Advanced

2017 Spec WRC Cars

Posted by dreamsofjvl 
Not Trolling
Keith Morison
Godlike Moderator

Re: 2017 Spec WRC Cars
August 04, 2016 11:20AM
When I watch the current WRC cars I seriously wonder how someone can call them boring. Sure, they lack the flair and drama of the over-driven RWD style that sees cars being backed into corners, but the top of the pack is hardly driving straight lines through corners (nose end first anyone?) and the speed and car control is amazing.
Lots to be learned for sure.

First Rally attended (2000), First Rally competed in (2001)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Driver (8), Co-Driver (47), Drivers (19)
Clerk (29), Steward (1), Official (17), Volunteer (5)
WRC Spectator (1), WRC Photographer (6), WRC Observer (4)
Rallies attended (120) Countries attended rallies in (11)
Last Updated, May30, 2022
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Thomas Kimsey
Thomas Kimsey
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
1988 XRatty

August 04, 2016 12:49PM
I'm of the opinion that the highest level of motorsport in a given category should not be overly limited. If i'm watching WRC I want to see the best drivers in the best cars. I don't want to see the best driver in a car built to some set of rules made specifically to overly and artificially limit the ability and performance of the car.

Formula 1 has been diddling around with rules (1.6L turbo engines, crap tires, fuel capacity and flow limits) to limit cars and its been shit lately. No passing, no challenge. Just the world's best circuit drivers saving fuel and tires while avoiding penalties for "Racing".

With the increase in coverage for North American rallys and overseas rallys like F-cup and Irish events, I can watch all the 2wd slipping and sliding I want.
DanielSL
Daniel
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
2005 VW Mk. 4 Golf GTI 1.8T

August 04, 2016 01:31PM
I would like to see the FIA bring Group B back, at least in name and spirit. The safety equipment has progressed so far in the past thirty years that I think they could pull it off. The materials and welding of the cages, titanium, carbon fiber/kevlar, etc...

I think manufacturers that used to have a presence, and especially were the top of the tier back in Group B would build and enter cars simply because of the amount of nostalgia associated with them returning. Look at what happened with the return of Bentley and Aston to Le Mans.

If we could get Audi to build a "new" S1 based off of a RS5, or RS3 sportback, Citroen and Peugeot building specials, Porsche building a rally version of their Cayman GT4; wow the possibilities.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2016 01:32PM by DanielSL.
Thomas Kimsey
Thomas Kimsey
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
1988 XRatty

August 04, 2016 01:42PM
DanielSL
I would like to see the FIA bring Group B back, at least in name and spirit. The safety equipment has progressed so far in the past thirty years that I think they could pull it off. The materials and welding of the cages, titanium, carbon fiber/kevlar, etc...

Racing in the WRC is already very costly for manufacturers, what rules would you like to see lifted that aren't already being relaxed in the 2017 spec. Or would you like to see more powerful engines with crappy suspension, chassis, and brakes?

DanielSL
If we could get Audi to build a "new" S1 based off of a RS5, or RS3 sportback, Citroen and Peugeot building specials, Porsche building a rally version of their Cayman GT4; wow the possibilities.

Porsche and Audi have no reason to enter when VW is already winning almost every event. Not much sense in competing against yourself. I'm surprised they do it in WEC. Citroën is investing heavily in their 2017 car.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

August 04, 2016 03:08PM
dreamsofjvl
hoche

Right. I'm sure they should consult you because you're more in touch. It's not like their fan base hasn't been growing steadily over the few years or anything.
[/url]

So? Are you saying that the fanbase is growing due to the cars?

I sincerely doubt that, correlation != causation. The fanbase is growing because of the increased accessibility to media, which I applaud. But saying its because of the cars... well, you can think what you want. Doesn't make it right winking smiley

"Total audience across the 10 rallies rose by 35 per cent to 581.81 million viewers, while broadcast time increased by 70 per cent to 7275 hours."

My immediate thought was that the increase was probably just that it was shown more. Voila, straight from the article. 70 percent increase in showings yielded a 35 percent increase in viewers. Not a horrible return on investment from a broadcast perspective.

WRC is more accessible than ever with WRC Plus and every event I see random clips get posted and such. I often don't view them because the thrill of seeing one car rip sideways through a corner or sail a big jump just isn't sufficient for me anymore, especially if there is a mix of slo-mo thrown in liberally like hops in a PNW beer, puke worthy.
It seems like the show is coming back. Hayden Paddon won Argentina. Kris Meeke won Finland. I'm assuming Sebastian Ogier won a few others. I think I saw that Jari-Matti Latvala won one earlier in the year, maybe. It's ALMOST getting interesting enough for me to consider making the effort of finding someone to download a European review show to watch someday. Of course, new media also means constant spoilers so much like the Euro 2016 championships, I likely will find out won before getting a chance to watch so won't even bother.

