Posted by Abnormalradio13 
ChrisKobi
Chris Kobayashi
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
2000 ford focus zx3

Re: New svt focus rally builder
March 21, 2014 09:05AM
Yeah it must have been the Kaaz then. It was like 1500.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Abnormalradio13
Anthony cuthbert
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
03 svt focus

March 21, 2014 09:56AM
i've seen a kazz for 900 for my car. but anyway, i got the car up on the hoist today at school and the undercarriage is covered in rust but still in decent shape. noticed the engine towards the passenger side is covered in oil (yay me :-/) and also one of the springs have cracked and another is about to go so i know i'd have to get them replaced asap because michigan roads aren't friendly to cars. plus with all the work i have to put into it just to get it in running shape, i may as well junk it and buy another one that's in better shape and also a zx3. idk what my brother was thinking when he bought this car lol

One of the very few black guys trying to racing all over the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lightfoot
Keith Lightfoot
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Focus SVT & 1992 DSM Laser RS AWD Turbo Revolution

March 21, 2014 10:40AM
Chris, the T-2 fits both the MTX-75 and the 6-spd SVT Getrag transmissions but it looks like there are different part numbers for each application. Not sure if the units are interchangeable between both types.
Abnormalradio13
Anthony cuthbert
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
03 svt focus

March 21, 2014 12:40PM
so there seems to be a lot more work that needs to be done. i may just put the clutch on it and trade it for a more well around better one

One of the very few black guys trying to racing all over the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_1850.jpg (43.2 KB)
IMG_1850.jpg
open | download - IMG_1857.jpg (37.8 KB)
IMG_1857.jpg
RALLYRS
Mike Ball
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Nope...I wish...RWD 2 Door Jeep XJ 4.0 5-spd Dirt-o-cross car(we have no grass!)2.3 ZX3 rallyx car(sold)

March 21, 2014 01:26PM
If you are selling this car and plan to buy another Focus to prep, buy a duratec powered one.

All 2005 (and some 2003 and 2004)and newer are duratec powered.
This will get you a lighter engine that responds very well to naturally aspirated and forced induction mods.

Also gets you the robust Mtx-75 trans, which you can buy the 4.75 final drive and close ratio set from mfactory for.

http://www.teammfactory.com/final-drive-gears_61
http://www.teammfactory.com/close-ratio-gears_6

Also ,better for gravel than the Quaife or Torsen is a plated diff.

Mfactory has a plated diff-
http://www.teammfactory.com/metal-plate-lsd_258

Or the's the Gripper diff from the U.K.-

http://www.davemacprops.com/dmpgripperapplications.html

or the already mentioned Kaaz-

http://www.kaazonline.com/dbd2010superq.html

................................................. .....................

Support your Local North American Rally Forum!!

While they are still around-and get the hell off Farsebook!!

We still have Specialstage & RallyAnarchy.

Post up Here:

https://rallyanarchy.com/phorum/posting.php

and here:

https://www.specialstage.com/forums/forum.php
Andrew_Frick
Andrew Frick
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Rally Spec Ford Focus

March 21, 2014 01:32PM
Look at that rocker panel. Run away for a stage rally car. I would daily drive it / rally x it to death or just sell it and use the money for something else. Plus that is the 5-door SVT which is probably the most rare focus made in the US. So finding doors or other things if you had a off as rally car would be very hard.

If you want to do a focus you need to buy one in the south were it has not rusted. Let me know if you want help looking.

If you are going to junk it and want to build a rally focus. Strip all of the brakes, hoses cables, and spindles/ knuckles off of it to use as a brake upgrade.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2014 01:34PM by Andrew_Frick.
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

March 21, 2014 06:11PM
I can tell you from experience with a 2000 ZX3, before even thinking about that gaping hole of a rocker panel; that car NEEDS front and rear subframes and control arms, rear blades/arms/whatever.

My dad's ZX3 looked way better than that and the front control arm collapsed on the highway at 50 mph, having rotted from the inside out. His car DID see a lot of cone-squishing on asphalt, but the rust bug is not kind to the Focus. Had to replace the rear subframe the previous year due to rust (it was crumbling and failed inspection).

Don't mean to sound harsh, but I'd drive that thing like a rental until it broke and then sell it for scrap.

