NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

Re: Help keep me Rallycrossing
May 06, 2016 11:04AM
tdrrally
i would take my chances in a trophy truck seat long before i would in an fia seat

we ran stock seats with a bar that limited lay back for years with little or no issue why an fia seat now?

And I know of only two guys who broke there backs rallying in a stock seat. Both seats failed, one spent time in a chopper and never rallied again, the other recovered and still is rallying and racing.

We live in a litigious society. Standards provide some level of protection. I won't sell a non-FIA seat, I won't cage a street car, and I won't stray from the rules and regulations as written, even if I think it's a better design for that reason.

Those seats do look comfy.

Grant Hughes
Please Login or Register to post a reply
tdrrally
edward mucklow
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
ford mustang LX 5.0, 1973 VW Beetle

May 07, 2016 09:17AM
I'm not going to argue that a race seat is better.
regardless of the seats design they all need to be mounted at the base and the shoulders. i was rearend on the street in an IT car with a full cage and stock seats, the seat did break and go full recline right into the harness bar, my bell was rung and my neck was jacked. i have also seen high end race seats crack and fail under race use do to flex.

i do plan to check the RA rules again and confirm their seat requirements.

I would rather drive a slow car fast as a fast car slow!
first rule of cars: get what makes you happy, your the one paying for it!
Pete
Pete Remner
Mod Moderator

May 14, 2016 09:34AM
What the everloving fuck does FIA and roll cages and other shit have to do with rallycross?

Sit the bottom of the seat forward, lat the seatback back a bit, so it is more like you're driving a hammock than sitting upright. Spine takes minimal loads that way.

My back sucks, aggravated by having shit knees so anytime I lift anything I have to bend at the back because "bend at the knees" is a recipe for not walking right for the rest of the day. I can't drive a pickup for more than a short trip without screaming back pain, can drive my "hammock" RX-7 for 16 hours and feel great.

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
tdrrally
edward mucklow
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
ford mustang LX 5.0, 1973 VW Beetle

May 15, 2016 07:04AM
Pete good point we did go off the reservation a bit. I'm in the same sort of boat with the tender back i have been spending some time in the gym and the pool working some of that issue out and it starting to payoff.
Deep water aerobics and some weight training have done wonders. That said i still prefer a suspension seat to shell seat. I put a set of these in my street car to great effect good support easy on the back, while not a race seat they are reclinable so you can tune for best comfort and they come with an OK set of harness.

Link: http://amzn.com/B00YQSCMO4

i may get a set for my cherokee next

I would rather drive a slow car fast as a fast car slow!
first rule of cars: get what makes you happy, your the one paying for it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2016 07:06AM by tdrrally.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login