john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: BIG NEWS! Rally America annouces Big Sponsorship deal in Group 2
February 21, 2016 12:22AM
Reamer
Not saying im ignorant. Just accepting the the stereo type that a Nascar fan is dumb and doesnt know any thing. Yeah my spelling sucks. When i was a kid in English class i was day dreaming about racing. its all ive done for over 25 years. Ive been down this road before. Im not going to get into a pissing match because some one disagrees. My opionion is that a spec tire is good for rally. others dont think so. Im going to kindly disagree just from my past 25 years of racing in a very competitive sport that is fast high horse power with simple rules and a spec tire. I personally feel the sport of rally could use a class with the diehard racer in mind. Were not rich but we love racing and do what it takes to get out and do it as often as i can afford.

I have no clue what RA intentions are of the tire deal. i just know that spec tires help with competition. To say a team has better lap times late in a race in the oval track world is because of lack of HP not tires. so usually big team go out blistering fast hooking up 1000 hp then the low HP guy starts beating them late due to tire wear. But i dont know shit about racing.

One note: anybody who complains about a misspelled word or a missed typo in a motorsport context is an idiot. We know the person who complained is a nothing. You may not but we who have ben around know he's just a never was anything. Just an obnoxious schmuck in print and in real life..Ignore him...
Circle track---which I say is the only car motorsport woth a damn in America is a different beast that rally..Ford or Chebby or Mopar big deal, everybody is right at the cid limit or within a fraction of a %, the cars weigh within a %, wheel sizes are whatever, they're all pushrod V8s with carbs, same or effecively same gearboxes, same or effectively same rear axle--and all RWD,,,and on and on...in that context I can see a spec tire...

Just looking at 2wd Open classes we have a bewildering variety of engine sizes from 1.0 turbo (the much ballyhooed Fiesta that guest stard Reeves drove) FWD, 1,6 n.a. Fiestas, 1,6 RWD Corollas, 18 FWD "club" spec Golves with only short final drive, 2,0 fwd cars with stock boxes and final, 2,0 and 2,3 8v n.a and turbo cars in rwd with pretty good boxes and final drive, 2300 FWD cars with turbo and stock boxes and 3.0 and 2,3 24v BMWs with stock boxes and all cars from 1969 to 2014 making good seconds apart SS times..THAT is ultimately what sets 2wd on gravel apart..
In THAT context FORCING people to buy ANY one brand is flat stupid..
Incentives, dammit...
Simple "Maxxis Continency (fer fucks sake man what is "contingent" mean?*)
IF: $500 to first national 2wd using Maxxis tires" or "$500 for Class win IF using Maxxis"
No argument..

BUT
If I wanna use my beloved 14-62 x 15 Michelins and I am first 2wd car in the national, I guess I don't get their bucks..my choice, my loss

Don't force me to choose between not entering ANY class I qualify for and buying some maybe OK tire at some premium retail price.

NO other 2wd open gravel class anywhere I know of forces any tire choice.

Maybe they want to drive everybody 2wd except some new shiny cars out of the so called "National" Championship..

Seems to be the unspoken goal of some peripheral parasitic people for a long time.

*contingent (adj.) Look up contingent at Dictionary.com
late 14c., from Old French contingent or directly from Latin contingentem (nominative contingens) "happening, touching," present participle of contingere "to touch" (see contact). The noun is from 1540s, "thing happening by chance;" as "a group forming part of a larger group" from 1727.
contingency (n.) Look up contingency at Dictionary.com
1560s, "quality of being contingent," from contingent + -cy. Meaning "a chance occurrence" is from 1610s.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Not Trolling
Keith Morison
Super Moderator

February 21, 2016 12:42AM
john vanlandingham
Quebec Championship now requires Pirelli on all cars. No 'buy-out' clause. They also require spec fuel, and removed the buy-out clause that WAS $500/event for some cars, if you didn't want to score points.
I don't get it.

First Rally attended (2000), First Rally competed in (2001)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Driver (8), Co-Driver (47), Drivers (19)
Clerk (29), Steward (1), Official (17), Volunteer (5)
WRC Spectator (1), WRC Photographer (6), WRC Observer (4)
Rallies attended (120) Countries attended rallies in (11)
Last Updated, May30, 2022
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

February 21, 2016 08:08AM
Not Trolling
john vanlandingham
Quebec Championship now requires Pirelli on all cars. No 'buy-out' clause. They also require spec fuel, and removed the buy-out clause that WAS $500/event for some cars, if you didn't want to score points.
I don't get it.

