Posted by john vanlandingham 
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

Re: BIG NEWS! Rally America annouces Big Sponsorship deal in Group 2
February 16, 2016 03:15PM
The reason we dont have a full field is simple economics. Running the entire national series costs not thousands but tens of thousands.

As long as maxxis is not required for a regional entry then im fine with it. Nationals are largely a playground.

First Rally: 2010 First RallyX: 2004 (a bunch)
Driver (0), Co-Driver (7)
Organizer (3), Volunteer (3)
Cars Built (2.5), Engines Blown (2) Cages Built (0) # of rotations (3.5)
Last Updated, Apr 9, 2023
Please Login or Register to post a reply
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

February 16, 2016 03:16PM
I agree with Jeff on certain counts.
People leave rally often because they know that it's a money game. You have to spend your way to winning and that spending gets ludicrous fast. You have zero prospects of sponsorship for the most part. There is no top level where the best drivers go to become professional. Just a top level where people spend more money to pretend to be professional.

I've never seen any structured research on why people leave rallying. However after ten years I have seen quite a few people come and go. I can say that almost every one of them that leaves goes into a different competitive sport eventually. Mountain bike racing, road bike racing, cross country skiing/biathlon, marathon/ultras, road racing, midgets, go karts, and sailboats. Most of them leave initially due to marriage/girls, babies, change in work/career/school, or having crashed their rally car. Few just stop rallying because it's too expensive. Typically, they have done a few events, realize it's fun but that they have to spend more money on if they want to be competitive and so they are distracted by the other things in life while the car sits and their plans for that better engine, rebuild, or whatever other next item is in their list can be bought. In the meantime, they find something else they also find fun that they can compete at without worrying about how they will afford it.
Matt Smith just listed his XR4ti for sale. He hasn't rallied it in years because he took some time off, started volunteering, started doing some moto race stuff, car sat for years, now he's selling it. It's a common story.

Grant Hughes
Paddy1337
Tim Patrick
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Galant VR-4

February 16, 2016 05:08PM
NoCoast

It is one less rule that people have to search for a way to exploit.

Now it'll be tire grooving
mothra
Matt Smith
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
xr4ti

February 17, 2016 03:52PM
NoCoast
Matt Smith just listed his XR4ti for sale. He hasn't rallied it in years because he took some time off, started volunteering, started doing some moto race stuff, car sat for years, now he's selling it. It's a common story.

Glad I could be a statistic. Add getting married and mountain bikes to that list.

Matt Smith

Racing in glorious black and red

My daily life is a Saab story (sold!)
Doivi Clarkinen
Banned
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1980 Opel Ascona B

February 18, 2016 06:43AM
Reamer
You rally guys just dont get it because your new to the spec tire game. You guys dont look at big picture competition you just think about your selves. Dave points out why the spec tire is better when he tries to point out how its worse! He had a tire deal others did not. He now has to pay the same as every other competitor and that leveled the playing field. He says it killed road racing yet i watched a Continental tire event last week on TV. A series i had never herd of before the spec tire deal he bitches about. Yes team owners are going to bitch thats what we do.

Wow, you're so far off base you don't even know. How am I pointing out how a spec tire is better? You don't know much about road racing, apparently. It most certainly did not level the playing field. When we had the Yokohama deal we did not have the best tires, Michelin was the tire to beat in that class. So we should be happier now, right? No, it's not that simple. The Yokos weren't as good as the Michelins at their peak but they didn't fall off like the Michelins. The Yokos would do the same lap times at the end of a stint as they did 4 laps in, while the Michelins had slowed down at the end of a stint. Which meant we could match lap times with the big boys in the last half of the stint but in qualifying and the first half of the stint we were a couple seconds off. Different tires have different strengths and weaknesses just like different cars do. And no we weren't the only team with a tire deal. Everyone had some sort of deal. Falken had their own race team. Now with the spec tire nobody has a tire deal. Everyone has to pay full price for shit tires. How is that better for competition? It's not. What you don't get about rallying and sports car racing is that the competitors and fans are interested in the cars and the tech more than they are the drivers. In circle track racing where you come from the opposite is true. The car doesn't matter. It's just some tubes with an engine and wheels and some sheet metal billboards pop riveted on the sides. They have no relation to anything and they all look the same. It's all about the cult of personality in NASCAR and promoting the drivers like WWE wrestlers. So who cares if the cars are all on the same tires? "This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love fig newtons."

