Off Topic
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

Peacock 100k race report... For the runners on here!

Posted by frumby 
frumby
Jason Hynd
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
XR4TI a slow build!

Peacock 100k race report... For the runners on here!
October 25, 2014 05:51PM
I'd cut and paste, but my blog has pics. Peacock is a hot humid steep trail run here on Oahu. 62 miles and 15000 feet of climbing (the same descent). http://jasonhynd.blogspot.com/2014/10/race-report-peacock-100k-2014-defending.html?m=1
Please Login or Register to post a reply
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

Re: Peacock 100k race report... For the runners on here!
October 26, 2014 03:56PM
Well done and congratulations!

Grant Hughes
Wannabe
Anne Francis
Mega Moderator

October 29, 2014 11:11PM
How Awesome and I just can't imagine that feeling. I'm pretty sure I could do the full 26.2 if I could train a bit more but I cannot, just cannot imagine how it would feel to do what you do. Our bodies were definitely built for that distance…like in the caveman days smiling smiley To listen to the pounding of your feet hitting the ground over and over for that long must be a torture in itself.

I read through your blog and have a question…by starting running late what do you mean? How old were you when you started the distance thing? What does your doc say about all of this?

I hurt my knee on a sprint pushing myself to try and train to be a little faster sad smiley…I've struggled with it for the past couple of months, it's not getting worse, it's just not getting better. On a business trip to NY earlier this month I decided to run through central park something I've always wanted to do. I've walked through central park plenty of times but man running is a different story. The hills were just about as bad as some of those in Seattle (or that's how it felt) and it was pouring rain but it felt incredible!

I'm on another marathon of sorts this month leaving Wednesday for a meeting in DC, from DC to another meeting in Beijing then Beijing to Shanghai and Shanghai back to Seattle for the "ultimate loop around the globe" smiling smiley I plan to finished in less than 80 days.

Your son is a beautiful baby!

For you:

john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 29, 2014 11:45PM
Wannabe
How Awesome and I just can't imagine that feeling. I'm pretty sure I could do the full 26.2 if I could train a bit more but I cannot, just cannot imagine how it would feel to do what you do. Our bodies were definitely built for that distance…like in the caveman days smiling smiley To listen to the pounding of your feet hitting the ground over and over for that long must be a torture in itself.

I read through your blog and have a question…by starting running late what do you mean? How old were you when you started the distance thing? What does your doc say about all of this?

I hurt my knee on a sprint pushing myself to try and train to be a little faster sad smiley…I've struggled with it for the past couple of months, it's not getting worse, it's just not getting better. On a business trip to NY earlier this month I decided to run through central park something I've always wanted to do. I've walked through central park plenty of times but man running is a different story. The hills were just about as bad as some of those in Seattle (or that's how it felt) and it was pouring rain but it felt incredible!

I'm on another marathon of sorts this month leaving Wednesday for a meeting in DC, from DC to another meeting in Beijing then Beijing to Shanghai and Shanghai back to Seattle for the "ultimate loop around the globe" smiling smiley I plan to finished in less than 80 days.

Your son is a beautiful baby!

For you:

Muchachita, if you're going to the People's Republic you must get and take with you a wonderfully amusing book: It's called "This Generation" by a crazy guy named Han Han..."China's most popular literary star" who also of all the crazy things turns out to be a rally driver...yeah for years in a VW in the Chinese Championship 2wd class---VW of course...
I'm reading it now at this very moment.. Its a collection of blog entries and gives the best inside view of what all the stuff you read means...
He's subtly hilarious, his "report on preparations for WRC australia" is particularly funny...mock serious "What a poor country Australia must be! So poor is their economy that people pay for a whole house with a swimming pool less than what we pay in Shanghai for a 100 sq m apartment.."

Get it Amazon:
This Generation: Dispatches from China's Most Popular Literary Star (and Race Car Driver) by Han Han (Oct 9, 2012)
(32)

Formats Price New Used
Hardcover
Only 7 left in stock - order soon.
FREE Shipping on orders over $35
$24.00 $9.60 $1.38 $0.01

When you're back you should visit and see all the work we've done on the house. You will not recognise it...

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
frumby
Jason Hynd
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
XR4TI a slow build!

October 30, 2014 01:14AM
Anne, Thanks for reading! I've always been active, but I didn't start running seriously until I was about 34 (I turn 40 in a couple months). Before that I did plenty of miles, but not structured, and nothing over 10 or so. I'm healthy as a horse... doctor's got nuthin to say! Low BP, low 'bad' cholesterol etc.

Although you weren't asking for advice, my one bit would be to run consistently no matter what. Even ONE mile! Instead of taking consecutive days off. The knee pain stinks, but it's likely soft tissue. Focus on form. Do research. Actually, do fast running to tighten the form up. Even if it's only really short sprints across a soccer field. Work on some strength training. Squats, lunges. All with perfect form. Strengthen those connector tissues. Then, there's always something niggling us! I did my best to take myself out of this one by cranking my ankle like four times in four days leading up to it. Greeeeaaaat!

I travel also. A LOT. I don't fly 'little jets' any more, now Gulfstreams... and my GV can go 12 hours! There are some fantastic trails just outside DC if you have the time. Other than that obviously the capital mall area. Sometimes the Dreadmill is your friend though.. like in China? I'll be in Korea in a few days, then Japan. Keep telling myself to embrace the difficulty as 'good training'!
Wannabe
Anne Francis
Mega Moderator

November 01, 2014 12:18PM
Jason,

First, you're right about the consistency running. I've done some shorter runs 1-2miles followed by 3 walking and my knee is feeling better. It goes against logical thinking to give it rest if it hurts. That's one of the other challenges with running when to rest a pain or when to work it out. This one seems to have worked itself out like you said. I'll try your other suggestions, they make sense to me also. I refuse to go to the doctor for an injury from running, if I made it hurt I should be able to figure out how to heal it so I'll take your experienced words thanks for sharing!!!

I'm preparing myself for the hotel treadmills which 99.9% of the time are complete pieces of junk. I don't mind running on a good treadmill but a bad one is just horrible. I have the same thinking with embracing the difficulty, if you can make it through those little challenges it helps when you have more ideal conditions. Heat, dehydration, not feeling well, poor conditions. I've started to enjoy running in the rain (if its a downpour even better) where I was once bothered by it.

My flight from DC to Beijing is 15-16 hours I believe, I'm actually not sure if we will go around or over the top. I'm not even looking just to keep it a surprise smiling smiley

Running like you do must help with the long distance flights? Hope you have a great trip!

John,

Thank you for the book suggestion! It sounds like the light reading I could use. I have a stack of scientific publications and good books I need to read but have managed to get hooked on Candy Crush, please download this I would like to see how quickly you get through the levels. I know it's junk for your brain but I'll check out Han if you give Candy Crush a try!

http://www.candycrushsaga.com

I'm looking forward to experiencing the Chinese culture, the people and their science. It would be great to see you and all of your girls and your updates. I'll check in when I return last part of November.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login