Did you know that a majority of the Max Attack videos were filmed on 1998 era Digital 8 Sony handycams? I bought them used on ebay or borrowed them from people like Dave Kern to film with as they would film in 16:9, are hefty enough to help steady novice hands, and were very reliable. Ironically a few years later the MotorsTV coverage of Group F came out and it actually had the exact same look and feel, almost as if they copied the format. There's is much more exciting to watch as the competition is closer. Sad that it's not broadcast in English in the US. That'd be a show worth watching.

Grant Hughes
GravelSpeed
Clint Fast
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru WRX STI / Ford Fiesta R2

August 04, 2016 04:20PM
Sean Edwards
Have you guys actually watched any WRC rounds lately? It's insane, the spectacle is definitely there, the cars are still plenty sideways, going faster than any other form of WR car ever, getting more air etc.

I'm personally not excited about the 2017 cars new body work, with the cars going wider. I think the biggest fault of the WRC and the past 16 years of WR cars have been lack of relate-ability. The current WR car already looks nuts, you see it sitting still and expect it to go 200mph & fly thru the air. This wasn't the case during the Gr.A period and early World Rally cars. The visual spectacle of seeing a big four door sapphire like the one your mom drives sliding around on a forest road is more impact-full than seeing a WRC fiesta do what it looks like its supposed to do.

Have to agree here. The snooze fest is definitely over. This current crop of cars and drivers have made the sport pretty exciting to watch.
GravelSpeed
Clint Fast
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:

August 04, 2016 04:23PM
dreamsofjvl

Oh, and the 2017 WRC Toyota sounds like ASS :barf:

Most comments are about how good it sounds! It does sound quite nice IMO. What is it about it that is so bad?
dreamsofjvl
Sancho Panza
Junior Moderator

August 04, 2016 04:49PM
GravelSpeed
Most comments are about how good it sounds! It does sound quite nice IMO. What is it about it that is so bad?

This does not sound nice (I even have it linked from directly before the car takes off out of a corner):

?t=5

It sounds like crap.

This on the other hand:

Sounds nice at all times. The Toyota WRC 2017 car has a distinct sound, like the prodrive Mini WRC cars did. I would not describe it as "pleasant to the ears", more like a digitized bee with a bit of fart mixed in for good measure.

Anyone who says the Toyota WRC car sounds nice, must also think a Viper sounds nice (hint, it does not).

But that's just, like, my opinion. Some people apparently like country music, and while their taste in music is shit, they are entitled to their opinion spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

August 04, 2016 05:23PM
Sounds like a GoPro audio capture, aka fucking garbage.

Grant Hughes
Pete
Pete Remner
Mega Moderator

August 04, 2016 06:47PM
Sounds like every restricted turbo four-cylinder ever. And some not restricted ones.

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
Brian Johnson
Brian Johnson
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Co-Driver - Old School Motorsports WRX

August 05, 2016 06:17AM
Nice to see you here, Clint. Personally, I like the sound of the Toyotas. Hope the new gig is going well. thumbs up

-Brian
dreamsofjvl
Sancho Panza
Junior Moderator

August 05, 2016 08:44AM
NoCoast
Sounds like a GoPro audio capture, aka fucking garbage.

I thought the same too, then I watched more videos. Still sounds like crap.

Saw Mikko testing the Toyota apparently, which I am alright with! Curious to see what the 2017 driver lineup is like for all teams.
GravelSpeed
Clint Fast
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:

August 05, 2016 01:40PM
dreamsofjvl

This does not sound nice (I even have it linked from directly before the car takes off out of a corner):

?t=5

In the video you linked it does sound a bit flat. It's a bit sharper here:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2016 01:52PM by GravelSpeed.
AaronJMcConnell
AaronJMcConnell
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru Impreza

August 06, 2016 08:41AM
Sounds pretty awesome to me. Gives me a smile and goosebumps. Doesn't appear to have the new standard of a foot and a half of droop travel though...
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

August 06, 2016 11:28AM
AaronJMcConnell
Sounds pretty awesome to me. Gives me a smile and goosebumps. Doesn't appear to have the new standard of a foot and a half of droop travel though...

You just have a Tommi boner.

My almost two year old was working on how to say "Tommi Makinen" yesterday while playing with her Evo 6 rally car

Grant Hughes
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login