Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: RallyMoto?
September 21, 2006 10:59AM
mothra Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Different strokes......It seems kind of insane to
> most people to run street based cars on the tight
> twisty treelined bumpy roads we run rally cars on.
>
>
> some events may lend themselves to rally moto
> better than others.
>
> Matt Smith

Matt, fortunately, those who have the money to buy and prepare rally cars tend to be wary, careful people and they drive their cars relatively slowly and they are inside a cage inside a car and if anybody did their job half-right the sum is safer than the parts alone.
Bikes as you know, are a LOT FASTER OUT OF THE BOX, and they are very easy to DRIVE VERY VERY FAST down the staights, and those that want to play Soooooper whatever probably aren't a bunch of retire moto-cross riders used to dealing with lots of power on gnarly surfaces, I have a feeling they are more yuppie-scum type richer, bought a bike on a whim cause it really doesn't cost much and they want to "play" a bit.

Sorta like BMW or Alfa club track day guys.

Sounds like a recipe for disastre to me.

Or possibly just more agonizingly boring nonsense, like the cruise thru of blue Subarus which passes for rally these days.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Lurch
Eric Burmeister
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Mazdaspeed3 and Mazda Protege

October 11, 2006 01:21PM
john vanlandingham Wrote:
> Sounds like a recipe for disastre to me.
>
> Or possibly just more agonizingly boring nonsense,
> like the cruise thru of blue Subarus which passes
> for rally these days.

I tend to agree, John. I would pick my rallies very carefully.

A few years ago, I went with 5 other guys to spectate STPR, but since we all know spectating is like watching fish spawn, we took dual sport bikes and camped in the canyon near one of the stages so we could ride to spectator areas. The other benefit was being able to ride past all the cages at the speccie areas and stash the bikes in the woods...then ride past them on the way out with no waiting in line. Allows one to see a lot more rally, or not, depending on what blows one's skirt up.

These guys were all rally fans, some were pretty good rally drivers, too. I took a KTM520 with motard wheels on it. I spent all night before leaving cutting up a set of roadracing rains with my groover to work on the fast clay/gravel roads in PA.

Long story short, within a few minutes of leaving the campground and hitting a stage road before they were closed down for the rally, we had an off. Bent forks, shaken rider. Shoot. Let's go back to camp at a slow, leisurely pace and get this sorted.

A few minutes later, I came across a blind 2R that I had no hope of making smiling smiley so I scrubbed as much speed off before overshoot, then gassed it to try and jump the ditch. Landed in a soft swampy area with little worry...maybe a slow speed otb moment. However, as I was picking up the bike I heard another bike skidding on the gravel behind me. One of our other riders (very eager, but less experienced at the time) fell and broke his leg and dislocated his shoulder.

We got him to Wellsboro's hospital and he was tranferred downstate. All that was left was dealing with the rangers who were hungry for a CSI episode of their own.

We know bikes accelerate better than STIs with 40mm restrictors. That is all they do well.

If doing a rally on a bike, I would want to have a gps with waypoints for every sharp curve or intersection, since I don't have a navvie to beat me on the helmet.

I am looking forward to Sandblast, because it is a sand event. I will run full knobs there and, after all the cars go thru, I think the ruts and sand will keep the speeds to a sane enough level to have fun. If running someplace like STPR, I would be riding like a frickin granny.

Yeah, I suck.

Lurch
Eric Burmeister
The west coast...of Michigan
mothra
Matt Smith
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
xr4ti

October 11, 2006 01:54PM
Following that line of discussion. I am a novice biker especially on dirt roads. I have been spending a lot of time on the bike on dirt roads similar to what we use for rally. I found it very frustrating that the bike corners so poorly on th gravel and am I missing technique or am I a big wuss? I learned the hard way that it won't turn without leaning over on the gravel.

Matt Smith

Racing in glorious black and red

My daily life is a Saab story (sold!)
Lurch
Eric Burmeister
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:

October 11, 2006 02:37PM
There is a reason the funnest tracks have killer berms on the turns...

Get up on the tank...tickle yer willy on the gas cap and get that front end to stick, then, much like an RX7, who cares where the rear end goes, as long as it's somewhere behind you.

http://www.burmeisterrallysport.com/images/rambunctious.ASF

Lurch
Eric Burmeister
Rally West
Rem Wyatt
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
1985 Golf

October 12, 2006 01:02AM
Lurch Wrote:
> There is a reason the funnest tracks have killer
> berms on the turns...
>
> Get up on the tank...tickle yer willy on the gas
> cap and get that front end to stick, then, much
> like an RX7, who cares where the rear end goes, as
> long as it's somewhere behind you.