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
Abnormalradio13
Anthony cuthbert
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
03 svt focus

March 21, 2014 10:14PM
I'm just going to sell it. With all the money I have to put in just for it to be safely driven, I can just buy another one but with lack of space in yard and family issues, I'll sell it for now and when I move this summer, I'll grab another one. I'm gonna build a rally car but it just won't be now. Plus who knows, I may find a deal somewhere else on another car

fiasco
Andrew Steere
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

March 21, 2014 10:40PM
There you go. Sell it off, find something simple like a Volvo 240 or even those flimsy-floppy Fox Moostangs and start there. Really the Volvo is probably smartest, but you ARE in Detroit.

Then again, if you LIKE Front Drive, well, I don't know what you should do. The last good Saab was made 35 years ago. smiling smiley

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
Fclevelandwrx
Foard Cleveland
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
2001 ZX3

April 01, 2014 07:51PM
I wouldn't build a focus… ever. Maybe when they were all being run but not now, I would have thought Andrew would have had something to say about this as well, but they just aren't good cars to build. Every part you need to be competitive in rally is expensive and not very easy to find. Sell it and buy something that has popularity on the field. And if it's not something that's going to happen soon you should volunteer and attend some rallies to see what it's really like!

Foard Cleveland
Blue Branch Rally Team
http://www.performancefriction.com
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Mega Moderator

April 01, 2014 08:56PM
I would rally a focus in a heart beat. Parts are cheaper, and they're more durable then a VW once you spend some time on them (that's anytime actually). My focus was beat by me in my HS days and lived to 250k miles before it was stolen.
RALLYRS
Mike Ball
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Nope...I wish...RWD 2 Door Jeep XJ 4.0 5-spd Dirt-o-cross car(we have no grass!)2.3 ZX3 rallyx car(sold)

April 02, 2014 12:09AM
Fclevelandwrx
I wouldn't build a focus… ever. Maybe when they were all being run but not now, I would have thought Andrew would have had something to say about this as well, but they just aren't good cars to build. Every part you need to be competitive in rally is expensive and not very easy to find. Sell it and buy something that has popularity on the field. And if it's not something that's going to happen soon you should volunteer and attend some rallies to see what it's really like!

I thought you already bought a prepped rally focus?

Post up Here:

and here:

john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

April 02, 2014 12:18AM
Robert Culbertson
I would rally a focus in a heart beat. Parts are cheaper, and they're more durable then a VW once you spend some time on them (that's anytime actually). My focus was beat by me in my HS days and lived to 250k miles before it was stolen.

Which parts? Stock road car junk? You priced what any fun bits cost?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
RALLYRS
Mike Ball
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:

April 02, 2014 12:26AM
And the parts you need to buy to make a Focus competitive aren't any more pricy than any other fwd.

The driveline parts I mentioned a few posts above for gearing and traction-not junkyard pricing-but not insane.

Getting a duratec so you have some torque and even ok hp with some bolt-ons-200hp is easy.

Johns suspenders-cost around the same as other cars.

Ok..you may want to beef up the cheesey rear suspension pieces but would you leave everything in the back of a golf(or whatever) bone-stock?

The shells are decently strong.

I don't like cramped cars-
Another thing I like about the car is it has room inside.
Of course,I'm 6'5" and 300 lbs,so ymmv!

And I'm with Robert-I beat on mine like a 16 year old every day(and do deliveries in it and beat on it in the dirt whenever possible)and the thing just keeps on going....

It actually loves abuse I think.
This may not mean much to some but the drivetrain,wiring, and chassis sure seem to be sorted..

Post up Here:

and here:

Fclevelandwrx
Foard Cleveland
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
2001 ZX3

April 02, 2014 07:31AM
RALLYRS
Fclevelandwrx

I thought you already bought a prepped rally focus?

Yes I have a prepped focus the point being it was already prepared, and even with that it is still very expensive and hard to find performance parts.
The shell is not very good because it is so thin… I have to weld a bar under the floor of my car to pass tech at my next rally.
To run a focus generally you want the mtx75 and the diffs and final drive gears are very expensive.
I don't run a duratec but most people running these cars have the zetec or svt anyhow and the swap is generally a pain in the ass.

+1 Point for John seeing as I'll be getting my jvab super suspension within the next 2 weeks! hot smiley

Don't get me wrong I love my focus but even talking to other people who race them they'll tell you not to do it if you ask them to be honest, even the guy who built my car told me he wishes he'd built an early impreza or evo.

Foard Cleveland
Blue Branch Rally Team
http://www.performancefriction.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login