Posted by TLatham 
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

Re: X Games Rally
April 03, 2006 02:59PM
The real goal for brisk TSD is to hit hikers because they just complain and make us lose road permits for sanctioned events.

You know Jens, for someone who was being such a pussy about Pike's Peak, I'm surprised your willing to put families, hikers, and truly innocent people at risk by condoning brisk TSDs based upon your definition as an unsanctioned stage rally. You fucking hypocrite.

Grant Hughes
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Richard Miller
Richard Miller
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 900T, Mustang now running

April 03, 2006 03:43PM
Since it seems to be a requirement of this forum to use pejoratives, Grant, you are an idiot. Not really, you are just not knowledgeable about how rally started. Remember the first rally was in 1911 long before even Jens was born. The thing protecting hikers and other alleged innocents was the common sense of the drivers. I know this is a foreign concept to many but since there were no roll cages or helmets required, it was important to drive with care. And since the roads weren’t closed, you also had to watch out for other traffic. Did stuff happen? Occasionally but the finishing rates were much higher than those of today.

Is it dangerous? Yes. It is the opinion of many within the SCCA that road rally has the most exposure to liability of all the programs. After all, if you are stopped on the side of a country road for a 2 minute pause on a slow, legal TSD rally and get rear ended by a Pinto with Firestone tires that bursts into flames, a jury is liable to find you responsible since you were competing in an automotive event.

RichardM
sauna rocks
jake himes
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Rx7 (1st gen shell/2nd gen goodies), Pretty soon a bitchin' Capri

April 03, 2006 04:40PM
The common sense of the drivers????? So there weren't any idiots back then???

This is totally nuts. How is this supposed to be safe? These roads are not closed. No wonder rally in the states cannot handle the least bit of growth without a liability nightmare.

We sure could use a series sponsor to help drive costs down. But you need exposure to get a sponsor, uh wait, exposure is bad, depending who you ask.

Richard Miller
Richard Miller
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:

April 03, 2006 04:48PM
Sure there were idiots then. They have always and forever on been with us. But if you drive your car to an event and have to drive it home again and go to work in that same car, you will drive more better.

Today, but not back then, a licensed safety steward is supposed to check the course and verify speeds are not too high. That is why I find TSD events boring. Well that and I don't like the logic traps that are a part of TSD now.

RichardM
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

April 03, 2006 05:06PM
I know exactly how rally started. And I accept that it will never be there again. It also was probably safer back then to go flat out on deserted country roads due to so many factors but mostly the increase in population in remote areas and the increase in outdoor recreational activities. Were there idiots. Sure, just like there are now.

PS> More better? smiling smiley Safer, faster, better? (Imagine a wicked grin and a beer in my hand sitting across the table from you)

Grant Hughes
sauna rocks
jake himes
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Rx7 (1st gen shell/2nd gen goodies), Pretty soon a bitchin' Capri

April 03, 2006 05:59PM
Man I would have been too much idiot for those brisk STDs to handle. I would have ruined the good old days.
Richard Miller
Richard Miller
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:

April 03, 2006 08:21PM
TSD but too much beer can lead to STDs. :-)

PS: Grant, I'll buy the first round.

RichardM
Skye
Skye Nott
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Xratty

April 03, 2006 11:21PM
Well here's hoping they pick fast drivers that are exciting to watch, not just a bunch of rich slow boring drivers.

www.rallyrace.net
derek
Derek Bottles
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Past: 323, RX2, GTI. Next up M3 ?

April 12, 2006 12:07AM
I did some TSD's in the 1970's and a few in the 1980's... Not bad for a guy in his 30's!

For a long time Stage rally liked to say we have never kill someone, look someone died in a TSD so we are safer. Then some guy in a big American car at POR offed himself, shortly later Wolf go offed by a drunk and so on and so forth.

D

In the long run reality always wins.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login