Slide yer asscrack over the outside seat edge, elbows up, ALL your weight on the outer peg. THE hardest thing to learn about dirtbiking is cornering. Oh...and say to yourself..."momentum and commitment" just like a G2 car!!!
>
>
>
> Lurch
> Eric Burmeister
> Greatlakesknowitallatlarge
> Dee-troit
> Still work at Ford...for now...check back
> tomorrow.

Thanks To: Billygoat Racing "Smokin' since 1977"
mothra
Matt Smith
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
xr4ti

October 12, 2006 08:00AM

Thanks for the direction. Eric, looking forward to seeing you at Sandblast. I will likley be in the rally car not on the bike.

Looks like I need practice and a good insurence plan.

Matt Smith

john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 12, 2006 11:01AM
Lurch Wrote:
> There is a reason the funnest tracks have killer
> berms on the turns...
>
> Get up on the tank...tickle yer willy on the gas
> cap and get that front end to stick, then, much
> like an RX7, who cares where the rear end goes, as
> long as it's somewhere behind you.
>
>
>
> Lurch
> Eric Burmeister
> Greatlakesknowitallatlarge
> Dee-troit
> Still work at Ford...for now...check back
> tomorrow.

And there is a reason the guys driving WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY the helll over there MILES longer way up and around the big killer berms ON THE OUTSIDE of the turns were consistantly beat by guys who practiced practiced practiced really hard braking and finding a little rut around the INSIDE to rocket around.

Many times I was half way around a turn before the other guy had really initiated.

Matt, these days the seats are made to place you pretty well forward when you just sit down, pegs are in the right place, and EVERYBODY sticks their elbows up in some exagerated way (although moving the arms around into some of the overdone postures I see puzzles me as to what they are trying to accomplish, maybe just drying out their sweaty armpits, I don't know)
But whatever else remember, you must shift and maintain weight on the front wheel to make it grip, and if it doesn't grip, you can't turn.
Just like in the car.

Hey Matt, am I sending anything to you that I've forgortten about???

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
mothra
Matt Smith
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
xr4ti

October 12, 2006 04:47PM

I don't think so. I think we are square other than I need to send back your group A sierra rears. I am going to be at LSPR is there anyone there that I could give them to that is heading to Seattle?

I am anxiously waiting for alternator and PS brackets. I really want a rear beam but I need to know the cost first.

this years schedule has made bikes easier than cars. I need to get one of those hopped up 520's like Lurch. The KLR is a pig but its my pig.

Matt Smith

Lurch
Eric Burmeister
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:

October 12, 2006 05:04PM
john vanlandingham Wrote:
> But whatever else remember, you must shift and
> maintain weight on the front wheel to make it
> grip, and if it doesn't grip, you can't turn.
> Just like in the car.

That KLRPIG has a crappy seat for DIRT riding. I'd still take it hands down for touring around the country over my KTM tho. I got monkey butt so bad on a recent touring type thang with the honey that my eyes were watering...300 miles on a KTM tall racing seat sucks.

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y281/sirlurch/Traverse/

Anyway, there was a point to this post...oh yeah.

While you are up there on the tank, stick your outside knee into the radiator shroud as hard as you can.

Sooo...got all this?

You are standing on the pegs with knees bent, looking forward, not at your front fender. Brake thru the bumps while standing up, then sit down on the tank...basically you are rocking forward as you are sitting down, keeping your elbows up and 2 fingers on the clutch. Stick your outside knee into the radiator shroud hard, while putting your inside leg out for stability. Use whatever ruts or berms are there for traction. Even if a flat corner, you will surprise yourself how much better you can corner with your weight on the front wheel. Use the throttle and clutch (if necessary) together to apply as much power down as the grip will allow and accelerate out of the turn a gear higher than you could motor thru (debatable, but that's how I do it...but no, I'm not fast).

Enjoy.

Repeat.

When I was a kid, all we cared about was having fresher rear tires on our bikes. We would obliterate the knobs and then get a new rear. We totally neglected the front, cuz, even tho it was rounded, it still had some sort of knobs on it.

Later I realized that the front tire was the most important one.

