Rally Chat
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

Does anyone volunteer at event locations...

Posted by DR1665 
DR1665
Brian Driggs
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Keyboard. Deal with it.

Does anyone volunteer at event locations...
December 12, 2006 06:33PM
...When there is no event going on? I was just reading on a 4X4 forum where someone suggested volunteering in parks where their club likes to go 4-wheeling. In doing so, the members of the club are seen as working to care for the land they use. Doing so gets them in good with the authorities who determine who does and does not gain access to the land.

Granted, people from two states away can't very well drive out to spend a weekend patching potholes, but I thought it might be a good idea for those people who are local to an event. Get some friends together and volunteer under the event's name to help the BLM/USFS take care of the land.

Surely, if the people who race on the land come back and repair it, it shows the powers that be that we're not all about destruction and terror in the woods (all the time).

Another random idea from resident FNG. tongue sticking out smiley

Brian Driggs | KG7KCA | PHX, AZ | 89 Pajero
alterius non sit qui suus esse potest
Please Login or Register to post a reply
starion887
starion887
Ultra Moderator

Re: Does anyone volunteer at event locations...
December 13, 2006 11:40AM
There's been several cases in my knowledge. The one that comes to mind is at RNY where one of the local competitors with a local construction company came out and did some grading and graveling of the one really rough road on the Boy Scout land. It helped everyone involved.

To seriously do anything, one would need a grader and a dump truck, IMO. Not out of the realm of possiblity, BTW! I think it's been done on other rallies but by hiring a local grader.

Regards,
Mark B.
DR1665
Brian Driggs
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Keyboard. Deal with it.

December 13, 2006 01:51PM
Well, I'm not really suggesting we go back out to fix the roads, but I wonder how much good it might do to have rally people visit the site and help to plant trees, fix fences and signs, or other needed work. Kinda like people sponsoring a section of the highway.

Just another way to show non-rally people the character of the rally community.

Brian Driggs | KG7KCA | PHX, AZ | 89 Pajero
alterius non sit qui suus esse potest
Carl S
Carl Seidel
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1993 honderp

December 13, 2006 05:01PM
DR1665 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> fix fences and signs

Hmm, next time I'm at sno drift I could go straighten out my yeild sign. I only bent it a little...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login