Posted by derek 
derek
Derek Bottles
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Past: 323, RX2, GTI. Next up M3 ?

Re: Entry Fees
March 31, 2006 03:13PM
I think the clubs pick up the payroll for sure.

They print race books but they are likely less expensive than notes. I wrote the 199? race book for the Seattle Yacht Club. Most of the ragatts do have a few pages handed out at the event and resluts etc so printing may be less but is not 0

Way less volunteers.

In Yacht Clubs membership typically runs between 500 and 3000 memmbers. Dues start small say $200 a year then go up with age. I having just gotten over the 35 yr brake now pay $660 a year and I am still on the young side so figure and average yearly fee of say $750 but that includes more than racing. So at my club with 2500 members membership income is $1,875,000. There are other incomes like race fees etc and in my case a bar too.

I do think rally would do well to move to more of a club type format because like country clubs the membership fees provide a solid base and staff to go after putting on events.

DKB

In the long run reality always wins.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

March 31, 2006 04:30PM
derek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> race fees etc and in my case a bar too.
> DKB

On your boat?

Grant Hughes
derek
Derek Bottles
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Past: 323, RX2, GTI. Next up M3 ?

March 31, 2006 08:14PM
No bar on my boat, sure we have beer but not mixed drinks.

My Club has a bar.

I think Mr. Green is asking good quesitons.

As for event rules, it has been 2 or 3 years since I read them so I am not qulified to speak to them right now.

As to fees, I attended a meeting a few days ago and I am hardly going to say the organizers are doing bad in the current environment. I know well no one is making money at it. I think in the long run we are going to need to make a new approch to rally - if nothing else to get roads.

There are already some car clubs where a club has built a track and has club houses etc - like country clubs.

Forest land produces income, a club buying a large tree farm and using the tree crop to pay for the land over time is not a crazy idea. Same goes for ranch land. An organized club with some solid membership income could put together something very interesting.

In today's world a million in income would support debt on about $15,000,000 in land, even if the land did not produce any income. Sevral tree farms have sold for way less than that with miles of good roads.

I am also a member of a flying club, I pay no dues (since I have my own plane non owners pay like $50/month) and the club owns or leases several planes. I can go down and use the planes for about $100/hr They have mecanics, hangers, staff, planes etc, there are many ways to organize that make the finances work better than what we do now. Think about rental cars for a few hundred and hr at a forest complex about 2 hrs out side of a major city in the club like thing I talk about above. Sure there should be a road cource for the track people...

Now think about doing something like that in conjunction with Native Amricans on a reservation say with a ground lease for roads. Hmmmmmm Say Yakima 1:20 from Seattle or where we have the Doo Wops about 2 hrs from Seattle.

Derek

In the long run reality always wins.
Skye
Skye Nott
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Xratty

March 31, 2006 08:32PM
mothra Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > Give Anders a break. He took the time this year
> to organize a successful event. He speaks more
> openly than most organizers about the real costs
> of putting on an event. Its a good chance to see
> what we as competitors can live without in order
> to have a reduced entry fee.

Great, good for him, bravo, hugs & kisses, welcome, etc

I would have known that if he had posted "Hi my name is Anders, here's where I'm from and what I do". As it was, I knew zero about him other than every post was nitpicking at old threads. You can't expect to jump into a forum without introducing yourself and not expect a bit of flak....

Before: some guy with a moustache and a subaru
Now: rally organizer

Puts the questions in a different light.

Skye

www.rallyrace.net

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2006 08:39PM by Skye.
Skye
Skye Nott
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Xratty

March 31, 2006 08:37PM
Now THAT is an interesting idea, the tree farm thing.
Someone do it smiling smiley

Lots of domestic car clubs with clubhouses, spray booths, workshops, etc

For some reason RALLY can not get its head around the idea that REGIONAL CLUBS are the base on which everything is founded. Like John says it's really hard to circle one wagon. There are sort of pockets of people here and there but John's place is the only place I've found where rally guys just stop by and hang out. Hence it being a source of grassroots agitation...

Skye

www.rallyrace.net
nick the brit
Nick Taylor
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
1995 Subaru Impreza WRX

March 31, 2006 11:34PM
I found out about this place a couple of years ago.
It is a full race circuit with bends modelled on famous racetrack corners from around the world. They have a garage of cars that the members can drive at the circuit - although I believe I read somewhere that membership is in the region of $200,000!
I guess this is how the other half play!

http://www.ascari.net/secciones.php?idioma=2&&seccion=15

Nick Taylor.
Knobhead.
Los Angeles, CA.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login