> Cheers
> M.Samli
> Phoenix AZ
> Gaylant VR4
> EVO II GSR
>
>
> Rallies are no place for traitors

"Talk about drugs. Driving a car like that, going that fast, it’s like all the drugs at once." - Tommy Byrne

"Now, Pinky, if by any chance you are captured during this mission, remember you are Gunther Heindriksen from Appenzell. You moved to Grindelwald to drive the cog train to Murren. Can you repeat that?" - The Brain
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Topi
Topi Hynynen
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
RWD Rollator GrF

Re: JVL!!!
March 10, 2007 06:38PM
- Same car behind:
http://www.imagestation.com/8241069/3932006036

- RWD rocks -
sagsert
Mustafa Samli
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Gaylant VR4

March 10, 2007 09:14PM
Nice ass !

Cheers
M.Samli
Phoenix AZ
Gaylant VR4
EVO III GSR (Stolen)

Rallies are no place for traitors
DR1665
Brian Driggs
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Keyboard. Deal with it.

March 10, 2007 09:21PM
Nice license plate!

<-- 311 fan. If there's any way I might be able to score the number 311 for my Galant one day, I'll be stoked. Heh. Tomorrow is 3-11.

PS - What does JVAB stand for? John Vanlandingham Action, Bitches!

Brian Driggs | KG7KCA | PHX, AZ | 89 Pajero
alterius non sit qui suus esse potest
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

March 11, 2007 06:50PM
While we're bugging JV, his old street car just ended up in Granimal's driveway today. Got a call yesterday from him saying he wanted to bring it over and get it ready to drive west. Since my parents were really sick of me having two heaps slowly rotting in their yard, I was more than happy to let somebody else store JV's car! Now I just have the "super secret extra spare" XR shell.

The day started in Camden, Maine with Rallyho, Brett, tedm and Lise and crew and plans to run Brett's 84 Saab 900, one of Mark Mason's 900 turbos, and Mike's brother-in-law's $80 Toiletta Crappy in a 3 hour ice race enduro. Unfortunately, the few gentle overnight showers predicted turned into an all night downpour, so the official race was cancelled. We were allowed to explore the pond, which had about 20" of ice under the six inches of water. After everybody got a years worth of rallycross seat time in the cars, the water was getting closer to a foot deep, so we loaded up and headed for home.

Hoping for some ice next year, we put Brett's mint 900 in Mark's yard with another several dozen Swedish cousins and headed south with an empty trailer. With all this extra time on our hands, I took the initiative to get the 96 to more motivated personnel. So I left the "I hope you're not mad at me, but here comes the car" message on Granimal's parent's answering machine and proceeded to ditch the car there.

We'll let the 96 eggspert see if it can handle the TransCanada Highway, the Alaska Highway and back to Sleazattle.

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2007 07:02PM by fiasco.
Attachments:
open | download - jvabsaab.jpg (34 KB)
jvabsaab.jpg
derek
Derek Bottles
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Past: 323, RX2, GTI. Next up M3 ?

March 14, 2007 06:58PM
I think I can explain it, John was a lot younger that is why he is sporting the stash and is skinnier.

In the long run reality always wins.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

March 14, 2007 07:52PM
Yeah, what the hell is with the backwards opening hood also?

I remember hearing or reading some praise about the Saab 96 and it's eggshell shape making it easy to roll back onto the wheels.

Grant Hughes
Graminal95
Graham Cullen
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
1973 Saab V4

March 15, 2007 06:30PM
Hej Andrew, sorry I didn't call you back about the 96, there is np with it at the house.

As of yesterday I replaced the brakes all around (discs, calipers, pads, one hose, up front and backing plates, wheel cylinders, springs, shoes, 2 hard lines, 1 hose in back) all adjusted and working great. Repacked bearing in drivers rear hub, replaces and fixed all lights, wire brushed fuse box, all new fuses (man unsealed euro fuses really go to shit fast) cleaned out the interior, new (plugs, wire cap, rotor, bluestreak points, fuel filter, engine oil), flushed tranny oil, and replaced the back half of the exhaust.

Next is fix a hold in the down pipe, weld some patches in the floor and inner fender, fix the pass rear shock mount, adjust the valves, put a few newer tires on, clean the air filter, put a JVAB rebuild tranny in, and drive her out to Alaska!!!!!!!!!!

