Off Topic
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

Weirdest things you have found in the woods?

Posted by Gravity Fed 
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

Weirdest things you have found in the woods?
November 28, 2011 03:41PM
As im sure many of you have spent some time in the woods, be it rallying, off roading, hiking or being born there. What's the weirdest things you have found in the woods? Any good stories?
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

Re: Weirdest things you have found in the woods?
November 28, 2011 03:53PM
as for myself and my limited existence.

1. Remains of an old house and possible mill in Indiana on some friends property. Rather close to a stream. Cut stone construction. In rather poor shape.

2. Pile of skinned coyotes out in the middle of nowhere in Idaho. At least 20. Nothing really odd considering its legal to kill em in droves year round, just awkward.

3. a Dodge two door of some sort. Perhaps 40s era. Rather bullet riddled. Wasn't there this last year. Probably someone looking for scrap metal picked up it.

4. Womans pants with a phone number on them in Oregon outside The Dalles

5. Couple cars at the bottom of the ravine near the Snake River outside Mountain Home, Id. I guess gravity is amusing to people. I have also found things that "stray" from the bombing range. Like illumination flares. Specifically the kind with White Phosphorus. Turns out that stuff just crusts up (blackish layer) and if disturbed get fresh air and starts again. Glad i didn't kick it.

6. Some old bridges and logging equipment. Im impressed at how fast nature can overtake things.

7. Old house, half fallen in. Creepy side was a wedding dress hanging up in the hallway. Probably left by kids previously going through, either was in there or added, but still, kinda eerie.

8. Abandoned house in Ohio. Seemed to be left as was for at least 15 years. Still was rather complete inside. Lots of personal items. Even a checkbook and some foreclosure papers dated in the 80s.

9. Tons of mining equipment and old buildings around the area for the Idaho Rally.

10. One time i followed this road, in rather poor condition and bumpy. Bottomed out a few times, misshapened a rim even. Came into an area with tons of abandoned buildings. I mean dozens or even hundreds. I check my GPS. Turns out i was in Cleveland. And the bumps were pot holes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2011 03:55PM by Gravity Fed.
fliz
Chad Eixenberger
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
1988 VW Golf #687

November 28, 2011 04:12PM
A pair of downhill skis in good condition found while hunting in a draw near Kellogg, Idaho. It was nowhere near a resort, and the trees were way too tight for somebody to have been skiing there.

I used them for my rock skis for a few years.
Racinkid13
Max
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1983 MKI GTI

November 28, 2011 04:32PM
Seen a lot a crazy crap out wheelin in Naches. Some funny, some not so nice.

Funny - a tree decorated with condoms. Up in the mountains mind you. just off a trail.
two male dogs humpin each other. saw this down near Packwood. Camping. They would take turns

wierd - followed a well over grown trail, turned out to be an old quad trail, in my truck. came across two pikes, either side, with skulls tied to them. We didnt want to see the Thunderdome in person, so we turned around.
Jay
Jay Woodward
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
'90 Mazdog Frankenprotege

Jay
November 28, 2011 04:49PM
Found my driveway, I see. ^^
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

November 28, 2011 05:14PM
Real or imaginary?
I've discovered a ton of crazy shit in the woods.
I remember one time walking alone back from a cave and walking in dark with no sounds, stars or visible light to guide me either direction. Just had to trust I was going the right way. Was totally questioning myself and convinced I was going to get lost. That was when I noticed some light ahead. I'd found my way back to the campsite. As I got closer, I realized I was on a trail. Probably had followed it the whole time.
BJosephD
Brian j Dyer
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
04 Rocky Mountain MTB...

November 28, 2011 07:18PM
Mushrooms, lots of mushrooms.
Racinkid13
Max
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1983 MKI GTI

November 29, 2011 10:09AM
BJosephD
Mushrooms, lots of mushrooms.

being out in the middle of the woods that are unfamiliar to you on shrooms gets one kinda sketched out. Or..........................so ive heard.......from a friend.
alkun
Albert Kun
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

November 29, 2011 10:21AM
A pair of friends were out on a long mountain bike ride in the wood around Lake Tahoe many years ago, they kept seeing ranger trucks and even a helicopter, so they kept going the other way. Until they found the lost 3-year old kid who eveyone was looking for. There was some arguement about who had to give hime the piggy-back ride back to the rangers. At least that is their story. I suspect they were on the 'shrooms, found an old shoe that they carrried around for a while and then gave to a tree stump.
heymagic
Banned
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

November 29, 2011 11:01AM
Found a young couple boiking in the middle of a trail once. I was on a new Yammy that was still quiet and idling down the trial. Nice rack...on the MC !!
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

November 29, 2011 12:24PM
Two good looking female park rangers, about 40 miles from any road bathing in bikinis while doing some research project. We'd been out hiking for about 3 days to get there. Lemme see if I still have pics on the home computer when I get home. (had a great time around the campfire that night)
Francois
Francois Poirier
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Open class Laser RS (RIP), 242 GT on the way!

November 29, 2011 12:34PM
Once found a outhouse in the middle of nowhere. no camp or anything for miles around it.

My friend had to go, so he wanted to use it... Came out a few seconds later holding his pants and with a weird face. There was a huge bee hive in it!

Francois
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

November 29, 2011 01:16PM
shat on a bee hive eh? Not on my list of things to experience.
heymagic
Banned
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

November 29, 2011 01:35PM
Must be where the "honey bucket' phrase came from.
derek
Derek Bottles
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Past: 323, RX2, GTI. Next up M3 ?

November 29, 2011 02:02PM
Mostly old logging equipment.

One time I was driving the GTX out, way out, for some practice. I ran into the snow line and continued on for a bit till it got too deep. While turning around I looked down and saw a whole little commune of old school buses and camo tarps around a camp fire etc. I got the hell out of there, they were hard to see and I am thinking meth lab/ commune. I did not stay around to figure it out...

I am most struck buy how basically everywhere I go there is some sign some human did something there, from old stumps, to pipe lines, mining rail, foundations, orchard trees etc. People have covered almost every inch of the USA at some point in history. I am also struck by how well nature takes it back.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login