And FYI, the Continental series (it's been named different things through the years depending on series sponsorship) has always had a spec tire (because NASCAR) with Continental coming on board back in 2009.
Doivi Clarkinen
Banned
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1980 Opel Ascona B

February 18, 2016 06:48AM
Reamer
Dont miss read my post either. I said a FORM of less rules. That is not the perfect wording. If your a team and are looking into a series you look at the rules 1 by 1 you decide if it fits what your looking for. When you come to the tire rules your brain explodes with all these potential options. i want whats best for me to be competative. You then spend spend spend on testing this that and the other. ort you listen to buddies or you look at what whos who has for tires and pic from there. Brakim shows pics of all his tire piles. Its sad he has that many different brands of tires trying to find what works best for his program. With a spec tire that is out the window. You got what every one else has now you can move on to better things then palying the super expensive tire game!

Great, you have to pay full price for the same shit tires as everyone else but at least you don't have to think!
Doivi Clarkinen
Banned
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1980 Opel Ascona B

February 18, 2016 06:58AM
Reamer
Ok you are correct i retract my statement that is not less of a rule! It is in fact 1 rule designed to make Teams more equal with out a bunch of stupid rules to try to inadvertently make cars equal. Like SP rules. This rule with a few other rules to promote an equal playing field car wise will help car counts in my opinion.

You're misguided if you think the Maxxis spec tire deal has anything to do with promoting an equal playing field. I can assure you the thought never crossed Fogg's mind. It's all about making some cash and helping Ritchie Tam sell some tires because apparently he thinks the only way people will buy them is if they are forced to. Which isn't even true! But you're fantasizing if you think leveling the competition ever entered the conversation when this deal was struck. I'm sure it will be a welcome and helpful program for some people and they will be happy to win a couple bucks or a tire here or there. plus they won't have to think about what tire to use, that can be so taxing.
rallytaff
Pete Morris
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Sold.

February 18, 2016 11:01AM
You got me I shouldn't of said all racing. I should of said all successful racing has a spec tire rule.

Excuse me, but your command of the English language leaves a lot to be desired. In both those sentences, you used the word 'of' when it should be 'have'. Get it right next time!
Reamer
Jeff Reamer
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru

February 19, 2016 02:16PM
Just a dumb Nascar read neck who cant spell giving my thoughts on how i see things. No biggy we dont have to agree on things. I will just continue to run the events i enjoy. Keep making my race program better and have a good time with family and friends. Im not competitive at this point any way so guess I should of kept the mouth shut.

First rally 2013
Rally car type AWD subaru
Total rallies as driver 6
Total rally cars built 2
Total rally cars caged 3
Total rally cars repaired from offs 4
Total years racing exp other then rally 19 yrs
Like 31motorsports on FB!
Check out 31motor sales on ebay for used Subaru parts
DG_Rally
Dave Grenwis
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
'92 VW Golf

February 19, 2016 02:53PM
Jeff, you are one of 2(?) people on this thread that is actively racing his car in this series and is in some way affected by this change. It's a discussion forum and you're speaking your mind, nothing wrong with that.

Since when does anyone give a shit about spelling on here?

Dave Grenwis - DG Rally - www.dgrally.com
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

February 19, 2016 03:05PM
This seems applicable.
http://yostautosport.com/?page_id=153

Grant Hughes
rallytaff
Pete Morris
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Sold.

