Scott Creech
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Audi 90 Quattro (WIP)

Re: The Rally Photos Thread
February 10, 2014 02:57AM
Eric Ewert
Thought this was hilarious to watch so figured id share it

I am unsure I catch the hilarity (or the point of the video) - guy beats on a Volvo mercilessly in a gravel pit, while 82 of his closest, personal friends look on?

Now, not that I don't kinda-sorta wish I had the resources to do so, but such is my lot.

Parfois, on fait pas semblant!

I am:
I know:
I am from:

Nobody.
Nothing.
Nowhere.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

February 10, 2014 10:45AM
Creech
Eric Ewert

I am unsure I catch the hilarity (or the point of the video) - guy beats on a Volvo mercilessly in a gravel pit, while 82 of his closest, personal friends look on?

Now, not that I don't kinda-sorta wish I had the resources to do so, but such is my lot.

Well I thought it was great. The point is that we can build something here that will do that---if we are any good at driving---and Eric, and Ken in Alberta, Justin in MO, Pat in OR, Arno in Seattle ARE building things like that---as Ian in MI already has..

The good driving is just a GOAL, a car and some good driving to shoot for.
We have to have something to aim for.... and that is something attainable and attainable at far lower cost than anything else.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Eric Ewert
Eric Ewert
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 240

February 10, 2014 12:31PM
Creech
Eric Ewert

Well first of all I liked this video because it shows longer segments of several corners strung together as opposed to most rally vids which are usually 3-5 second clips, its a nice change. Second yes he (or she?) is pounding the living shit outa this thing but there not exactly slow, and the car seems to be set up well by my untrained eye. To me there is something to be taken away between these two things. Finally in regards to humor... coming that close to rolling the bugger and simply shrugging it off... I find it comical. But hey i've been called strange before.

But what, in my opinion is the most important thing to take away from this video is in the title. It translates to "Thursday Rally 2011 HÃ¥kan Lindh Rally Show" according to google translate. In other words this is probably some sorta event mid week for fun and practice. I doubt he was the only car out there and I doubt that it was an expensive event. Just a great way to hone ones skills.

What do we lack in north america? I don't know about you guys in america but here in calgary alberta we have roughly half a dozen ice racing events, if were lucky we will have rallyx come back soonish and not much after that. I think there is some events about 3 hours north of us in edmonton rallyx wise and thats about it. Now, i'm very grateful for these events but practice is the key to doing well at anything and in my opinion, it would be ideal to have more of it on our side of the planet.
Skye
Skye Nott
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Xratty

February 10, 2014 03:15PM
Ari Vatanen - 1000 Lakes Finland 1992 - Subaru Legacy RS

Some nice build photos....

www.rallyrace.net
Attachments:
open | download - ari-vatanen-subaru-1992-1.jpg (42 KB)
ari-vatanen-subaru-1992-1.jpg
open | download - ari-vatanen-subaru-1992-2.jpg (44.4 KB)
ari-vatanen-subaru-1992-2.jpg
open | download - ari-vatanen-subaru-1992-3.jpg (34 KB)
ari-vatanen-subaru-1992-3.jpg
open | download - ari-vatanen-subaru-1992-4.jpg (63.9 KB)
ari-vatanen-subaru-1992-4.jpg
Skye
Skye Nott
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Xratty

February 10, 2014 03:16PM
Ari Vatanen - 1000 Lakes Finland 1992 - Subaru Legacy RS

Build photos continued, this is the good stuff.

Check out the ridiculous roof vent tho

www.rallyrace.net
Attachments:
open | download - ari-vatanen-subaru-1992-5.jpg (48.4 KB)
ari-vatanen-subaru-1992-5.jpg
open | download - ari-vatanen-subaru-1992-6.jpg (42.9 KB)
ari-vatanen-subaru-1992-6.jpg
open | download - ari-vatanen-subaru-1992-7.jpg (27.5 KB)
ari-vatanen-subaru-1992-7.jpg
open | download - ari-vatanen-subaru-1992-8.jpg (34.6 KB)
ari-vatanen-subaru-1992-8.jpg
alkun
Albert Kun
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

February 10, 2014 08:20PM
super trick roof vent is super trick!