I have already mentioned that..I presume cocaine and whores and possible cash bribes or kickback must have been involved for them to reach that conclusion..
I have only spoken with 2 guys out there and they were saying far far worse and wondering why there were not calls for pitch-forks and torches..
The preice per liter was something like 90 cents per liter higher than Super at the pump last week..so nearly $3.50 MORE per US gallon (for our dear readers)

Perhaps it was an outbreak of ergot poisoning?

From wiki

Ergot (pron. /ɜːrɡət/ UR-gut) or ergot fungi refers to a group of fungi of the genus Claviceps.[1]

The most prominent member of this group is Claviceps purpurea ("rye ergot fungus"winking smiley. This fungus grows on rye and related plants, and produces alkaloids that can cause ergotism in humans and other mammals who consume grains contaminated with its fruiting structure (called ergot sclerotium).[2][3]

Claviceps includes about 50 known species, mostly in the tropical regions. Economically significant species include C. purpurea (parasitic on grasses and cereals), C. fusiformis (on pearl millet, buffel grass), C. paspali (on dallis grass), C. africana[4] (on sorghum), and "C. Lutea (on paspalum).[5] C. purpurea most commonly affects outcrossing species such as rye (its most common host), as well as triticale, wheat and barley. It affects oats only rarely.

Continues:

The ergot sclerotium contains high concentrations (up to 2% of dry mass) of the alkaloid ergotamine, a complex molecule consisting of a tripeptide-derived cyclol-lactam ring connected via amide linkage to a lysergic acid (ergoline) moiety, and other alkaloids of the ergoline group that are biosynthesized by the fungus.[8] Ergot alkaloids have a wide range of biological activities including effects on circulation and neurotransmission.[9]

Ergot alkaloids are classified as:

derivatives of 6,8-dimethylergoline and
lysergic acid derivatives.[10]

Ergotism is the name for sometimes severe pathological syndromes affecting humans or other animals that have ingested plant material containing ergot alkaloid, such as ergot-contaminated grains. The Hospital Brothers of St. Anthony, an order of monks established in 1095, specialized in treating ergotism victims[11] with balms containing tranquilizing and circulation-stimulating plant extracts. The common name for ergotism is "St. Anthony's Fire",[11] in reference to this order of monks and the severe burning sensations in the limbs which was one of the symptoms.[12] These are caused by effects of ergot alkaloids on the vascular system due to vasoconstriction, sometimes leading to gangrene and loss of limbs due to severely restricted blood circulation.

The neurotropic activities of the ergot alkaloids may also cause hallucinations and attendant irrational behaviour, convulsions, and even death.[8][9] Other symptoms include strong uterine contractions, nausea, seizures, and unconsciousness. Since the Middle Ages, controlled doses of ergot were used to induce abortions and to stop maternal bleeding after childbirth.[13] Ergot extract has been used in pharmaceutical preparations, including ergot alkaloids in products such as Cafergot (containing caffeine and ergotamine[13] or ergoline) to treat migraine headaches, and ergometrine, used to induce uterine contractions and to control bleeding after childbirth.[14]

In addition to ergot alkaloids, Claviceps paspali also produces tremorgens (paspalitrem) causing "paspalum staggers" in cattle.[15] The fungi of the genera Penicillium and Aspergillus also produce ergot alkaloids, notably some isolates of the human pathogen Aspergillus fumigatus,[16] and have been isolated from plants in the family Convolvulaceae, of which morning glory is best known.

My guess, good as any for explaining such things..Solution involves ballast and rope and supreme unction...after the crowd is done with the cudgels and knouts...

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Reamer
Jeff Reamer
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru

February 21, 2016 06:28PM
Just finished watching the Daytona 500! 1 hundredth of a second from first to second! To bad i was rooting for second! Figured I would catch up with some reading.

To me the perfect rally series would have a whole new take on the rule set that made up classes. A spec tire is just one part of what i feel it would take to make up a good strong series with good car counts and good competition. There may not be any rally series in the past with a spec tire.