February 19, 2016 06:03PM
Why would you be proud of being ignorant? No self esteem?
RALLYRS
Mike Ball
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Nope...I wish...RWD 2 Door Jeep XJ 4.0 5-spd Dirt-o-cross car(we have no grass!)2.3 ZX3 rallyx car(sold)

February 20, 2016 01:17AM
Cosworth
john vanlandingham
Have they somewhere announced the Big Pay Back?
John just make sure you're sitting down
http://www.maxxis.com/news/automotive/maxxis-and-rally-america-announce-partnership

This comment just made my cringe:
Bill Fogg
...said Bill Fogg Sr., owner of Rally America, Inc. “Maxxis International is recognized around the world as a leader in the manufacturing and distribution of competition tires for professionals and enthusiasts...
Shirley they know they're preaching to the choir when they publish these press releases... only us rally guys care for rally, and we all know this is utter bullshit, so dont these idiot have shame in their faces for throwing shit like that at us??? Talk about embellishing something eh!

Has anyone here actually tried these Victra r19's?

Are they any good?

................................................. .....................

Support your Local North American Rally Forum!!

While they are still around-and get the hell off Farsebook!!

We still have Specialstage & RallyAnarchy.

Post up Here:

https://rallyanarchy.com/phorum/posting.php

and here:

https://www.specialstage.com/forums/forum.php
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

February 20, 2016 01:24PM
RALLYRS
Cosworth
john vanlandingham
Have they somewhere announced the Big Pay Back?
John just make sure you're sitting down
http://www.maxxis.com/news/automotive/maxxis-and-rally-america-announce-partnership

This comment just made my cringe:
Bill Fogg
...said Bill Fogg Sr., owner of Rally America, Inc. “Maxxis International is recognized around the world as a leader in the manufacturing and distribution of competition tires for professionals and enthusiasts...
Shirley they know they're preaching to the choir when they publish these press releases... only us rally guys care for rally, and we all know this is utter bullshit, so dont these idiot have shame in their faces for throwing shit like that at us??? Talk about embellishing something eh!

Has anyone here actually tried these Victra r19's?

Are they any good?
Probably perfectly acceptable---Cheng Shin makes a huge variety of tires from wheelchairs to giant mining truck tires and everything in between...and they jave made everything from appallingly bad--in my direct experience---to "pretty damn good", --just fine for local level club guys (naturally I am speaking of their moto-cross tires)..
Not the best by any means.
But formerly--a long time ago---they had a PRICE ADVANTAGE of more than 40-50%

And it was my choice to use them or not.

Shows how foggy their understanding of how racing --in an OPEN class is and how contemptuous they trat everybody when they publish utter bullshit like "Maxxis International is recognized around the world as a leader in the manufacturing and distribution of competition tires for professionals and enthusiasts..." a "leader"? Puleeeeze.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Reamer
Jeff Reamer
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru

February 20, 2016 08:58PM
Not saying im ignorant. Just accepting the the stereo type that a Nascar fan is dumb and doesnt know any thing. Yeah my spelling sucks. When i was a kid in English class i was day dreaming about racing. its all ive done for over 25 years. Ive been down this road before. Im not going to get into a pissing match because some one disagrees. My opionion is that a spec tire is good for rally. others dont think so. Im going to kindly disagree just from my past 25 years of racing in a very competitive sport that is fast high horse power with simple rules and a spec tire. I personally feel the sport of rally could use a class with the diehard racer in mind. Were not rich but we love racing and do what it takes to get out and do it as often as i can afford.

I have no clue what RA intentions are of the tire deal. i just know that spec tires help with competition. To say a team has better lap times late in a race in the oval track world is because of lack of HP not tires. so usually big team go out blistering fast hooking up 1000 hp then the low HP guy starts beating them late due to tire wear. But i dont know shit about racing.

First rally 2013
Rally car type AWD subaru
Total rallies as driver 6
Total rally cars built 2
Total rally cars caged 3
Total rally cars repaired from offs 4
Total years racing exp other then rally 19 yrs
Like 31motorsports on FB!
Check out 31motor sales on ebay for used Subaru parts
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login