Posted by Jens 
Pete
Pete Remner
Elite Moderator

Re: Need some car suggestions for my wife
January 14, 2015 12:29PM
heymagic
Big caution on any CVT equipped car.

Oddly enough the Nissan CVT is bulletproof. Dodge used it in the Caliber. They pretty much don't fail. i can't speak for others.

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
heymagic
Banned
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

January 14, 2015 12:37PM
We just changed one in a Versa. Little old lady car, 135k, one owner. Died in the driveway. Nissan dealer said they have been seeing a few of them come in now. Not as bad as the Saturn fisaco...

All of them are better than in years past. Even an awful car today is pretty damned good. I look at the cost or grief to repair for our own stuff. If I hate working on brand x, I won't buy one. Like the Ford vs Chevy truck thing. For me, personally, I like working on Chevs, hate working on the 5.4 Ford variants. Lots of Fords around that give great service however. Strictly personal opinion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2015 12:54PM by heymagic.
Snidewhips
Jeremy Livingston
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1990 acura integra, 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

January 14, 2015 01:21PM
when pulling the cab off is potentially less time consuming than doing the ex manis in truck your engineering might suck

All bridges burnt, island life is beauty
heymagic
Banned
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

January 14, 2015 02:07PM
Snidewhips
when pulling the cab off is potentially less time consuming than doing the ex manis in truck your engineering might suck

Amen brother
Jens
Jens
Ultra Moderator

January 14, 2015 02:29PM
heymagic
Snidewhips

Amen brother

What is "ex manis"? Exhaust manifold?
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

January 14, 2015 04:16PM
We had a CVT equipped Subaru during filming at Oregon Trail in 2009. It was NOT in good shape by the end of the weekend. I was not sold. Yes, we had full coverage so drove the piss out of it, but honestly no harder than I drive any of my cars. I'm mildly nicer to our 09 Outback but that's because we usually have kids in the car. The two year old prefers the Golf TDI because I can chirp the tires.

Grant Hughes
Racinkid13
Max
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1983 MKI GTI

January 15, 2015 07:49AM
Oh, and stay far away from '07 Libertards (jeep liberty). Inherited one from my grandpa. Was a great round the town rig, grocery getter/small to park downtown. but highway sucked and it was a gutless wonder on any type of hill. This thing was the v6 auto. Worthless pos. Part of the reason i was in a hurry to get the Dodge.
Andrew_Frick
Andrew Frick
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Rally Spec Ford Focus

January 15, 2015 08:06AM
With all of the new cars going all wacky with infotainment / touch screen / voice activated controls for everything. Make sure your wife test drives the car and likes the interface that the car is offering. Some of the systems seem well thought out others are kinda strange and this can have a serious impact on the usability / enjoyment of the car.
Snidewhips
Jeremy Livingston
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:

January 15, 2015 10:37AM
yeah exaust manifolds. short hand from my university notes days. everyone says the spark plugs are the night mare i those things but exaust manifolds i don't even entertain anymore and if i had a dollar for every asshole who skips timing chains cause they don't change the engine oil and the hydraulic tensioner slacks causing a "custom tune" last one i did was a christmas tree of lights with the police knocking on the chaincover from behind. i asked the fella in the parking lot if he changed his oil regularily, "yes" was the answer, i pulled the dipstick and i dodged a herd of dinosaurs bAck from the tar pits. worst oil i've seen in a truck. he instantly changed his answer. i instantly refused his buisness.

imnotcrazy
Don Kennedy
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Impreza

January 15, 2015 12:07PM
You're in New England. For gods sake, it's gotta be a Subaru. Pick up and 8-10 year old one with 100,000 miles and you'll be good to go for quite a while. 2005 and later they've started to have all the electronic crap that becomes an issue (drive by wire for example). Who's the one, after all, that called them grocery getters?

Don Kennedy
Jens
Jens
Ultra Moderator

January 15, 2015 12:20PM
imnotcrazy
You're in New England. For gods sake, it's gotta be a Subaru. Pick up and 8-10 year old one with 100,000 miles and you'll be good to go for quite a while. 2005 and later they've started to have all the electronic crap that becomes an issue (drive by wire for example). Who's the one, after all, that called them grocery getters?

Son-of-a-bitch! You're still alive old man? Or, did someone dig you up? smiling smiley

Is the alzheimer's taking over? Read my original post. My WIFE needs a car. Needs to be newer and low mileage.

I've had two Subarus in the past. Loved 'em. Both of them rotted out before they broke. I don't want any new shit. My daily driver Honda Passport just passed 200K (what a pile of shit!, but gonna drive it until it won't go anymore).

Speaking of drive by wire..... I have heard many cars now have electric steering (instead of hydaulic). Is it electric motor assist with a real linkage to the steering wheel incase the motor fails, or no real connection?
Pete
Pete Remner
Elite Moderator

January 15, 2015 12:43PM
Snidewhips

Didn't you recommend a vehicle up above that requires dropping the engine to get access to the rear bank of spark plugs?

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
imnotcrazy
Don Kennedy
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Impreza

January 15, 2015 03:29PM
Jens
imnotcrazy

Son-of-a-bitch! You're still alive old man? Or, did someone dig you up? smiling smiley

Is the alzheimer's taking over? Read my original post. My WIFE needs a car. Needs to be newer and low mileage.

I've had two Subarus in the past. Loved 'em. Both of them rotted out before they broke. I don't want any new shit. My daily driver Honda Passport just passed 200K (what a pile of shit!, but gonna drive it until it won't go anymore).

Speaking of drive by wire..... I have heard many cars now have electric steering (instead of hydaulic). Is it electric motor assist with a real linkage to the steering wheel incase the motor fails, or no real connection?
100,000 (or there abouts) is low mileage for a Subaru. Last fall I picked up a 01 Outback with 70,000 miles on it. And 4 years ago I picked up a 03 Legavy with 80,000 miles on it. The newer ones don't rust like the older ones did. I didn't say they don't rust at all. Just not like the 80s ones did. I've got 283,000 on my 96 Impreza, gets 25 MPG to work and back (30 miles) and the only non maintenance work I've ever done was to replace 1 dropped valve guide. I know nothing about electric steering and I want to keep it that way.

Don Kennedy
Snidewhips
Jeremy Livingston
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:

January 15, 2015 03:40PM
the rav or camry? not farmiliar,yet. manipulating an engine is not uncommon ground (chev 3.1-3.8) ect, iridium plugs and reliability make the fruit worth the squeez, and as far as plastic interiors go as long as it works i'm good. i agree for the price you deserve balsa wood and silver but i never buy a vehicle that isn't a steal so plasticy and hidden plugs for the price is well worth it.
ford fan i'm guessing?

Snidewhips
Jeremy Livingston
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:

January 15, 2015 03:43PM
jens alot are a motor in cab your wheel is splined into and then shafted to the rack, i actually am a fan of the feel of some systems feel, the yaris was great!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login