Posted by derek 
derek
Derek Bottles
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Past: 323, RX2, GTI. Next up M3 ?

I am so proud of you all
January 26, 2006 07:04PM
I am very proud of you all for having the right sprit.

If you need to ever see the insperation for this format take a look a sailing anarchy and read anything writen by "Lesbian Robot".

Sailing Anarchy has grown to be the largest sailing news source in the world even though it is a bit crass.

Here is a post from their news page today: showing they still have the right viewpoints:

We haven't received many like this one of late, but we take comfort in knowing that we still piss some people off. Good Times.

I just checked out your site for the first time and was absolutely appalled at the content in your forum section. You do a disservice to the sport of sailing by allowing this discrimination to be viewed by the public in general. I've been a sailor for 40 yrs. and own my own sailing school and can't believe the lack of manners and the language that is allowed on your site. If a lifelong racing sailor is immediately disgusted by this what will the public think of sailors/sailing in general??? You should be ashamed of these ignorant,testosterone-fueled losers. I, for one, will never visit your site again. It's sad that people don't have better things to do with their free time. What is the world coming to?? I think you should police your forums more effectively or risk alienating new sailors away from our fabulous sport.

In the long run reality always wins.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
sagsert
Mustafa Samli
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Gaylant VR4

Re: I am so proud of you all
January 26, 2006 09:12PM
derek Wrote:

>
> I just checked out your site for the first time
> and was absolutely appalled at the content in your
> forum section. You do a disservice to the sport of
> sailing by allowing this discrimination to be
> viewed by the public in general. I've been a
> sailor for 40 yrs. and own my own sailing school
> and can't believe the lack of manners and the
> language that is allowed on your site. If a
> lifelong racing sailor is immediately disgusted by
> this what will the public think of sailors/sailing
> in general??? You should be ashamed of these
> ignorant,testosterone-fueled losers. I, for one,
> will never visit your site again. It's sad that
> people don't have better things to do with their
> free time. What is the world coming to?? I think
> you should police your forums more effectively or
> risk alienating new sailors away from our fabulous
> sport.

Holy shit sounds just like the sort of crap the Goody Twoshoes of SS would write.

Cheers
M.Samli
Phoenix AZ
Gaylant VR4
EVO III GSR (Stolen)

Rallies are no place for traitors
Taro
Taro Snell
Junior Moderator

January 26, 2006 11:47PM

> I've been a sailor for 40 yrs. and own my own sailing
> school and can't believe the lack of manners and the
> language that is allowed on your site. If a
> lifelong racing sailor is immediately
> disgusted by
> this what will the public think of
> sailors/sailing
> in general??? You should be ashamed of these
> ignorant,testosterone-fueled losers. I, for one,
> will never visit your site again.

I think that statement sums up the whole point behind this site. Real people, real ideas, real language! I'm sure that self centered grandiloquent 'life long racing sailor' is a perfect representation of sailing culture. If I read a few posts authored by him, I'd probably go buy a jet-ski just to piss off the yachters.
When I started to get really into rally, I read everything I could find. I was broke and busy, so I just planned and read about rally. Then I saw the politics and bullshit on SS. Over time it totally took the wind out of my sails. You read those sites, and there is so little support for the guy starting out, the guy who can build anything he puts his mind to, but can't afford a new subie with DMS or a diesel crewcab towrig.
Now with the rule changes it just makes everything seems so complicated and involved. I had hopes that rally would be a club, with buddies, and we're all doing something we live to do. I understand there needs to be organization and legality, but whats the point of being involved if it loses it's humanity. It still an awesome sport, and I will be out there racing as soon as I can, I just hate to have the gestapo leaning over our shoulders trying to make it big business by catering to the rich guys instead of growing the other 98% of the field.
It all just reminds me why I love to go 4bying. Trucks, some mud rocks and hills. Chicks and lots and lots of beer. At the end of the weekend you'll be hungover, may have gotten beaten up and trashed your truck. But if you can think it, you can build it, and no one will ever tell you otherwise.
Cheers to the great site!
I only know Morton in person, but it still feels like a community here. My Vulvoid will live! and I'll be able to come play with you guys.
Cheers

Taro

Taro Snell
Gabriola Is, Colombie Britannique, Canuckistan
1979 Volvo 240 GrF....eventually
Skye
Skye Nott
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Xratty

January 27, 2006 02:19AM
I'll be back in Vancouver by this summer, we should have a GTG ... maybe my car will be ready for Merritt how about you?