If I was able to right the rules for a series it would have a spec tire. And im pretty sure i would have a very strong car count. Oval track racing on the small seen has the cost to smiles figured out and I feel rally can do the same.

To me a spec tire and a contingency is kind of a double edged sward. I love the idea of a spec tire. I dont love that people mix up the value of a spec tire with the value of contingency money.

I probably wouldnt have had a spec tire and a pay out in the same press release. I probably would of released the spec tire rules and had a pay out structure released regardless of the spec tire. I would of pushed the tire as a way to promote better competition and pushed the pay out as a way to get a little back for your efforts. A series could take a few sponsors dollars and make the purse potentially bigger and the series get the credit and not the tire contingency. Let the results of the rally sell the tires.

First rally 2013
Rally car type AWD subaru
Total rallies as driver 6
Total rally cars built 2
Total rally cars caged 3
Total rally cars repaired from offs 4
Total years racing exp other then rally 19 yrs
Like 31motorsports on FB!
Check out 31motor sales on ebay for used Subaru parts
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

February 21, 2016 07:23PM
We are going to offer a contingency program for rallycross.

Grant Hughes
RALLYRS
Mike Ball
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Nope...I wish...RWD 2 Door Jeep XJ 4.0 5-spd Dirt-o-cross car(we have no grass!)2.3 ZX3 rallyx car(sold)

February 21, 2016 09:09PM
NoCoast

For just one specific tire ?

................................................. .....................

Support your Local North American Rally Forum!!

While they are still around-and get the hell off Farsebook!!

We still have Specialstage & RallyAnarchy.

Post up Here:

https://rallyanarchy.com/phorum/posting.php

and here:

https://www.specialstage.com/forums/forum.php
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

February 22, 2016 12:26AM
RALLYRS
NoCoast

For just one specific tire ?

Yup. Will be available to our customers running IndySport tires for national challenges and championship. Yet another first place today on our tires in Iowa, 2nd place in Texas Saturday.

Grant Hughes
Anders Green
Anders Green
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Parked

February 22, 2016 09:40AM
How about a spec tire just for one corner of the car. Like, you have to run Brand X on front left only. That leaves you free to sell three more spec tire contracts! winking smiley

Anders

Grassroots rally. It's what I think about.
RALLYRS
Mike Ball
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Nope...I wish...RWD 2 Door Jeep XJ 4.0 5-spd Dirt-o-cross car(we have no grass!)2.3 ZX3 rallyx car(sold)

February 22, 2016 10:13AM
Anders Green
How about a spec tire just for one corner of the car. Like, you have to run Brand X on front left only. That leaves you free to sell three more spec tire contracts! winking smiley

Anders

Great idea!

This works for suspension contingencies too!

................................................. .....................

Support your Local North American Rally Forum!!

While they are still around-and get the hell off Farsebook!!

We still have Specialstage & RallyAnarchy.

Post up Here:

https://rallyanarchy.com/phorum/posting.php

and here:

https://www.specialstage.com/forums/forum.php
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

February 22, 2016 10:21AM
Anders Green

Anders

Brings up an excellent point..Why not force people to buy everything?

.That way the Foggs could avoid any work for the children forever.

Series Official Brake Fluid at $10/pint? Mandatory use
Series Official Gearbox oil at $40/ qt? Mandatory use
Series Official Anti-freeze at $50/gallon Mandatory use
Series official washer fluid at $16 quart Mandatory use

Why not extend that to other areas ripe for commodification?

Series Official wrenches? Mandatory use Jacks? Mandatory use Drop cloths? Mandatory use
Series Official Service barge Kenworth? Mandatory use.
Series Official suspension brand? Proflex at only $14000? Sure Mandatory use

Why not Series Official phone? Mandatory use
Loo paper/bum wipe? Series Official Bog Roll: Charmin* at $6/roll Mandatory use Remember in front back to front! In back front to back...ladies cannot be savages!

Anders! That's it! We've finaly stumbled on to it!
Naming Rights! media production rights, and now Official Mandatory use merchandising!!!

You're a Genius!

*facial quality bum wipe of course. Still working on a deal for bum quality face wipes.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Reamer
Jeff Reamer
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru

February 22, 2016 12:19PM
Anders Green

Anders

You own a series and say things like this. Spec tires should be looked at about competition not about promoting a specific brand.

