Advanced

Garage space in CNY?

Posted by LexusFman 
Pete
Pete Remner
Mega Moderator

Re: Garage space in CNY?
September 13, 2016 01:53AM
I have been buying the hell out of LED strip lights... something like $20-30 per light, make a lot of light, last forever, and really low electricity usage. "Free" electricity still is getting paid for by somebody, no need to be greedy. Plus they are cool in the summer and wok just fine when cold in the winter.

Also Craftsman 3 ton high-lift jack stands. Ace Hardware has 'em for $32 a set. Way cheaper than Harbor Freight for equally useful jackstands...

I'm still fitting out the garage I'm renting. Next big purchase will be one of these: http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welder-110vac-135a-output.html

A little underpowered for welding BIIIG stuff. Welding the bearing ends on my axletubes was a three pass affair on the highest current setting. But it is a very, very nice unit, you're not going to find any better for the price if you're locked into 110v like I am. Probably not going to find a better 220v for the price either.

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2016 01:58AM by Pete.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
LexusFman
Yengi Lado
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
I Ain't rich!!!!

September 14, 2016 09:58AM
My old roommate can put a 240v plug or whatever in. He does apartment maintenance for a living and he's getting pretty good at electricals. We gotta do some work to the place a but to get it where I want it.

Plus me and my new roomate also want to go half on a welder for the place too. He's welded a bit at school.

I have some hand tools now. 160pc duralast set, x2 3 ton HF jackstands, Big hammer, etc. When I get home I'll make a list of what I have.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

September 14, 2016 10:43AM
LexusFman
My old roommate can put a 240v plug or whatever in. He does apartment maintenance for a living and he's getting pretty good at electricals. We gotta do some work to the place a but to get it where I want it.

Plus me and my new roomate also want to go half on a welder for the place too. He's welded a bit at school.

I have some hand tools now. 160pc duralast set, x2 3 ton HF jackstands, Big hammer, etc. When I get home I'll make a list of what I have.

Well hell, all you need now is a nice rust free shell and a Haynes manual and a pencil...

Let's find you a suitable shell for cheap.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
LexusFman
Yengi Lado
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
I Ain't rich!!!!

September 14, 2016 04:12PM
LOL I got the Haynes manual like a year or two ago

Jumping on the garage pretty much cleaned me out though and I don't really have a truck or know anyone with a truck to tow.

I'be been on Craigslist for a while and looking for volvos when you don't have the money gets old after awhile.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2016 04:52PM by LexusFman.
LexusFman
Yengi Lado
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
I Ain't rich!!!!

September 30, 2016 04:07PM
Dude I am so broke its not even funny. sad smiley

Its so hard to save money man. Having mommy and daddy for the last 18 years of my life made me into a really expensive person. Good thing is, I got all of the bills out of the way until the 15th, when I have to pay about $100 in utilities, then we should be cookin pretty good.

I just realized tho, there is no way in hell I can get time off to race pretty much anything except dirt tracks next year, so I don't really know what my long term plan for all of this is.

I have a chevy cavalier chillin in my dads garage that would make a pretty nice 4cyl. I watched some videos of the races online and there's one dude in a Civic EF with a built motor that's killin it. Does anyone have any experience with FWD dirt tracks, cavaliers, or both?

The season pretty much just ended, so what I was thinking was maybe

1. Get Volvo and get it running so I have a daily that I can respect
2. Get some more tools and stuff and build a cage for the cav as practice for the Volvo
3. Get a cheap little truck for towing
4. Drive the truck and build a real cage in the Volvo
5. Decimate dirt track with rally powers
6. Find a way to ditch Mavis Discount Tire
7. Profit??????
Eric Ewert
Eric Ewert
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 240

October 01, 2016 10:15AM
Im normally not one to offer advice but perhaps I'll give it a go. First off "really expensive person" and trying to save money to build, and race a rally car are not two things that line up. Well atleast not at your/my age. Certainly not when parents are not the ones flipping the bill for your hobbies.

So, what makes you an expensive person? The two big things I see in this age category that leave people with no spare money are 1) Drinking/ going to clubs on a regular basis and 2) eating out a lot, not cooking for yourself, always buying instead of bringing a lunch, etc.

I've gotta go get some school work out of the way at the moment but ill come back later to offer my thoughts on your plan.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 01, 2016 02:49PM
Eric Ewert
Im normally not one to offer advice but perhaps I'll give it a go. First off "really expensive person" and trying to save money to build, and race a rally car are not two things that line up. Well atleast not at your/my age. Certainly not when parents are not the ones flipping the bill for your hobbies.

So, what makes you an expensive person? The two big things I see in this age category that leave people with no spare money are 1) Drinking/ going to clubs on a regular basis and 2) eating out a lot, not cooking for yourself, always buying instead of bringing a lunch, etc.

I've gotta go get some school work out of the way at the moment but ill come back later to offer my thoughts on your plan.

Good so far and good from a peer---sorta kinda..if I said the same it would be me lecturing and he has parents to do that.

let me just say this "You cannot serve two masters" some wise guy said that 2000 years ago.
In this context I mean it "one or the other at your age and income level"---but really any age

You get a bomber class circle jerk thing, and you will not build a rally car..
Only so much money and energy..

Sorta comes under my old maxim (for us poor folks) "Do one thing well".

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Pete
Pete Remner
Mega Moderator

October 01, 2016 07:55PM
Yah, I was told that when I mentioned that I wanted to campaign my RX-7, and build North America's highest power 10v Audi (hey, it's an extremely low bar, it's only around 360whp, even though the guy insists on adding altitude correction TO A TURBO CAR and claims it is waaaay higher), and build a bitchin' all wheel drive Rabbit...

The reaility is? It's true.

And that is why I am sitting in a motel in Iowa running 5th in class in entirely the wrong car to compete with, and it is not a Mazda or a Quantum or a GTI, because all of those are still incomplete, and I just GOTTA compete, so this weekend puts me another thousand bucks further behind on all of those goals...

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2016 07:57PM by Pete.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login