I really dig the level of technology in that car, especially the two oil filled gauges to the left of the center console. Amazing how top level cars advanced from this era to ten years later, like going from fokker triplane to space shuttle in a decade.
slidewayswrx
Patrick Darrow
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Swedish John Deere

February 10, 2014 08:54PM
alkun

I really dig the two oil filled gauges to the LEFTof the center console.

And I codrive for this nut??? Oi. Do we need to go over this again?

Zap zap my ass...
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

With apologies to the series :" Why We Fight"
February 10, 2014 08:55PM
Why we do this---and not some econo-shit-box-POS-poxy-FWD microcar
From an ordinary guy in Lithuania--it ain't even rally but the piccies are great.

Try that is a Festiva.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2014 11:29PM by Administrator.
Attachments:
open | download - 739846_537828802907651_512476798_o.jpg (22.3 KB)
739846_537828802907651_512476798_o.jpg
open | download - 705220_537828836240981_928415882_o.jpg (21.8 KB)
705220_537828836240981_928415882_o.jpg
open | download - 703922_537828892907642_435345528_o.jpg (19.1 KB)
703922_537828892907642_435345528_o.jpg
open | download - 703865_537828922907639_980734175_o.jpg (16 KB)
703865_537828922907639_980734175_o.jpg
open | download - 415930_387251391298727_898755739_o.jpg (35.6 KB)
415930_387251391298727_898755739_o.jpg
open | download - 464854_387250037965529_1128033259_o.jpg (61.4 KB)
464854_387250037965529_1128033259_o.jpg
alkun
Albert Kun
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

February 10, 2014 10:00PM
slidewayswrx
alkun

I really dig the two oil filled gauges to the LEFTof the center console.

And I codrive for this nut??? Oi. Do we need to go over this again?

Heh! the other left.
Administrator
Pasta-Based Diety
Mod Moderator

Re: With apologies to the series :" Why We Fight"
February 10, 2014 11:30PM
Oiii John attach the photos instead of linking, so the photos get resized and we can actually see them without half the photo hanging off the right side of the screen you brute.

I've changed it for you.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: With apologies to the series :" Why We Fight"
February 10, 2014 11:56PM
Administrator
Oiii John attach the photos instead of linking, so the photos get resized and we can actually see them without half the photo hanging off the right side of the screen you brute.

I've changed it for you.

Oi Skye, der yas goes usin dem big words--attach---ya mean "copy imagine location" then come here and use the icon thing up ^ there?

Be nice now, I'm older than your dad.

See That guys photos were soooosweet I quoted him in a TBOT thread and say "You win...The I "edit" that, copy and past whole shebang..

That bad?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Creech
Scott Creech
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Audi 90 Quattro (WIP)

February 11, 2014 03:04AM
john vanlandingham
Creech
Eric Ewert

Well I thought it was great. The point is that we can build something here that will do that---if we are any good at driving---and Eric, and Ken in Alberta, Justin in MO, Pat in OR, Arno in Seattle ARE building things like that---as Ian in MI already has..

The good driving is just a GOAL, a car and some good driving to shoot for.
We have to have something to aim for.... and that is something attainable and attainable at far lower cost than anything else.

I did not say I didn't like the video - just did not see anything hilarious about it. Smackin' it off gravel-piles and (presumably) some trees to dent-match the other side seems pointless. 'Specially with such a nice example-car. Unless you're just tryin' to figure-out how to keep from doin' that.

I have to give the Volvo props though: it took everything he dished-out, without complaint. (farkin' thing is a Timex in an early-'80s commercial: complete with Gorillas and Great White Sharks!)

