Where is the Idaho In-car?

Posted by Gravity Fed 
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Godlike Moderator

Re: Where is the Idaho In-car?
June 15, 2016 04:54PM
Gravity Fed
the wheel wasn't aligned due to a literal last minute fix.

Good job on noticing that by the way!
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 15, 2016 08:22PM
Mad Matt F
Keith,

I know about the visual landmarks...

My point was sort of tongue in cheek, as I got similar comments from my posts of vids of '14 Pines. It was on the that "to do" list that never gets done in the preceding days after you had the rack apart, and didn't get the splines sorted...

And I'll honestly bet, most of the yellow tape is for show winking smiley

Cheers. winking smiley

Yep...Some guy did it and thousands copy.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
ALS FTW
Don K. Oates
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
looking

June 15, 2016 09:22PM
john vanlandingham
Mad Matt F
And I'll honestly bet, most of the yellow tape is for show winking smiley Cheers. winking smiley

Agreed, pointless fappery by nothing but poseurs.

And another... even looks like she added it herself with tape. (Musta been a practical joke)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2016 09:34PM by ALS FTW.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 15, 2016 11:38PM
ALS FTW
john vanlandingham
Mad Matt F
And I'll honestly bet, most of the yellow tape is for show winking smiley Cheers. winking smiley

Agreed, pointless fappery by nothing but poseurs.

And another... even looks like she added it herself with tape. (Musta been a practical joke)

Oh silly me...I forgot! We are all driving on crazy narrow and twisty roads at speed faster than those lame old cars in another century..That's why we need the tape and need the same size tires...not on roads 3 times as wide in low powed cars mostly with gearing barely shorter and barely opening the throttle.

I'm getting old so you better forgive the fuck outta me...

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
dunhamr1
Ryan Dunham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
1989 Merkur XR4Ti

June 16, 2016 01:18PM
Gotta do a quick edit and then upload. Missed a bunch because: A. Not running and B. Dead batteries. They'll be up eventually.
slidewayswrx
Patrick Darrow
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Swedish John Deere

June 16, 2016 03:14PM
Dave and I weren't running any as we don't want all our secrets to be displayed to the world. Great event, great weather, great times!

Zap zap my ass...
Aaron Luptak
Aaron Luptak
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Civic...

June 17, 2016 08:42AM
Back to in-car, Benson posted their Meadow Creek:

LOL at the control worker saying somebody was fast because they rallycross all the time. eye rolling smiley

Stage looks fun, nice change from the wide fast stuff. I'm guessing it won't hold up quite as well as the other roads for 50+ cars hitting it 4 times (which seems to be pushing it in a lot of places for the other roads too), but I wonder if it might be able to be incorporated into the schedule like this:
* Harris East
* Short Service
* Alder North
* "Grimes Short" South (2010 version, w/o the tight twisty bits sad smiley but spits you out right at Meadow Creek )
* Meadow Creek (w/ workers from Harris)
* Service
* Alder North 2
* Grimes Long South (ending right outside Placerville)
* Short Service
* Harris West

KF7RWG
http://www.utahrallygroup.com
LexusFman
Yengi Lado
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
I Ain't rich!!!!

June 17, 2016 12:03PM
About the steering techniques, I dunno. I haven't done much of anything in a car, so it isn't worth anything much, but I'm a big fan of strong steering with both hands strongly.

I never really felt comfortable steering until I came up with a little training drill. I just go in a empty lot and steer the car full lock one way and full lock the next going quick enough to screech the tires just a bit.

I never felt comfortable with hand over hand until I started practicing one handed steer using the same drill above. I always used to push pull on the street cuz that's how I first learned how to drive.

Problem is when I'm attacking it feels like my steering is strong enough that I can use it as a crutch to not crash. I've heard a lot of pros say that the more you move the wheel the slower you go, and it's pretty easy to whip that shit like nobody's buisiness if you use two hands.
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

June 17, 2016 12:49PM
Aaron Luptak
Stage looks fun, nice change from the wide fast stuff. I'm guessing it won't hold up quite as well as the other roads for 50+ cars hitting it 4 times (which seems to be pushing it in a lot of places for the other roads too), but I wonder if it might be able to be incorporated into the schedule like this:
* Harris East
* Short Service
* Alder North
* "Grimes Short" South (2010 version, w/o the tight twisty bits sad smiley but spits you out right at Meadow Creek )
* Meadow Creek (w/ workers from Harris)
* Service
* Alder North 2
* Grimes Long South (ending right outside Placerville)
* Short Service
* Harris West

Maybe. They have some external scheduling constraints that have an affect on which roads they can close and when. Also, I'd rather just make the right turn onto Old Centerville Rd and keep on going than stop, transit, queue up and wait, and then get going again.

