Posted by john vanlandingham 
Not Trolling
Keith Morison
Super Moderator

Re: BIG NEWS! Rally America annouces Big Sponsorship deal in Group 2
March 01, 2016 11:23AM
john vanlandingham
Not trolling huh.?
Sorry John, I forgot how sensitive you were to a little bit of light hearted jabbing. An easy mistake considering your ruthlessness with others.

First Rally attended (2000), First Rally competed in (2001)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Driver (8), Co-Driver (47), Drivers (19)
Clerk (29), Steward (1), Official (17), Volunteer (5)
WRC Spectator (1), WRC Photographer (6), WRC Observer (4)
Rallies attended (120) Countries attended rallies in (11)
Last Updated, May30, 2022
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

March 01, 2016 11:41AM
Not Trolling
john vanlandingham
Not trolling huh.?
Sorry John, I forgot how sensitive you were to a little bit of light hearted jabbing. An easy mistake considering your ruthlessness with others.

Keep trolling Morison. Only ruthless to idiots. and you know that from ample experience.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
mekilljoydammit
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
No rally car yet

March 01, 2016 01:11PM
Coming at this from an SCCA roadrace perspective, where people shovel nutty amounts of cash at building things to the edge of the rules for little plastic trophies... in something truly competitive with spec tires but open everything else, you'd see things eventually converge to whatever combo takes advantage of the tires best, leading to everyone else's stuff being "devalued" because it's not "optimum" and them having to spend money building up the new hot package, even if the results are going to be more weighted by the nut behind the wheel than any tiny difference. (which is why in Spec Miata, where there's a spec tire, spec suspension package, spec this and spec that but 15 years of cars are legal, there's only one that a "serious competitor" would think of running)

The same would happen for dirt, or whatever other venue where the competition is really close and people are building to the limit of the rules, and so it gets really important to institute cost containment stuff like spec this and that.

All of that seems like it describes approximately fuckall of rally on this continent. I mean seriously, I'm pretty much an outsider here, but can anyone seriously tell me that spending is out of control in 2wd? It's not like anyone's dusting off 90s vintage F2 Kit cars and stuff (for example) right?
Reamer
Jeff Reamer
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru

March 01, 2016 01:37PM
Grant nailed it exactly!80% was just a close guess but the point is what Grant pointed out. Build a set of rules that keep the core of rally in the game in all classes.

FB shows Mike Engle with a new Samsonite 6 speed sequential. I worned RA and others that OL would do this exact thing. Instead of proactive they just let it go. Now 17 entries in a class designed for newbs will be the most we ever see again unless changes are made.

First rally 2013
Rally car type AWD subaru
Total rallies as driver 6
Total rally cars built 2
Total rally cars caged 3
Total rally cars repaired from offs 4
Total years racing exp other then rally 19 yrs
Like 31motorsports on FB!
Check out 31motor sales on ebay for used Subaru parts
Reamer
Jeff Reamer
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru

March 01, 2016 01:44PM
You guys dont see far enough into the future i guess? Them starting with 2wd National is possibly the ginny pig for more classes in the future to come. I have no clue on RA intentions but that would be my way to introduce a change in an all ready running series. Its not like its a new series with all new take on rally.

First rally 2013
Total rally cars built 2
Total rally cars caged 3
mekilljoydammit
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
No rally car yet

March 01, 2016 01:56PM
Starting with a spec tire as a path towards cost cutting and closer fields seems pretty silly if you're still allowing unlimited budget trans, engines, shocks, etc. I mean seriously, is the tire budget to run at front really, in actual real life not in a hypothetical "whoops I pissed off the one supplier in the world for the one best tire enough to not sell to me" sense, that unmanageable compared to everything else? From where I'm sitting, it really looks like the biggest consumable cost to win a national championship would be transportation of everything.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

March 01, 2016 02:22PM
Reamer

FB shows Mike Engle with a new Samsonite 6 speed sequential. I worned RA and others that OL would do this exact thing.

midpack in class guy wants to win...Its his money. This is merikuh! Show me in the Constitution where it says a guy playing at a meaningless---but amusing--pass time is prohibited from wasting huge amounts of money to buy a victory so he can scream--like all God-fearing Red Blooded Patriots "NUMBAH ONE!!!!! Wooot woooot!"

Next thing you know you'll be saying don't vote for Donald Drumpf!

Instead of proactive they just let it go. Now 17 entries in a class designed for newbs will be the most we ever see again unless changes are made.