Note I wished at the end of my last post that I had the resources to do this (well-prepped car and gravel-pit to practice/play with it in).

I will admit it: my driving SUCKS. Dude could drive circles around me, flicking boogers and giving me the two-finger-salute. But I WANT to get BETTER, but even I know without practice that's not gonna happen. No matter how many YouBoob videos I watch....

I am:
I know:
I am from:

Nobody.
Nothing.
Nowhere.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2014 04:05AM by Creech.
modernbeat
Jason McDaniel
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1963 SAAB Historic, 1995 Impreza Open Light totaled at WRC Mexico, 2005 STi Pikes Peak winner

February 11, 2014 08:06AM
Creech
...Note I wished at the end of my last post that I had the resources to do this (well-prepped car and gravel-pit to practice/play with it in).

I will admit it: my driving SUCKS. Dude could drive circles around me, flicking boogers and giving me the two-finger-salute. But I WANT to get BETTER, but even I know without practice that's not gonna happen. No matter how many YouBoob videos I watch....

If you and 100 other people I hear say this really wanted that, you could make it happen. I suspect that you don't really want it, or don't want to give up other things to have it. Important things like TV shows. Otherwise you'd have 14 acres with a track carved out on it and a few beaters to practice and a rally car you built yourself.

Jason McDaniel

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2014 08:07AM by modernbeat.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

February 11, 2014 09:19AM
modernbeat
Creech
...Note I wished at the end of my last post that I had the resources to do this (well-prepped car and gravel-pit to practice/play with it in).

If you and 100 other people I hear say this really wanted that, you could make it happen. I suspect that you don't really want it, or don't want to give up other things to have it. Important things like TV shows. Otherwise you'd have 14 acres with a track carved out on it and a few beaters to practice and a rally car you built yourself.

Youse gonna get people calling you "old" and "bitter" and "ever thang y'all knows is irrelevant" if you go round talking like that....
It is every 'Merikun's God Given Right to pretty much have everything they want instantly.
Why some real brillaint "Producer" said once " 'merikuh was founded an Capitalist principals....consumption is your right."

A guy 28 wants a ski boat and a 108" flat scree Tee Bee, a 09 Subbie turbo , a crotch rocket, and decides he wants a rally car. He should have a rally car without having to make any s=choices.
Simple as that.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Creech
Scott Creech
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Audi 90 Quattro (WIP)

February 11, 2014 09:43AM
modernbeat
Creech

Who has time for TV? This "TV" I'm typing on is my giant-ass-computer-screen. USED to be my movie screen, but it's been probably a year or more since I had more than 15-minutes or so to bang out a response, let alone watch something.

And if you saw the number of Beaters around my place.....

TIME. I doesn't haz it. 14-16 hr workdays (salaried), of late 7-days a week.

BUT, my shitpile of a place is nearly paid-off (THIS YEAR! HAHA! - 16 years early!), I owe on one car, a few things here & there. I have enough in the bank that, if I lost my job at the end of the month, I would not have to worry 'til the end of the year.... (pssst. I'm losing my job at the end of the month),

All my other "liquid assets" are Invested and unreachable. Substantial Penalty for early withdrawel, and all that.

All on one income. (The Wife is Disabled with MS and 100% blind in her left eye).

We still get to do peripheral things, like volunteer at Rallys and run RallyX, and occasional AutoX (she is actually quite a remarkable driver, considering her handicap - 2X Divisonal Champ). But at the moment, with no time to do anything to it, the car I bought to Rally is merely an "inclement weather driver". And at the end of the month, if I have not located another source of income - it would be more than a bit foolish to use that time to throw money at a gaddam Rallycar.

I am not some fucking kid that truly has no idea what kind of commitment Rally requires. I turn 43 this year, and have been nearly 20 years with my current employer, and with my Wife longer than that.

But thanks for the tips.

I am:
I know:
I am from:

Nobody.
Nothing.
Nowhere.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login