Rally Chat
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

Conratulations to our very own RallyAnarchista Eric Ewert finishing his first rally after a great 1st build

Posted by john vanlandingham 
Not Trolling
Keith Morison
Godlike Moderator

NoCoast
Eric Ewert
Ahhhh gotchya! I suppose the wonders of youth are helping me out there. grinning smiley

It's not so much exhaustion as it is life being boring. Real world is so boring. Nothing worse than a government job conference call Monday morning after a rally.

To each their own... but one form of hangover seems to be universal.
Mine is almost always exhaustion and feeling beat up and drained - even as an organizer.

First Rally attended (2000), First Rally competed in (2001)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Driver (8), Co-Driver (47), Drivers (19)
Clerk (29), Steward (1), Official (17), Volunteer (5)
WRC Spectator (1), WRC Photographer (6), WRC Observer (4)
Rallies attended (120) Countries attended rallies in (11)
Last Updated, May30, 2022
Please Login or Register to post a reply
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

Way more so as an organizer.

Twice the stress, none of the fun.

Self-righteous douche canoe
Vincent Gagnon
The same thing that I just wrote
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Volvo 240

I hope to see you on the stages in Québec in a few years.
Or I will have to drive to the ROC so we can have a good fight with the proper cars.
Hope to show up in your rear view mirrors soonspinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Cheers!

Ask for work.
If they don't give you work, ask for bread.
If they do not give you work or bread, then take bread.

- Emma Goldman
wvonkessler
Wilson von Kessler
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Colts are in Finland; now '87 325i, '89 325i

hoche
Way more so as an organizer.

Twice the stress, none of the fun.

God's own truth.

Oh, and sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you at SB, it is always nice to meet rally folks from the other coast. Maybe next time.

"Talk about drugs. Driving a car like that, going that fast, it’s like all the drugs at once." - Tommy Byrne

"Now, Pinky, if by any chance you are captured during this mission, remember you are Gunther Heindriksen from Appenzell. You moved to Grindelwald to drive the cog train to Murren. Can you repeat that?" - The Brain

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2016 09:43PM by wvonkessler.
Eric Ewert
Eric Ewert
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 240

Vincent, coming down to quebec would be a blast! Will certainly be a few years though as that sort of journey is not in the budget at the moment. Need to finish school first before thinking about expanding how far I am travelling for a rally. John tells me your getting along nicely with the 740 so hopefully we will see you out here soon-ish! smileys with beer
Vincent Gagnon
The same thing that I just wrote
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Volvo 240

Same here.
Need to finish school.
I have a two years plan for the 740, It's not going too bad for the moment.

Congrats on your first rally. Once again proving that people can have fun and be competitive for a reasonable amout of money if you have half a brain.... and a good car to start with.

Hope the see more 240 action soon.

Ask for work.
If they don't give you work, ask for bread.
If they do not give you work or bread, then take bread.

- Emma Goldman

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2016 02:35PM by Vincent Gagnon.
Not Trolling
Keith Morison
Godlike Moderator

Vincent Gagnon
Congrats on your first rally. Once again proving that people can have fun and be competitive for a reasonable amout of money if you have half a brain.... and a good car to start with.

First off, Eric knows I think he did a great job finishing his first event, even though he slept during service breaks and spent a fair bit of time huffing gas fumes in the car. He built his own car, did a good job of that, and battled a fuel pump issue in the days leading up to the event. Awesome to see. Great job. Nothing takes away from that.

But... while he competed in the event, even 'successfully competed in the event' (which is a term used in the CARS rule book, and a 'notch' ticked off on his way to a National License), I'm sure even he'd be hard pressed to say he was 'competitive.'

Definitely better than DLBF, almost 5 minutes up on Jeremy at the end of the day, but solidly over 3 minutes off the 2wd podium and 2 minutes behind a production 2wd Hon-duh also driven by a novice driver and first time co-driver...

There is work to be done before he's competitive... but I'm sure he'll get there and not end up as one of Ander's statistics. (well, everyone is a statistic... but you know what I mean)

hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

wvonkessler
Oh, and sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you at SB, it is always nice to meet rally folks from the other coast. Maybe next time.

But we did! I wandered up and talked to you briefly as you were crumpling the pages in the notes during parc expose.