I look at tires differently then other contingency programs. Tires are a must have item. They also influence the competition more then any other part of a car. Not having a tire deal hurts all motorsport competition.

A clutch, safety or performance product contingency program is not the same as a spec tire program and shouldnt be looked at or treated the same.

To me a series would have a spec tire rule then go to the tire companies and work a deal on the tires. Get the companies to work better pricing or more funding or what ever to make a good deal for the racer and the series. RA worked a deal with Maxxis who sounds like approached them. Pirreli is a larger company and may have been able to work a better deal but who knows. Having it a free for all on tires is not good for a series in my opinion.

I would have a spec tire regardless if there was a kick back or not. I would hope i would be smart enough to make a decent tire deal but i would still have a spec tire for the series just for the competitive aspects of it.

Ive said this enough times now so its beating a dead horse!

There needs to be some new drama added to the rally mix!

First rally 2013
Total rally cars built 2
Total rally cars caged 3
reecers
Reece
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Ej20g'd Legacy

February 22, 2016 06:12PM
Reamer
Anders Green

Anders

You own a series and say things like this. Spec tires should be looked at about competition not about promoting a specific brand.

I look at tires differently then other contingency programs. Tires are a must have item. They also influence the competition more then any other part of a car. Not having a tire deal hurts all motorsport competition.

A clutch, safety or performance product contingency program is not the same as a spec tire program and shouldnt be looked at or treated the same.

To me a series would have a spec tire rule then go to the tire companies and work a deal on the tires. Get the companies to work better pricing or more funding or what ever to make a good deal for the racer and the series. RA worked a deal with Maxxis who sounds like approached them. Pirreli is a larger company and may have been able to work a better deal but who knows. Having it a free for all on tires is not good for a series in my opinion.

I would have a spec tire regardless if there was a kick back or not. I would hope i would be smart enough to make a decent tire deal but i would still have a spec tire for the series just for the competitive aspects of it.

Ive said this enough times now so its beating a dead horse!

There needs to be some new drama added to the rally mix!

anders will save rally on a dirt bike before he will require people to run a spec tire smiling smiley

oh wait smiling smiley

I am not an alien

Koolaid on specialstage just an FYI
Doivi Clarkinen
Banned
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
1980 Opel Ascona B

February 23, 2016 12:56AM
What if I want to buy whatever good used tires I can scrounge up for $50 or whatever a whack? Being forced to buy $220 mediocre tires in order to compete in a class is a huge blow to the budget and may prevent some people from participating. This isn't some theoretical situation, LOTS of people do this, even on the national level. A spec tire will not increase car counts in rally. It may work in roundy pound racing but not in rally.
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

February 23, 2016 01:29AM
I don't think the SCCA/RA National championship has been geared towards guys who are just running whatever they can get their hands on. I don't think has been since, oh...1998 or so. The fact that you *could* run the championship on a shoestring was, I think, just a fluke.

Lots of other series have spec tires. General Tire was a requirement for some offroad series (I don't know if it still is) but for the ones I'm thinking of, the primary consideration was more along the lines of "are they going to explode when going through whoops at 90mph?" rather than "do they handle well?". When I was competing in Spec Miata, the required tire was a Toyo RA-1 (then RA-888, which sucked).

If I were still interested in running the National Series, I'd probably be OK with the current Maxxis requirement, providing they were decent tires and could deal with the variety of surfaces/temps I encountered. My current preference is Yokos and I'd be sort of bummed not to be able to use them but I don't think I'd raise a huge fuss unless the Maxxis's really sucked.

As for Brandenberg, he's a nice guy an everything and he gets extra kudos for lending someone a bike to compete on after the other's guy's bike was stolen the night before Sandblast last year. On the other hand, I've seen his Beemer and the rig he's shown up in and I can't imagine a tire change warrants that much fuss considering the budget he must have.

Self-righteous douche canoe
Reamer
Jeff Reamer
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru

February 23, 2016 12:09PM
The used tire market would be huge with a spec tire. I wouldnt make it mandatory to buy new tries each rally just a spec tire. It works in every other motorsport it would work in rally just the same.

First rally 2013
Total rally cars built 2
Total rally cars caged 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login