Posted by DanielSL 
DanielSL
Daniel
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
2005 VW Mk. 4 Golf GTI 1.8T

Who knows Audis?
April 10, 2017 06:37AM
All right. Can't stop thinking about a Quattro build. The GTI is running and competing in Modified Front. We are building the Firebird for either Prepared or Modified Rear for my wife for next season. That leaves an AWD class car, to be messed around with. I've always wanted an Ur-Quattro, but they cannot be had for even reasonable money anymore. And I wouldn't cut up a good one to make a Rally car out of. Which would mean finding one that had already been used in competition of some sort as a starting point.
So I figured I would go back to an A4. I had ABT build me a brand new B5 off of the showroom floor in 1998, and it was a wonderful car. But that was 20 years ago now. So I need to think about what is available in todays technology, using a 20 year old platform.
Does anyone have experience with A4 chassis cars? I am considering a post facelift B5, or an early B6. I am just not sure if the B6 has any suspension improvements that make it better for rally duty, or if the chassis was built better. I learned from the build thread on my GTI from one of you guys, that the Mk. 4 chassis was pretty much all laser seam welded, which made it a good starting point over a Mk. 3, once I had already started. So this time around, I am trying to get the knowledge first, before I buy a car. It looks like I can get either chassis for between 1k-2k as a starting point. Do not care about interior, brakes, or old suspension, as it will all come out or be replaced anyways.
Again, this would be another RallyCross car, with the potential of going to 1-2 stage rallys, maybe, some day. Just want to have an AWD car as well as the FWD.

Thanks.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
deaner
Dane Aura
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
PS4 controller

Re: Who knows Audis?
April 10, 2017 09:32PM
I'd go with a B2/B3 chassis... well, actually I did haha. Too many weak moving parts in the B5s suspension for gravel use in my opinion.
NGTD
Dave Cotie
Professional Moderator

April 10, 2017 10:18PM
deaner
I'd go with a B2/B3 chassis... well, actually I did haha. Too many weak moving parts in the B5s suspension for gravel use in my opinion.

Yeah this - quite possibly the most over-designed POS front suspension known to man.
DanielSL
Daniel
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:

April 11, 2017 05:47AM
Thanks, guys. That's what I was afraid of.

Between eBay, Craigslist, and forums, there is only one B3 up for sale in the state, and no B2 cars. The B3 is a 1990 Quattro Coupe. But its a non-runner, and I am unsure of engine, trans, and chassis condition as its an hour and a half away from me. The good thing is it has been listed for well over a year at a grand, with no takers; so if I showed up with cash in hand I am sure I could get it for a few hundred bucks.

The late B5 and early B6 cars are everywhere. More than half a dozen quattro models with either 1.8 or 2.8 engines, for less than 2 grand, within 30 minutes of me on CL alone.

I am guessing the best thing to do is to go look at the B3 so the guy sees that there is some interest, and doesn't end up scrapping it. If the chassis is straight and rust free, then try to figure out some way to convince the wife to let me get it and throw it in storage while we are building her Firebird. Theis is the ONLY B3 car (non-convertible), that I have seen in over two and a half years of searching, in the state of Florida.
fliz
Chad Eixenberger
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1988 VW Golf #687

April 11, 2017 09:38AM
DanielSL
Theis is the ONLY B3 car (non-convertible), that I have seen in over two and a half years of searching, in the state of Florida.
Should make finding replacement parts easy. drinking smiley
DanielSL
Daniel
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:

April 11, 2017 09:43AM
Another reason I was thinking a late B5 (5.5), or an early B6. Another reason on top of that, is if I stay with a 1.8T engine, I can keep one set of spares for both the Audi and the GTI.
deaner
Dane Aura
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
PS4 controller

April 11, 2017 12:27PM
DanielSL
Another reason I was thinking a late B5 (5.5), or an early B6. Another reason on top of that, is if I stay with a 1.8T engine, I can keep one set of spares for both the Audi and the GTI.

I wouldn't trade the shitty suspension to be able to swap the very small number of parts between a longitudinal motor and a transverse motor. The parts that matter don't swap back and forth and the ones that do, you aren't going to be replacing in a field at an event.

I think Flatout makes RX suspension for those pigs if you just have to go the B5 route. Start stocking up on control arms and ball joints now...
DanielSL
Daniel
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:

April 11, 2017 12:36PM
Well noted.

I would rather do a B2 myself, as its the car I know best. My first car at 16 was an 82' 4000 4E quattro, and I've owned a 4000 CS, and a 5000 CS Turbo. But I always lusted after a coupe. Even a non-quattro GT model.

I am waiting on photos of the one in south Florida.
DanielSL
Daniel
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:

April 11, 2017 02:16PM
Lord, this thing is in rough shape. Supposedly, seller bought it from guy with "rally car dreams" - so Perfect! That's why the dash is all weird with aluminum and switches. Has all four matching 15" speedlines. Looks like all of the glass is there. He says engine will run with starter fluid to get it up on trailer. So at least its not locked up, or slipped timing. A couple of positive notes...
Attachments:
open | download - 17341.jpeg (49.1 KB)
17341.jpeg
open | download - 17343.jpeg (25 KB)
17343.jpeg
open | download - 17342.jpeg (25 KB)
17342.jpeg
open | download - T1yHj4q.gif (698.3 KB)
T1yHj4q.gif
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

April 11, 2017 03:26PM
I've seen rallycrosses won by cars that were such pieces of shit they were GIVEN away shortly after because they weren't worth selling.
Get the newer car and go rallycross with it.
As a rally car they are horrendous, we (me=tech then codriver) hill climbed one for a few seasons, won some stuff (Pikes Peak, CHCA Championship) and learned alot. We did the 20V turbo engine from a 95 S6 into it because the guy building it liked that engine and had a race one and tons of parts already. We had 450 hp and would lose to a PGT Subaru WRX with diffs at the less steep events, mostly due to gearing and diffs. We started replacing control arms every other event just to stay safe.

Grant Hughes
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

April 12, 2017 02:26PM
On the coupe.
If the engine turns over, it will run again.

Hitachi injectors are crap.

Pretty tough to ruin an 01A trans with the 7A engine so odds are good trans is fine.

Glass is tough to come by but not impossible (yet)

Stock cooling isn't enough for a rally stage, just fine for a grassy field. (dont remove any of the ducting, if it's trash-remake something to replace it)

AK motorsports, HPR performance have all the goods to revamp suspension bushings etc. JVL is the only one I know of for good dampers, though supposedly Some acura or other stuff can be converted if you want to go order spendy tien stuff just to chop it up.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login