Self-righteous douche canoe
Eric Ewert
Eric Ewert
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 240

Keith I am fully aware I have a long way to go. Simply put: I am slow. The car is definitely not the limiting factor either (in other words with the right person it could be competitive). In fact if it had more power I am pretty sure I would have gone off in the exact same spot Tanveer did. So for now the wooping 110-120hp stays. I have my goals set and will be trying my best to achieve them!

I refuse to end up as one of Anders statistics! Granted I only have to make it through the first season to help the average but that's not the point!!! angry smiley
ElectroTech
Steve Wheeler
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1992 Golf

Not Trolling
Vincent Gagnon

First off, Eric knows I think he did a great job finishing his first event, even though he slept during service breaks and spent a fair bit of time huffing gas fumes in the car. He built his own car, did a good job of that, and battled a fuel pump issue in the days leading up to the event. Awesome to see. Great job. Nothing takes away from that.

But... while he competed in the event, even 'successfully competed in the event' (which is a term used in the CARS rule book, and a 'notch' ticked off on his way to a National License), I'm sure even he'd be hard pressed to say he was 'competitive.'

Definitely better than DLBF, almost 5 minutes up on Jeremy at the end of the day, but solidly over 3 minutes off the 2wd podium and 2 minutes behind a production 2wd Hon-duh also driven by a novice driver and first time co-driver...

There is work to be done before he's competitive... but I'm sure he'll get there and not end up as one of Ander's statistics. (well, everyone is a statistic... but you know what I mean)
....I'm pretty sure he knows where he sits, not quite sure what value this post brings to a congratulatory thread?

Power means nothing if you cannot control it!
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

ElectroTech
Not Trolling
Vincent Gagnon

....I'm pretty sure he knows where he sits, not quite sure what value this post brings to a congratulatory thread?

Read this name "Not trolling"...and his alter-ego clever boy account "Donkey"whatever--its clear its the same person..A shame he confuses Vince's "the car" can be competitive and feels compelled to be a Debbie Downer...But it's Donkey Keith..

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Not Trolling
Keith Morison
Godlike Moderator

Typical 'Anarchy' thread degradation. Sorry about that Eric... I didn't expect it would go this route.

For what it's worth... I congratulated Eric at Tech inspection for getting the car done and getting it to the event. I spoke with him at the service in controls to see how things were going. (and to tell him to get a roof vent in the car ASAP) And congratulated him at the final time control.

I also looked at his times and mentioned here that he showed good improvement in pace over the event...

But, I grew up before the time of handing out only 'participation medals,' so I see calling someone 'competitive' when they aren't as only taking away the next 'goal.'

If that's all being a 'debbie dower' then I'm kinda fucked. "Good Job! now do better next time" is really the only way I look at things.

john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Not Trolling
Typical 'Anarchy' thread degradation. Sorry about that Eric... I didn't expect it would go this route.

For what it's worth... I congratulated Eric at Tech inspection for getting the car done and getting it to the event. I spoke with him at the service in controls to see how things were going. (and to tell him to get a roof vent in the car ASAP) And congratulated him at the final time control.

I also looked at his times and mentioned here that he showed good improvement in pace over the event...

But, I grew up before the time of handing out only 'participation medals,' so I see calling someone 'competitive' when they aren't as only taking away the next 'goal.'

If that's all being a 'debbie dower' then I'm kinda fucked. "Good Job! now do better next time" is really the only way I look at things.

Donkey Morison you just fail to realise that not everybody needs you blow by blow analysis of what you think needs explaining..
Stop being both of you.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Towona
Tony P
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
MK2 Golf

It was great to see Both Eric and Jeremy finish their first rally. Kudos gentlemen.

On the whole "being competitive" topic, I personally don't even consider Runamuck to be a seriously competitive team in Open 2wd and we happened to win the 2wd class this time around (my second time doing so). It's just that the really competitive teams either had issues or were not present. So for me, I think luck was certainly on my side this time.

Runamuck Rally
Snidewhips
Jeremy Livingston
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1990 acura integra, 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

my goal is to finish all 5 rallies and gradually increase pace to see what breaks and how i can improve it. instead of breaking 20 things and being fn overwhelmed with repairs and costs to make it to the next rally. everything i've done in life i've gone gung ho and ended hurt or in trouble so ill dip my toe into the shark tank and progress as i recognize my ecosystem.
thanks for the props uncle tony!

All bridges burnt, island life is beauty
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login