Advanced

2017 Spec WRC Cars

Posted by dreamsofjvl 
dreamsofjvl
Sancho Panza
Mod Moderator

2017 Spec WRC Cars
July 15, 2016 12:09PM
What is everyone's thoughts on this? I know this info has been available for a while, but I couldn't find any discussion on RA about it.

http://www.fia.com/news/new-regulations-coming-2017-world-rally-car

I think it's going to make the WRC even more boring than it already is. Ridiculously high limits for the performance of the cars, especially when it comes to road holding/grip will basically turn the WRC into F1 on gravel (it already is, but I digress). Less sliding, cars will be even less sideways.

I like the concept, but they should limit suspension travel. Would make the rally much more interesting, the cars would move around a lot more.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
tdrrally
edward mucklow
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
ford mustang LX 5.0, 1973 VW Beetle

Re: 2017 Spec WRC Cars
July 15, 2016 01:00PM
Walter Röhrl predicted this would happen, rally cars on rails.

i lost interest in the WRC years ago right after the Groupe A era, at the start of the WRC specs.

I would rather drive a slow car fast as a fast car slow!
first rule of cars: get what makes you happy, your the one paying for it!
Pete
Pete Remner
Senior Moderator

July 15, 2016 01:01PM
YES. Limit suspension travel to 200mm and then things would be interesting to see.

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

July 15, 2016 01:37PM
Pete
YES. Limit suspension travel to 200mm and then things would be interesting to see.

Damn Shortest I've ever supplied was 190mm travel...200, 210 and 223mm is what I supply lasy 2-3 years..

say 225.
Tarmac rally cars are now at 230mm...whatchoo stink a dat?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
dreamsofjvl
Sancho Panza
Mod Moderator

July 15, 2016 02:13PM
tdrrally
Walter Röhrl predicted this would happen, rally cars on rails.

i lost interest in the WRC years ago right after the Groupe A era, at the start of the WRC specs.

It just goes to show how out of touch the FIA is with what fans of rally want.

"I want to see a car enter a corner, drive through it with no drama, and then point and shoot to the next corner" said no one ever thumbs down
Sean Edwards
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Celica

August 03, 2016 12:01PM
Have you guys actually watched any WRC rounds lately? It's insane, the spectacle is definitely there, the cars are still plenty sideways, going faster than any other form of WR car ever, getting more air etc.

I'm personally not excited about the 2017 cars new body work, with the cars going wider. I think the biggest fault of the WRC and the past 16 years of WR cars have been lack of relate-ability. The current WR car already looks nuts, you see it sitting still and expect it to go 200mph & fly thru the air. This wasn't the case during the Gr.A period and early World Rally cars. The visual spectacle of seeing a big four door sapphire like the one your mom drives sliding around on a forest road is more impact-full than seeing a WRC fiesta do what it looks like its supposed to do.
dreamsofjvl
Sancho Panza
Mod Moderator

August 03, 2016 12:13PM
If I was interested in outright speed, I'd watch drag racing or F1.

All of your arguments, in my opinion, take away from the rawness of rally. Yes, the cars are jumping farther. Yes, the speeds are higher. And yet its all so relatively effortless (on the car's part, obviously the drivers are busting ass at all times).

I will admit, I started watching again, and the COMPETITION is much more exciting than at almost any point in the past 5 years. But the cars are boring as hell.

Oh, and the 2017 WRC Toyota sounds like ASS :barf:
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

August 03, 2016 12:57PM
dreamsofjvl
It just goes to show how out of touch the FIA is with what fans of rally want.

Right. I'm sure they should consult you because you're more in touch. It's not like their fan base hasn't been growing steadily over the few years or anything.

http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/november/tv-figures/page/1922--12-12-.html

Self-righteous douche canoe
dreamsofjvl
Sancho Panza
Mod Moderator

August 03, 2016 01:52PM
hoche

Right. I'm sure they should consult you because you're more in touch. It's not like their fan base hasn't been growing steadily over the few years or anything.
[/url]

So? Are you saying that the fanbase is growing due to the cars?

I sincerely doubt that, correlation != causation. The fanbase is growing because of the increased accessibility to media, which I applaud. But saying its because of the cars... well, you can think what you want. Doesn't make it right winking smiley

If the goal is ultimate viewership, then they should just make another F1. Boom, done, WRC is famous... except it isn't rally then :p

And if they REALLY wanted people to be interested in the cars, they'd throw caution to the wind and allow wide open rules, just like they did with groupB. If you made modern groupB cars, considering the success of GRC and WRX, people wouldn't care if rally was for the "terminally gormless" as a famous broadcaster once said. Clearly manufacturers see something to be desired in the sport of rally for advertising purposes, and they already spend oodles of money. They just spend oodles of money working around the current rules, rather than developing crazy ideas.
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

August 03, 2016 02:10PM
No, I'm saying that your claim of them being "out of touch with fans...really want" is hard to justify when their fanbase is growing. Most likely it's not what *you* want and you're projecting.

I mean, it's not really what *I* want, but then I also thought that Apple's vertical all-in-one closed ecosystem was too restricting and would never sell. And that no one would ever vote for Trump.

dreamsofjvl
Sancho Panza
Mod Moderator

August 03, 2016 03:14PM
hoche
No, I'm saying that your claim of them being "out of touch with fans...really want" is hard to justify when their fanbase is growing.

No, what you are doing is making up an argument with me to win points on the internet. I never said they were out of touch with fans in regards to their media and advertising, did I?

Nope!

But, ya know, keep doing your thing. smileys with beer
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

August 03, 2016 03:37PM
Uh. Right. I am the SRDC after all.

dreamsofjvl
Sancho Panza
Mod Moderator

August 03, 2016 03:47PM
hoche
Uh. Right. I am the SRDC after all.

Well, I mean, I kind of figured that goes without saying (it is in your sig afterall). And here I was trying to be nice, and you even go about insulting yourself for me.

Have you no shame SIR?!

winking smiley
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

August 03, 2016 11:52PM
dreamsofjvl
If I was interested in outright speed, I'd watch drag racing or F1.

All of your arguments, in my opinion, take away from the rawness of rally. Yes, the cars are jumping farther. Yes, the speeds are higher. And yet its all so relatively effortless (on the car's part, obviously the drivers are busting ass at all times).

I will admit, I started watching again, and the COMPETITION is much more exciting than at almost any point in the past 5 years. But the cars are boring as hell.

Oh, and the 2017 WRC Toyota sounds like ASS :barf:

Somebody with a little experience and not raised up in the era of 20 something children driving AWD turbo Subarus boringly could very well say the same thing about all those guys who drive cars with all those crutches at the local level.... particularly when one watches just how timidly all but 2 or 3 guys drive them....often beaten by guys in humble 2wd cars....with one diff and no turbo.

But really who gives a flying fuck what some inter-net hero with no name says. If a guy can't stand beside their words then they're just a useless pile of shit. Especially if all they've ever done driving is a long string of crashes...Like you.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
dreamsofjvl
Sancho Panza
Mod Moderator

August 04, 2016 10:57AM
john vanlandingham
But really who gives a flying fuck what some inter-net hero

I know, right? That's how everyone treats the mention of that John guy who sometimes makes rally parts sometimes (usually longtimes) somewhere in the USA.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login