Posted by Administrator 
323GTXAWD
Ron Versluis
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
none

Re: The Rally Photos Thread
October 09, 2014 06:11PM
A recent pic or two from the Pacific Forest 2014....
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_0159.JPG (45 KB)
IMG_0159.JPG
open | download - IMG_0172.JPG (83.9 KB)
IMG_0172.JPG
open | download - IMG_0178.JPG (89.3 KB)
IMG_0178.JPG
open | download - IMG_0200.JPG (77.2 KB)
IMG_0200.JPG
brakim
Matt Brandenburg
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW M3

October 09, 2014 06:15PM
Pics attached Prescott Rally 2014

BRAKIM EVENT HIGHLIGHT VIDEO:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2014 06:22PM by brakim.
Attachments:
open | download - night-shot.jpg (21.3 KB)
night-shot.jpg
open | download - canyon-out.jpg (49.4 KB)
canyon-out.jpg
open | download - ralanarch.png (528.7 KB)
ralanarch.png
Skye
Skye Nott
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Xratty

October 09, 2014 06:37PM
Dave Clarkinen at PFR

www.rallyrace.net
Attachments:
open | download - Dave_Clark_XR4Ti_PFR_2014.jpg (110.8 KB)
Dave_Clark_XR4Ti_PFR_2014.jpg
DG_Rally
Dave Grenwis
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
'92 VW Golf

October 24, 2014 11:16AM
A couple shots of us at LSPR 2014:

Dave Grenwis - DG Rally - www.dgrally.com
Attachments:
open | download - LSPR 2014.JPG (52.9 KB)
LSPR 2014.JPG
open | download - LSPR-2014-DGRally-VW.JPG (55.7 KB)
LSPR-2014-DGRally-VW.JPG
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 24, 2014 02:26PM
Older Lake Superior..WATER!

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Mad Matt F
Matt Follett
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Don't Laugh, the Justy is Fun!

October 29, 2014 10:39PM
Jari!

Oh my the Lada... They came to Canada, my parents had one. I loved that car (I was 10). All the kids at school teased me, but I thought it was the bomb.

I should FB that pic to all my highschool friends. Wait, I don't face book.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2014 08:18AM by Mad Matt F.
Mr. K
Chris Krepski
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 VW Golf, 8V of fury!

November 12, 2014 10:14AM
Hi Matt,

If you poke around old MLRC Rallycross pics, I've seen some of a Lada sedan that looked very period correct. Perhaps it's a real VFTS or a damn good replica? Wikipedia says one was shipped to Canada in 1981, reliable source I know :-p

I kinda have a soft spot for them too. Spent some time as a passenger in a FIAT 125 as a kid, it's roughly the same car.
bttmotorsport
Jari Hamalainen
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Opel Monza, Chevy Monza to be finished 2012, BMW 318 iS

November 12, 2014 10:34AM
Nice car but definately not original Vfts, as arent 99.99% of the Ladas out there. Vfts was made in Vilnius, Lithuania by ex. Soviet factory driver Stasys Brundza. 30 cars were exported from the factory, exact number of home market production numbers aren´t available.
It was even homologated to grB as VFTS, not Lada.
Here´s few original cars, although some of those might also be made in Togliatti, not Vilnius:

john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

December 09, 2014 09:16PM
Don't try this at home. Professional Draifers on Closed Kurs:

Volvos are awesome

Be there or be SQUARE

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
wildert
Brian Klausen
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
VW Golf GTi 16V

December 10, 2014 08:07AM
How did I miss this thread? Time to whore me and my car!

From 2013 - the finals of the Danish Championship - our first time at a national event. Utter catastrophe in terms of the actual result, but given the circumstances we were stoked.
Started out by blowing up a tire on SS1 due to a rear brake locking up. Managed a quick fix repair just in time, limped through SS2, and then we had dropped far down.
Put the car together at service, and put it into parc ferme for the night, to continue the next day. Here we developed serious transmission and clutch problems, which haunted us the rest of the day. But we finished! In our debut national event - that was great!

One of my favorite pictures of all times:

That was our last event of 2013, so we get into 2014, where we started a bit late. I had a transmission to fix, and that took a fair while. But before I could do that, I had to redo the entire ceiling in my garage. That was delayed quite a bit by my mom being hospitalized for 3 months straight, due to cancer (which she recovered from - again - despite having Parkinsons disease as well - I totally love my genes... not...).

So, we did a few events over the summer - one did cost me an engine - no fun. But the next picture is from a "mini rally" (short one-day event we have in Denmark) in the late summer.
Everything went like clockwork at this event. I can't be bothered to check the standings, but it was a good event!

Then we participated in a sprint - that blew immensely. We managed two heats. The first the car handled like utter s**t - I had completely misjuged the tire pressure.
Second heat it went pretty well - until the CV-joint stub axle on the left came loose, and totally destroyed the wheel bearing and the hub. DNF - hrumpf...

A bit of video from the out side, from when it was still going. We first appear @ 7-or-so minutes:

Then we participated in another mini rally. This went ok-ish. I was totally busted from lack of sleep for days, tracing a cut-out problem due to a faulty sensor. Had to get up pretty early, went for recce, etc., then a pretty long wait since our class is at the end of the pack. When we finally came to the start of SS1, a team had gone of pretty severely, and the stage was paused for more than 30 minutes. Just what I did NOT need - I had serious problems with getting into the groove to begin with, and now a 30 minute wait - I never really got started, and SS1 had several small cock ups - but nothing fatal.
The video is from SS2. At 0:52-ish we have an "Uhuhhhh"-moment going across a crest.
The skid marks that can be seen is from a guy in our class, that went a bit too fast and spun exactly 180 degrees, ending up going 70-ish mph backwards. Somehow they stayed on the road, got the car turned around and continued to go on an win the class.