Its been a busy few days, lots of work, but man I love these cars. This one is very fast too, I think 118hp in a 900kg car, YEEEEEEHAWWWWWWW. Plus it has a stitch welded body, and rally suspenders all around.
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

March 15, 2007 10:16PM
I'll try to stop by soon to see the progress. Great to have somebody who knows the cars and has a cache of parts work on them. Kind of like when I get motivated with Merkurs.

--Andrew

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
John Cassidy
John Cassidy
Senior Moderator

March 16, 2007 07:20AM
The LDR needs to know about mid-coast happenings! Half the team is down there! :-)

Cheers! John

http://www.lastditchracing.com
http://www.triplecaution.us
Pete
Pete Remner
Mod Moderator

March 16, 2007 11:25PM
NoCoast Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah, what the hell is with the backwards opening
> hood also?

Looks like the hook opens forwards to me.

Backwards is having the hinges at the rear, so that it is more difficult to get at the components typically laid out at the firewall.

Plus, with a forwards opening hood, you can have the hood unlatch and it stays down, maybe lift up an inch. (Drove 250 miles straight like this one very hot cooling-system0-challenged day, and suffered no overheating for a change)

With a backwards opening hood, if it comes unlatched, the air catches the hood and whips it back hard enough to break the wiper arms, crack the windshield, and make the hood conform to the windshield and roofline like when Bugs Bunny would take Elmer Fudd's rifle and bash him over the head with it. When it happens at 2am on the highway, it also serves to ensure the driver is WIDE awake.

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
sagsert
Mustafa Samli
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Gaylant VR4

March 17, 2007 02:35AM
Did you notice, everybody but JVL commented on this. I suspect there is a story behind that picture. Dammit John do tell us.

Cheers
M.Samli
Phoenix AZ
Gaylant VR4
EVO III GSR (Stolen)

john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

March 17, 2007 10:12AM
sagsert Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did you notice, everybody but JVL commented on
> this. I suspect there is a story behind that
> picture. Dammit John do tell us.
>
First, I ain't in the picture.
Its Perce niege 1996.
Temp was minus 40. Celsius and Fahrenheit.
You know I need lots of very strong black tea with milk an sugar to begin to move at normal temperatures, but minus 40 it was acute.
So weak was it that it was less hot than tap water. maybe piss-warm maybe.

I desperately tries some coffee. Weaker still if thats possible.
So needless to say I aint too alert for the first stage.
Then we wait for 35 minutes FREEZING in the car---I mean you can only wear so much before you cant move your arms, so we were underdressed.
That winter it had snowed over 100" in the Boston area and I had preactised a lot in snow.

The stages were polished sheet ice.
Dash thry the woods then out around some fields long 90 left approaching sos I pitch the car well sideways well before corner, and catch the vaguely defined perectly smooth snowbank on the inside expecting a little pooof, but in the sun it had melted/frozen a till it was CONCRETE, so we drove UP the pile, into or ONTO the field while flipping over on the side.
We had full stopped on co-drive Damaon's side, I look and cuss, then we tipped over onto the roof.

We rolled while stand still.

Some real Quebequois were 1/4 mile away and after pushing the car in big circles, in fact I could push the car with 1 hand(round roof, ice, slick easy to push), we managed after 20 minutes to right the car, checked the oil and off we went.
Later that stage while doing undulating bumps at about 75 next to to the very black, very fast flowing Ottawa River (no guard rail, no trees, just a tall embankment consisting of desk sized rocks 45 degree sloped and then the river)
we did a full 360 spin, and shortly after that met civilian a car coming head on.

Real snow tires worked shittier than shit on polished ice.

On the whole event there were two stages, and up and back turnaround stage following a lake front DEEP in the wooods that had SNOW on them and on those I could do OK, top 10 stage time.

But otherwise, yea gads.
The following week was Rally Quebec, and there the organiser greeted me with "John, we got out the Zambonis for you!!!"

They had had heavy snowfall right up to a couple of hours before the start, but they had enough pull or cred that cities and towns plowed all the stages except 5 done to the nice, shiney clear ICE.

Misery.
Guys I beat by 20-25 minutes at Maine summer the summer before were beating me.
No "Tractionized" tires.

Boo Hoo.

LOTS of cutie pies in Quebec.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
sagsert
Mustafa Samli
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Gaylant VR4

March 17, 2007 10:55AM
And now the mystery is no more.

Good story.

Cheers
M.Samli
Phoenix AZ
Gaylant VR4
EVO III GSR (Stolen)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login