FWIW, I was calling it "Powerline North". It's really similar to Gorman's Powerline stage.

Self-righteous douche canoe
Not Trolling
Keith Morison
Mega Moderator

June 17, 2016 01:08PM
LexusFman
I never really felt comfortable steering until I came up with a little training drill. I just go in a empty lot and steer the car full lock one way and full lock the next going quick enough to screech the tires just a bit.
I've heard a lot of pros say that the more you move the wheel the slower you go, and it's pretty easy to whip that shit like nobody's buisiness if you use two hands.

From what I've experienced, seen, and from discussions with multiple championship winning drivers (one with experience in FWD, RWD, and recently AWD), if you're turning your steering wheel more than 90 degrees (most of the time since there are no absolutes) then you are doing it wrong. The only time you should really be going more that 180 deg. (and needing to go hand over hand) would be if you messed up.

First Rally attended (2000), First Rally competed in (2001)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Driver (8), Co-Driver (47), Drivers (19)
Clerk (29), Steward (1), Official (17), Volunteer (5)
WRC Spectator (1), WRC Photographer (6), WRC Observer (4)
Rallies attended (120) Countries attended rallies in (11)
Last Updated, May30, 2022
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Godlike Moderator

June 17, 2016 01:45PM
Not Trolling
LexusFman
I've heard a lot of pros say that the more you move the wheel the slower you go, and it's pretty easy to whip that shit like nobody's buisiness if you use two hands.

From what I've experienced, seen, and from discussions with multiple championship winning drivers (one with experience in FWD, RWD, and recently AWD), if you're turning your steering wheel more than 90 degrees (most of the time since there are no absolutes) then you are doing it wrong. The only time you should really be going more that 180 deg. (and needing to go hand over hand) would be if you messed up.

There's also the whole speed of the steering rack deal-e-o. 180deg on a volvo 240 won't even change lanes on the freeway smiling smiley
Aaron Luptak
Aaron Luptak
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Civic...

June 17, 2016 01:59PM
hoche
Also, I'd rather just make the right turn onto Old Centerville Rd and keep on going than stop, transit, queue up and wait, and then get going again.

Can't really argue with that, and actually now that I look at the map, the Old Centerville Rd. junction (roughly where I remember them starting the stage headed north in 2010, maybe where one might put a finish, there's houses not much further south) is still ~4 miles from the Meadow Creek start - so cutting off 4 (really good) miles of stage to cut ~1 mile of transit sounds pretty silly.

KF7RWG
http://www.utahrallygroup.com
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

June 17, 2016 02:45PM
Not Trolling

As Robert says, it depends on the rack, but yes, many people use the wheel way more than they should. 90 degrees is probably a bit conservative though - it's more 180 in each direction for most cars. And in a RWD car, you're often going from maybe 90 to the right to initiate all the way over to 90 to the left to catch the powerslide, and from an arm-leverage standpoint that's a helluva lot more controllable if you have both hands on the wheel.

Also keep in mind that sometimes you hit stuff while you're cornering and if you do it just right the caster can make the steering wheel kick. With an power rack you may not feel it that much, but with a manual rack...hoooooboy.

I used to do it a lot, but I hardly ever drive one-handed anymore.

Self-righteous douche canoe
Not Trolling
Keith Morison
Mega Moderator

June 17, 2016 02:49PM
Robert Culbertson
Not Trolling
There's also the whole speed of the steering rack deal-e-o. 180deg on a volvo 240 won't even change lanes on the freeway smiling smiley
Hence the 'no absolutes' in my comments.
But, the point is much more that the car is being steered more dynamically and less by the steering wheel. If you look at the top drivers, their steering wheel tends to be centred - as in wheels pointing straight forward - in the middle of turns, particularly if they are driving the clean (fast) lines. The steering wheel is more of a 'hint' to the car rather than the 'command.'

As for 240s, my GT would be all the way around at 180deg... but I 'think' they had a quick(er) rack in them from the factory. (happy to stand corrected on that)

Not Trolling
Keith Morison
Mega Moderator

June 17, 2016 02:53PM
hoche
As Robert says, it depends on the rack...
And the stage... obviously.

hoche
I used to do it a lot, but I hardly ever drive one-handed anymore.
Obviously there will be times when one-handed makes sense, but as a rule you'll have much more control and feel with both hands on the wheel.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login