We tried to have a CCCP (cheap competitive car project?) club meeting once at this dive bar near John's in SeaTac, I wore my bling iced out dollar sign chain cuz all us rally guys are rich ya know, we drank beer and put "best rally crashes" videos on the big screen. Confused the hell out of the locals but it was fun, I think about a dozen people showed up. Actually we had one other meet before that at a pub in Ballard.

Like you, I thought it was going to be more club-like when I started. Glad I found "the asylum" and connected with others that had similar ideas.

www.rallyrace.net

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2006 02:22AM by Skye.
John Lane
John Lane
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Volvo 262turbo AKA the SPE

January 27, 2006 10:26AM
Awwwwww Derek you are getting us all misty.
Derek and CO.... Thank you for putting this together so that we can have unfiltered fun here on the internet and chase assholes like Jens away.

John Lane

JohnLane

Volvo 260turbo AKA The Fire Breathing Monster
Overkill is consistently more fun
SEANT
SEAN TENNIS
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
SAAB 99, SAAB 96 850, SAAB 99T, SAAB V4

January 27, 2006 10:42AM
I have to agree, however there is no reasons we can't all show up some place at the same time watch videos talk and drink....

Lets face we have the same issues with the current state of rally, the cost has become rediculous, rules that have no stability are pointless, did I mention costs? All most of us want to do is go out an compete/play but the rising costs of entry fees make it impossible to use the equipment enough before it becomes out-dated by the rules, which makes the cost for each event even higher. Geez

I have to laugh at the 2" rollbar rule, it reminds me of federal regulations and the typical American response-make the car stronger-problems is the forces are not abosrbed and get transfered at higher loads to the occupants, the people that the rule is trying to protect. That is why production cars now collapse in impacts to reduce the loads on the occupants, there is no reason to think our cars should perform any different and making the car to robost is asking for trouble....

Anyhow if someone has an idea where to get together we should make it happen as often as possible!

Mr. Lane, what is the deal with your "getting out of Seattle"?

As always IMHO

SEAN TENNIS KF7JJR
SEATTLE, WASHINGTON
SAAB 99, SAAB 850
SAAB V4, SAAB 99T
sagsert
Mustafa Samli
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Gaylant VR4

January 27, 2006 11:53AM
I think behind this whole safety paranoia the insurance companies are lurking.
They are not properly informed and the sanctioning bodies are not efficient to inform them and their lawyers. Unfortunately there will always be lawyers who are willing to look for some sort of malpractice or fault under everything to make themselves money. Acoordingly the insurance companies who don't want to lose their asses are asking for severe and in most cases unrealistic modifications, incompetant technical people are doing nothing but complying with their requests. This is nothing but a case of capitulation. As competitors if we don't object to these requests openly and loudly, soon we will be driving tanks wearing space suits or even worse rallying will be limited to XBox or PlayStation.

Last weekend, some rallyists here in the cool and breezy AZ got together at Speedway Raceway for an indoor karting meet. We had a nice turnout and not only had an opportunity to discuss the current affairs, we even had a chance to rub fenders and bump karts. Mike Taylor told me that our decision to withdraw from RA events as STC has caused concerns at USRC and that for 2007 rule changes and new rule implementations, they were going to start the thought and discussion process around June-July 2006. I think this is a very positive step from NASA?USRC.

In the past we tried to voice our individual opinions and reactions, it didn't work. Naturally when we get together and form some sort of alliance and vocalise our thoughts, concerns and decisions it works a lot better.

We shouldn't have to remind to the sanctioning bodies and organisers that we are their customers, no matter how much money they have, how many sponsors they have or how big they are, they need us to participate in their events to justify their existence. They must and will work with us, not against us, not inspite of us.

Cheers
M.Samli
Phoenix AZ
Gaylant VR4
EVO III GSR (Stolen)

Rallies are no place for traitors
John Lane
John Lane
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Volvo 262turbo AKA the SPE

January 27, 2006 01:08PM
Sean Carrie and I have purchased our own slice of heaven a hundred miles to the North of Seattle. We are busy divesting of our Seattle (King County) holdings. The house in Preston is sold and due to close in two weeks..... I am busy working at helping my business partner to see the light about his needing to pay me to own the other 50% of the business and property that we have been working at for 16 years now. He is not the brightest star in the night sky though, and is having to be actively led down the path to enlightenment. We are making progress albiet painfully slowly.

