Rally Chat
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

Does anybody know this car (Rally Saturn Ion)?

Posted by SeanP 
SeanP
Sean Lane
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
2000 Dodge Neon G2, bruised

Does anybody know this car (Rally Saturn Ion)?
September 06, 2012 01:16AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-Saturn-RedLine-Ion-5K-orig-miles-Rally-Race-Car-SEMA-show-car-/330789797493?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item4d049bbe75#ht_1233wt_1165

One owner California Car was built from a brand new (Zero miles) 2005 Saturn RedLine Ion. It was professionally built to promote the Saturn brand in various shows and Rally Race events in California. It was displayed at SEMA in 2005 and raced X Games in 2006. It was extremely competitive in the street legal 2 wheel drive class while winning most every race. The car was so competitive that it was beating many of the 4 wheel drive cars. Pretty soon the rules were changed and the car was no longer allowed to compete. The car has been stored since that time and has less than 4,700 miles since purchased new in 2005.

The car was legally registered and is currently titled in California. It is now in Milwaukee, WI and can be viewed most anytime.

The body is 100% original with original paint. The car was never crashed or damaged in any way whatsoever. There are a few small dings and rock chips. Mechanically, the drivetrain is in perfect working order. It is loud, fast and extremely tight. The car comes with 4 complete sets of wheels with good tires mounted. Two sets are for gravel and two sets are for tarmac. 4 brand new unmounted snow tires come with the car as well. All tires are Michelin.

The interior has been completely removed except for the dash and the front door panels. Power windows, locks and mirrors work perfectly. The A/C has been disconnected. All exterior factory lighting including brake lights and turn signals operate as new.

All emissions equipment remain intact including the cat. Due to the significant modifications to the brakes, elimination of the factory seat-belts and replacement of the factory steering wheel, the dummy lights on the dash light up like a Christmas tree.

You will not be disappointed. If you want to go rally racing, this is a ridiculously affordable way to do it. Put on your helmet and go.

Modifications:

· GM High Performance Stage 2 ECU and supercharger pulley

· Factory limited slip gearbox

· Centerforce clutch

· Stage 2 injectors

· Full roll cage tied to suspension

· Turning brake

· Proflex remote reservoir shocks w/rebuild kit

· Wilwood disc brakes at all 4 corners

· Recaro seats and mounts

· Simpson 6 point harnesses

· Momo Quick Release Steering wheel

· Terra Tip Rally computer

· K&N induction kit

· Magnaflow exhaust

· Hella HID lighting and housing

· Carbon Fiber hood

· Optima battery

· Aluminum engine/trans shield

· Misc. other stuff

The car currently has no graphics as represented by the photos of the car in Silver. This is exactly how the car looks today and how the car is being sold today. Photos of the car with graphics are from 2005 just before the car was shown at SEMA and do not represent how the car looks today. The car is being sold as a package with all extras. A clean California title and an Off-Road bill of sale will be provided to the first reasonable cash offer. This car is really for sale. I'm not just showing it off. I think the price is is pretty low already but I will not be offended by a real cash offer. I encourage anyone that is serious to ask me questions or come and see the car in person. Call or text me at (Three Zero Three)-478-93 two 0. I do have a day job and I also travel quite a bit so please leave a message and I will reply as quickly as possible.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Doivi Clarkinen
Banned
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
1980 Opel Ascona B

Re: Does anybody know this car (Rally Saturn Ion)?
September 06, 2012 04:20AM

It was displayed at SEMA in 2005 and raced X Games in 2006. It was extremely competitive in the street legal 2 wheel drive class while winning most every race. The car was so competitive that it was beating many of the 4 wheel drive cars. Pretty soon the rules were changed and the car was no longer allowed to compete.

Wow, what a load of B.S. When did this compete in anything anywhere? A rallycross (as in cone squashing on dirt) somewhere? Certainly not at X Games in 2006. Here are the results from the 2006 X Games. I don't see any Saturn listed there. Certainly not in any real rally events, the roll cage does not look to be rally legal from what I can see. This was just a SEMA show car, and not a very good one at that.
Brian Johnson
Brian Johnson
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Co-Driver - Old School Motorsports WRX

September 06, 2012 05:56AM
It was the 0 car at X Games in '06, but has done nothing else, to my knowledge. I wouldn't touch that car with a ten foot pole.

-Brian
Anders Green
Anders Green
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Parked

September 06, 2012 09:03AM
Dude, come on, it was beating AWD cars till they changed the rules and shut it out!

winking smiley

Grassroots rally. It's what I think about.
heymagic
Banned
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

September 06, 2012 09:04AM
Email sent inquiring about log book....
phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

September 06, 2012 09:29AM
Here is my guess on the response. "Yes I have a log book, I always track my fuel mileage and oil changes"
fliz
Chad Eixenberger
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1988 VW Golf #687

September 06, 2012 09:34AM
It ran a rallyx at Chilton, WI with WAG. I sent an email to Dave Parps to see if he had a chance to look at the car / talk to the owner when it was up there.
gagegregory
Gage Gregory
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
1996 Eagle Talon Tsi

September 06, 2012 09:52AM
Whats up with that funky ass main hoop????? I didn't know you could bend the sealt belt bar like and "S" . Looks like that wouldn't hold up too good on a side impact. Would the door bars pass tech anywhere. I wouldn't own a saturn if you gave me the thing!!eye rolling smiley
heymagic
Banned
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

September 06, 2012 09:53AM
Seems like there was a Saturn Vue ??or some such SUV a few years ago floating around in 'rally' trim?? Another show car, just can't remember the details...where's my memory?? Dave!!!
wvonkessler
Wilson von Kessler
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Colts are in Finland; now '87 325i, '89 325i

September 06, 2012 10:05AM
Nice shiftknob!

Why would you not paint the cage on a showcar?

Here's some pics of the Vue: http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/showgallery.php/cat/632

"Talk about drugs. Driving a car like that, going that fast, it’s like all the drugs at once." - Tommy Byrne

"Now, Pinky, if by any chance you are captured during this mission, remember you are Gunther Heindriksen from Appenzell. You moved to Grindelwald to drive the cog train to Murren. Can you repeat that?" - The Brain
heymagic
Banned
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

September 06, 2012 10:12AM
Unpainted cage in both cars, similar door bars, bet it was the same builder.

Gage...seat belt bar is allowed, you don't actually have to have one in the main hoop. Door bars look compliant also. Not sayin that is how to do it....should be a shoe-in for Pikes Peak tho. It might be too fast ...

Remember those cars usually are surrounded by gold braided rope and a sign that says 'keep your fat ass off the fenders' .
gagegregory
Gage Gregory
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
1996 Eagle Talon Tsi

September 06, 2012 10:17AM
Lol...I wonder if those cars are made out of plastic like the older ones... I can just see that thing hitting a bank or tree at speed.. It would be a plastic bomb!
heymagic
Banned
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

September 06, 2012 10:32AM
Plastic sounds so cheap...composite...that's it. Yes they are, we have one sitting outside that smacked a deer and the fender is cracked.
Houdini91
Tyler Estes
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
My PC.

September 06, 2012 10:40AM
I think my autotragic Ford Taurus station wagon would make a better rally car. drinking smiley

Okay not really, but almost.

Something about something....dirt.
BillyElliot
Billy Elliot Mann
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1996 Honda Civic with VTEC YO!

September 06, 2012 11:51AM
The KIA guy should sell his car and buy this one instead. At least this one has a cage...

What suspension setup does a Saturn have? Might be worth it to buy the car just for the Proflex and scrap the rest.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login