Posted by fiasco 
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

Volvo 850 GLT coolant/head gasket?
February 05, 2017 08:50AM
My daily driver Volvo 850 GLT has been mysteriously losing coolant.

From the film on the inside of the windshield, I figured it was the fairly notoriously leaky but easy to replace heater core, so I did that.

After that, the coolant disappearance increased if anything. Can't find any evidence of leaks anywhere in the system. Changed the oil last night, and after adding fresh oil, I found a little bit of coolant milkshake at the bottom of the dipstick.

Guess it's head gasket time...or Bars Leaks and prayer to the Norse gods. But I don't have a backup car right now (actually, it's locked in storage until spring and needs a new steering rack and power steering pump). So I would either a) have to drop more than the book value of the car to have a shop do the head and rent a car, b) DIY and rent a car for a week or three, c) buy another beater while DIY.

Open to suggestions that don't involve lots of money, because the really stupid part of me noticed a leftover 2016 Fiesta ST at a dealer nearby.

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Pete
Pete Remner
Mod Moderator

Re: Volvo 850 GLT coolant/head gasket?
February 05, 2017 04:01PM
Are you sure it was coolant and not just cold weather condensation?

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

Re: Volvo 850 GLT coolant/head gasket?
February 05, 2017 04:46PM
It's losing coolant, I can't find a leak, and it gets run 45 minutes to an hour each way on my commute and I'm not afraid of using my right foot and the boost.

I dumped 3/4 a can of stop leak in it. We'll see what happens. Worst comes to worst, I'll either increase my debt load with a car payment or start hoarding similar cheap Volvos in the hopes of having at least one that runs at any given time.

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login