The last event of the year was the finals of the Danish National Championship.
We were late for the starte of recce, so we had to skip SS3. SS1 to 5 were night stages, so obviously pace notes were important. SS3 was a sprint like stage, and we had a sketch of the area, so we figured we'd do notes from the sketch as best we could, wing it for the first lap, and then take it from there.
It turned out ok-ish - but boy was it dark. Just starting out on lap 2 we got overtaken, and I decided just to "hook on" to him - that worked well - pace was much better for the remaining 3 laps smiling smiley.
Other than that, the event went pretty good - 24th OA in the absolutely cheapest car of the event. No service crew - just me and my navi - and no service van - just the stationwagon I have for a DD. It can be done smiling smiley.
Video is from one of the later stages (17 out of 21 in total) that has a bit of gravel in it.

Brgrds
Brian

BobOfTheFuture
Rob
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
None, anymore.

December 26, 2014 11:01AM
wildert,

Had a good time reading your stories and watching the videos. Thanks!

Enablers, All of you.
Anders Green
Anders Green
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Parked

December 28, 2014 09:22AM
wildert
Then we participated in another mini rally. This went ok-ish. I was totally busted from lack of sleep for days, tracing a cut-out problem due to a faulty sensor. Had to get up pretty early, went for recce, etc., then a pretty long wait since our class is at the end of the pack. When we finally came to the start of SS1, a team had gone of pretty severely, and the stage was paused for more than 30 minutes.

How are the start orders decided over there? Is there a ranking of classes that is always used? How many cars were entered in this rally? Do all the rallies use the same method of determining the start order?

smiling smiley

Anders

Grassroots rally. It's what I think about.
wildert
Brian Klausen
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
VW Golf GTi 16V

December 28, 2014 04:48PM
Anders Green
wildert
Then we participated in another mini rally. This went ok-ish. I was totally busted from lack of sleep for days, tracing a cut-out problem due to a faulty sensor. Had to get up pretty early, went for recce, etc., then a pretty long wait since our class is at the end of the pack. When we finally came to the start of SS1, a team had gone of pretty severely, and the stage was paused for more than 30 minutes.

How are the start orders decided over there? Is there a ranking of classes that is always used? How many cars were entered in this rally? Do all the rallies use the same method of determining the start order?

smiling smiley

Anders

Quite a few questions smiling smiley.

Basically the answer is: it depends - on the event and/or series that the event may or may not be a part of.

In the event in question, they always use the same ranking of classes. So classes run together, and they always start in the same order.

It should be said that for a minirally (as this was), no single stage is allowed to be longer than about 4.5 miles when it is a "through stage" (does that make sense?), and no longer than about 6.5 miles when using a circuit design (i.e. like a sprint course where you do 2-4 laps on the same piece of road, and then often have half a mile or so run off to the goal line.
Those fairly short distances mean that it is unlikely to get a difference of more than 1 minute on any given stage, within a class.
The classes are ordered by some theoretical pace that the regulations for that class should be able to offer, but obviously there are "anomalies", though rarely something that would warrant someone in class 1 to need to start in class 6 pace-wise.

Minirallies generally see around 50-70 participants in Denmark. The event in question is part of 4-part championship/series, that is very well organised, and very popular, and thus typically sees more like 60-70 participants.

For the national events, we see as little as 25-30 participants (a new low at one event this year), up to around 50. We are in a bit of a slump these years - unfortunately.

The national events use a seeding system, where your pace relative to other participants is calculated based on the last x number of events. I think they go back 2-3 events or so. They have a relatively advanced spreadsheet for that.
If you haven't participated in the last 2-3 events, you will be placed somewhere in the pack on a judgement call based on car, if someone knows about your skill as a driver, etc. Pretty loose basis.

Since there is no limit on the length of the individual stages in national rally, the seeding gets important obviously.

Then we have a number of sprints, and they tend to just make a judgement call based on car and if the organizer knows about previous merits.
It doesn't really matter though, course you are not required to show up at the starting line in a particular order - just whenever it suits you. It will be frowned upon to show up first for the first heat in a slow car though, so it's usually no problem.
This is in a very relaxed series, that is made for the drivers only. No spectators, just a bit of fun, though competition is fierce, and the championship is pretty prestigous after all is said and done.

I know of one rallysprint that does it differently. In previous years they did a starting order for the first heat, from judgement call based on car and experience. But the starting order for the second heat, was the reverse of the over all standing after heat 1. Starting order for heat 3 was the reverse of the over all standing after heat 2, and so on for heat 4 as well. This way no one knows who won, until the very last car has crossed the finish line. Keeps the spectators excited.
This year they changed it a bit, because their judgement calls were a bit... off smiling smiley. So they introduced a timing lap before heat 1. This then determined the starting order, and then from there on it was the reverse of the over all standing after the previous heat.
At this race you are required to keep an eye on your place in the standings, and show up a bit early. Then the officials will keep the order.

Brgrds
Brian

Ascona73
Bob Legere
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1971 Opel Ascona

April 20, 2015 12:26PM
Vintage rallying, circa 1995 at MFR. The day I met JVL in person.

Opel is a 4-letter word...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10498579@N07/sets/
Attachments:
open | download - image.jpg (46.4 KB)
image.jpg
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

May 07, 2015 12:43AM
Nice snippet...seems to go pretty good...

Odd the strange opinion so many ex-spurts have about this car..
One idiot said "No forward grip...only reason they did anything is because of their extrememly powerful engine.."
Now that's logic.

Screw 'em...last RWD car in WRC to do anything...and 2nd and 3rd on Thousand Lakes or WRC Finland to you young 'uns is pretty damn good.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login