Wait a class "designed for newbs" ?? What memo was that in, mang?
My memory--foggy as it is---was it was a class set up to quiet complainers who were sobbing and gnashing teeth cause they bought the 2.5 things for Pee Gee Tea, and so they would have a class they go win fabulous prizes...and then since EVEYBODY ALL cheated in Ree Gee Tea, the class was liquidated and all the guys who had the cars moaned so much they invented a class just for them, kinda a Short Bus class "so they could win"...

Just cause RA dogmatically bans any turbo for newbs doesn't mean this class was "designed" for them..That's way too much though you're giving them credit for..

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2016 11:22PM by john vanlandingham.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

March 01, 2016 05:19PM
Pretty sure Engle is usually closer to front of his class.
As long as Maxxis can hold up to my LS6/MPG combo I'll be cool.

Grant Hughes
Reamer
Jeff Reamer
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru

March 01, 2016 06:01PM
RA has not said any thing about making a spec tire for better competition. This is my feeling on a spec tire that most disagree with on here at least. I have no clue what RA thoughts are.
They seem to do things off the cuff and make it work over the course of a season.There pres releases seem odd timed and leave you with questions that dont get answered until your at the next event.
Seems like once your at the event they have all the answers. Im glad there trying to do things to help the racer. There order on this situation seems to be depicted by the fact Maxxis was trying to move tires? Over all they made a decent deal i think? Some will complain they dont like the tire. Others were all ready on it. Some will not like the new tire because there forced to buy it. Others will be glad they made the switch because they find they like the tires. Time will tell as the season goes on.
I bet in 2 years teams will be bummed that they dont get a pay out any more if Maxxis leaves and no one else steps up.

Trump for pres!!lol

First rally 2013
Total rally cars built 2
Total rally cars caged 3
turoc
Ozgur Simsek
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
working on a Veedub

March 01, 2016 09:47PM
NoCoast
Which two? We've got some fancy on both cars but not quite that fancy.

Arek B. has a Samsonas setup in his GD. I sat with him last year and refer to the car as it being the "nicest OL car in the country" which it really is. When you see it, you will agree.
He is quickish but is well aware he has a whole lot more to go! (Way beyond all the fancy!)

rally gods would turn in their graves if they ever knew Lada's were now part of EU rallying!!!
reecers
Reece
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Ej20g'd Legacy

March 02, 2016 10:33AM
so who wants to sell me their old R14's when they step up like a big boy and get those R15's and head for a national championship!

I am not an alien

Koolaid on specialstage just an FYI
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

March 02, 2016 12:16PM
turoc
NoCoast
Which two? We've got some fancy on both cars but not quite that fancy.

Arek B. has a Samsonas setup in his GD. I sat with him last year and refer to the car as it being the "nicest OL car in the country" which it really is. When you see it, you will agree.
He is quickish but is well aware he has a whole lot more to go! (Way beyond all the fancy!)

I thought I saw something on his having a sequential. Is he in a GD just gaining coefficients to go to open class or a dedicated Open Light car?
At around 8k euros for the Samsonas kit, if they prove to be reliable and not super heavy maintenance I could see them being popular. Spending almost $10k on a gearbox may sound mad to some, but there are plenty of rally cars out there with $6k Cosworth STI blocks.

Grant Hughes
modernbeat
Jason McDaniel
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1963 SAAB Historic, 1995 Impreza Open Light totaled at WRC Mexico, 2005 STi Pikes Peak winner

March 03, 2016 08:09AM
NoCoast
...At around 8k euros for the Samsonas kit, if they prove to be reliable and not super heavy maintenance I could see them being popular. Spending almost $10k on a gearbox may sound mad to some...

Where are you actually able to buy the Samsonas kit for that price?

When we bought ours the only US distributor was VAC, who tack on a extra layer of profit in addition to what Samsonas allowed for. When I went to other non-US distributors they all sent me back to Samsonas or VAC when they found out I was in the US. Martynas, the owner of Samsonas, quoted me a price of $13k for the basic kit at PRI (no electronics), but then renegged when I tried to purchase it.

Jason McDaniel
Reamer
Jeff Reamer
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru

March 03, 2016 10:23AM
Rumor is Engle worked a deal for a total of 3 trans to get it under 10k each. Not sure where the other 2 went. He does have multiple cars in the works. Not sure on diffs or electonics. I do know thats complete in a oem 6 speed case. Not just the internals.

First rally 2013
Total rally cars built 2
Total rally cars caged 3
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

March 03, 2016 11:37AM
I just looked at pricing online from Europe.
It'll be interesting to see if they are reliable.
The universal rwd sequential looks cool.

Grant Hughes
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login