Posted by sauna rocks 
sauna rocks
jake himes
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Rx7 (1st gen shell/2nd gen goodies), Pretty soon a bitchin' Capri

How to start a rallyclub
April 02, 2006 04:25PM
The idea of rally clubs has been one that has been kicked around. I feel that it is the way for rally to grow. It would be localized and pretty substantive.

Derek Bottles had a great idea to purchase land and manage it for timber and rally. That idea has some serious potential. Rick Schnelling would be the guy for you folks to talk with out there. The idea does have serious merit.

Please Login or Register to post a reply
Richard Miller
Richard Miller
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 900T, Mustang now running

Re: How to start a rallyclub
April 02, 2006 05:56PM

And I know how to form an IRS legal club. But then this site is for anarchy. To hell with doing any thing legal.

RichardM
mothra
Matt Smith
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
xr4ti

April 03, 2006 08:22AM

It is something that is being discussed in my neck of the woods. In addition to timber management you could also look into using some of the property as wetland or stream mitigation. I can provide more detail if anyone is interested. And leasing the land for hunting and fishing (Guided?) during certain times of the year could provide additional income.

So far as setup I would look at hunting clubs as a structural model for a rally club.

Matt Smith

Racing in glorious black and red

My daily life is a Saab story (sold!)
sauna rocks
jake himes
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Rx7 (1st gen shell/2nd gen goodies), Pretty soon a bitchin' Capri

April 03, 2006 10:09AM
There are a ton of ways to make money off wooded property. People spend a ton of money in the woods. It's a huge industry. Matt it would be good to see as much info as we can intelligently digest here. I guess that means something different to everyone.
Scott Manley
Scott Manley
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
XR4Ti

April 03, 2006 08:28PM
My cousin had an offer in to purchase just around 400 acres in Central Wash. and was hip on the idea of having some limited rally, maybe a couple of times a year. But the deal fell through.

I've thought about doing something like that, maybe some kind of limited partnership. Find ways to use the land for year around. I wonder what it would cost to lease gov. land the way ski resorts do?

Scott Manley
Spokane, WA
86' XR4Ti
derek
Derek Bottles
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Past: 323, RX2, GTI. Next up M3 ?

April 04, 2006 11:11AM
Leasing Crown land up in BC is very attractive, US land is a bit harder at first glance.

Sometimes development rights can be sold off the land to keep it in logging rather than houses, Those rights can help pay the early cost of aquiring the land. Sometimes a deal can be worked with an enviromental group to place a convennet on the land, I think it would be fantastic to have an enviromental group partner with a rally group to get that done.

The land could be owned by a REIT (Real Estate Investment Trust) and the manager (us) can use rally as one of the income streams. Even if the income from rally is small it makes no since to have land sitting un used when it could make somehting on weekends. A REIT is also a good way to raise funds to buy the land. I keep about 23% of my 401K in REIT's as their shares trade as stock but there is very solid asset (land) in the value of the share so it is not just based on earnings.

So rather than having a dues club we encurage everyone to buy REIT shares as a savings plan. These shares whould be fairly liquid ie you could sell them at any time and if done right we could make a fair return on the savings say 8%. So far my REIT's I own have returned about 20% to 30% but they are likely more in apartment buildings or hotels then Forrest land.

Derek

In the long run reality always wins.
Sofa King
Monika Hawkinson
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
2006 Tacoma

April 04, 2006 11:18PM
And with the expected sell-off of National Forest lands (as proposed by the administration), now might be the perfect time to do it.

Also, a mountain bike park could probably make some cash. Whistler does pretty good in the off-season, and "freeride" is huge right now.

Monika Hawkinson
Seattle, WA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login