JohnLane

Volvo 260turbo AKA The Fire Breathing Monster
Overkill is consistently more fun
derek
Derek Bottles
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:

January 27, 2006 02:31PM
If Monro Speed Way can get insurnace for white trash racing with those limited safty rules the idea the insurance compaines are driving this is questionable.

Also look at the times the SCCA has been sued by drivers. The Waver works it has stood up in every case I could find. The courts keep finding that SCCA is not required to make the racing safe, the track safe or the cars safe, the entrent is taking the risk with full understaning they are at risk. Spectators who get in with out waver are a bit of a problem and attornies that fish cost money even when they loose but the exposure is not that grate for insurance companies.

Derek

derek
Derek Bottles
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:

More Back and Forth from other site
January 27, 2006 03:14PM
Here is the full text of the exchange:

He: I just checked out your site for the first time and was absolutely appalled at the content in your forum section. You do a disservice to the sport of sailing by allowing this discrimination to be viewed by the public in general. I've been a sailor for 40 yrs. and own my own sailing school and can't believe the lack of manners and the language that is allowed on your site. If a lifelong racing sailor is immediately disgusted by this what will the public think of sailors/sailing in general??? You should be ashamed of these ignorant,testosterone-fueled losers. I, for one, will never visit your site again. It's sad that people don't have better things to do with their free time. What is the world coming to?? I think you should police your forums more effectively or risk alienating new sailors away from our fabulous sport.

Me: I've been racing for nearly 40 years myself and I think its just fine - so apparently does most everybody else - we are the most visited sailing site in the world. You see, a lot of us are big boys and girls who like to express ourselves without fear of some artificial censorship. You take care now.

He: No, I don't see. Big boys and girls shouldn't need to discriminate against homosexuals and women. Guess you are just as ignorant.

Me: Sadly, what people should or shouldn't need to do is not dictated by you. Ignorant? Do you think it is necessary to name call? I'm very disappointed that you have a need to discriminate against me because of your inability to understand Sailing Anarchy.

He: Whatever....I was just trying to enlighten you that some people may be offended by a small percentage of your site.
There's a ton of valuable info there, too!

Me: Being called ignorant is now part of becoming enlightened? I am not concerned with who is or isn't offended by any of the content. If I was, I never would have started it in the first place. We're a big tent here. Come on in whenever you wish.

That was the end of that exchange. Not earth shattering, but at least mildly entertaining.

01/27/06

Taro
Taro Snell
Junior Moderator

January 27, 2006 09:04PM
I highly doubt I'll have it together by MT, PFR is what I'm aiming for. I have a bare shell sitting in my shop, and nothing else. So lots and lots of planning and work still ahead.

Taro Snell
Gabriola Is, Colombie Britannique, Canuckistan
1979 Volvo 240 GrF....eventually
hudson
Andrew McNally
Mega Moderator

Insurance / Risk / Death
January 31, 2006 01:19PM
I'm mostly ingorant aside from what I have read peicemeal here and there as to the current state of rally affairs in the US.

What I would like to point out however is that I come from a large race snowboard ridding / skiing background and people die all the time doing that. I myself ripped my right leg into pieces last season when I had a wicked crash on a board that isn't easily tamed.

My father just told me that a hill next to the one he's a member at had a fatality just a little while ago and the going rate is 7+ ambulances a day and a couple helicopter evacs a day. This is at a public resort that manages to get insurance (in the states even).

So as to your posts, I think you might have some success if you band together. If the participents sign a waver and there is proper policing of spectators (ie that they have all signed wavers) then there shouldn't be much of an insurance problem.

Andrew M
Onterrible
30ish
foghorn
kent gardam
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
soverel 33

February 19, 2006 08:40PM
Emulate LR? Those are damn high standards, Derek. In spite of the occasional flamer by JVL, we are not worthy. But it sure is a hell of a goal to aspire to.

How did I manage to take so long to discover this phorum?

yeah, i've got a six foot keel. what's it to you?
derek
Derek Bottles
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:

February 20, 2006 09:08AM
I am not up to the job of a LR rant, and frankly it is hard for a bunch of mostly American's to come up with the rich use of language that the Aussies and New Zelanders are born with.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login