Lurch
Eric Burmeister
sagsert
Mustafa Samli
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Gaylant VR4

October 12, 2006 08:50PM
Too bad very few TransAlps made it to US, Africa Twins and Super Teneres are even fewer, only a few resourceful bastards managed to get some here. Even now an 1989-1990 Transalp with million miles is bringing $5k. I owned many true enduro bikes, not one came anywhere near the comfort, reliability and performance of the TransAlp. After all I logged half a million miles on the same damn bike with a few spills but NO mechanical failures.

Cheers
M.Samli
Phoenix AZ
Gaylant VR4
EVO III GSR (Stolen)

Rallies are no place for traitors
mothra
Matt Smith
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
xr4ti

October 13, 2006 02:04PM

Yep, the seat is to wide to easily get over the tank. fortunately mine is slick from many miles of use which eases sliding around. while a pig the KLR is a great compromise. It does many different things very well.

hoping to try some things out this weekend. Thanks for the help.

Matt Smith

Anders Green
Anders Green
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Parked

November 30, 2006 10:09PM
RallyMoto is here!

http://sandblastrally.com/2007/

The entry form is up, $250 for bikes. See you in February. smiling smiley

The bike rules have been posted for months, but in case anyone missed them, they're here:
http://nasarallysport.com/rules.php

Cheers,
Anders

Grassroots rally. It's what I think about.
wvonkessler
Wilson von Kessler
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Colts are in Finland; now '87 325i, '89 325i

RallyMoto!!!
January 02, 2007 06:35PM
Gentlepeople:

This truly may change the face of our sport, allowing for larger fields, more interest, and reduced entry fees for events. I can tell you that Anders is thrilled that his event should break even or better. Anything that you can do to promote the effort would be greatly appreciated:

NASA RALLYMOTOâ„¢ REVVING UP FOR 2007

Sandblast Rally inaugural event for rally bike program

Cheraw, SC (January 2, 2007) – The word among the motorcycle community is beginning to buzz about the National Auto Sport Association’s (NASA) RallyMoto™ Program leading up to its inaugural event, the 2007 Sandblast Rally.

RallyMoto™, NASA’s brand of cross-country motorcycle rallying is to run in conjunction with selected events in 2007 in its well-established national automobile stage rally program. RallyMoto™ is similar to "Rally Raid," which is considered by many to be the toughest motorcycle sport in existence. In essence, the riders have to navigate around an extended course interspersed with timed, full speed sections called "special stages" or "special tests". The route between each special stage is known as a "liaison section" and is run at normal road speeds (several terms originate from French, as many of the International events, notably the Dakar Rally, are run by French organizations).

The Sandblast Rally, infamous for its vehicle swallowing sand on certain sections that has stranded more than one rally car in the past, promises to be a challenge for the bikes as well. “Sandblast is about the closest you can get to Dakar style racing in the Eastern United States,” stated Anders Green, organizer of the Sandblast event, “It’s got both deep sand and fast sections, and I guarantee that the bikers will be worn out after their 200 plus mile day on their machines.”

The RallyMoto™ portion of the event is already attracting significant interest, including the Team Max BMW team being led by Max Stratton running at least three BMW R1200 HP2s in the above 650 cc class, as well as Andrew Fekete on an Adventurer’s Workshop sponsored KTM, and Jim Goodlett on an ESSCAPE.com sponsored KTM LC4 640 Enduro. While shaping up to be a BMW versus KTM battle in the middle and large bore classes, the 250-450 cc class appears to be the province of Suzuki, with a pair of DR400s already slated for entry.

“We are looking forward to running the bikes,” continued Green, “It will be interesting how the event finishes out, as it is unclear which classes will have the best advantage given the conditions of the rally. However, any way you slice it, it will be a challenge for all the competitors, and surely will be a great start to what we envision will be a new, different and extreme series of events for the bike community as well as for the automobile rally community in the United States.”

More information on the Sandblast Rally, including a RallyMoto™ FAQ, can be found at www.sandblastrally.com. More information on NASA’s RallyMoto™ program, including rules, can be found at www.nasarallysport.com.

wilson@nasarallysport.com
(423) 265-2020

"Talk about drugs. Driving a car like that, going that fast, it’s like all the drugs at once." - Tommy Byrne

"Now, Pinky, if by any chance you are captured during this mission, remember you are Gunther Heindriksen from Appenzell. You moved to Grindelwald to drive the cog train to Murren. Can you repeat that?" - The Brain
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login