fun!

February 04, 2016 05:55PM
Paddy1337
Yeah I've been hesitant to sign myself up, still may. But we'll be around the 30days count down to having a baby at that point. Not sure if in the woods with no cell service is the right place for me.

Not to be the naysayer... but from experience... I'd wanna be within earshot...

our munchkin arrived 60 days early! No warning.

Just sayin.
Andrew_Frick
Andrew Frick
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Rally Spec Ford Focus

February 05, 2016 08:42AM
Paddy1337

I'll let my buddy know. He moved away from bragg but I'm hoping I can still convince him to come up from FL.

Thanks for the info

First, congratulations on the new baby. Make sure you get all the sleep you can now. Cause ain't no one got time for that after the baby shows up.

Second, while we would love to have you as a volunteer make the decision that you and your family are most comfortable with. If you do decide on coming down we can make sure you have a spot with cell coverage. Just add a reminder note when you sign up.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login