Tyler Estes
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
My PC.

Road car advice?
October 20, 2012 07:03PM
Poll
Well?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
12 votes were received.
No. Dumb choice. You choose bacon. 1

8%
Get a Volvo 245 and be just as pimpin'. 5

42%
Get the boring and obvious Legacy. 4

33%
Bacon. 2

17%
Bacon. 0

0%

I wrapped my Taurus around a pole and stuff on Tuesday and the frame is bent all to hell, so that means it's totaled and Progressive is sending me a check for another one. Was gonna get a '96 Legacy wagon, but then fell in love with an ugly, terrible on gas, expensive to repair/maintain, probably not worth the money, interesting and sort of rare 1988 Merc 560 SEC. It costs about the same as my Taurus did, but with moar powarz and wannabe-ballerness. And also, the insurance for the 560 is about half of that for the Legacy. But it's also gonna be like $100 a week on gas.

http://columbiamo.craigslist.org/ctd/3326993863.html

Any legitimate reason not to get it? I already know the downsides, but does anyone have any experience with them? I don't like Mercs, but damn.

Something about something....dirt.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

Re: Road car advice?
October 20, 2012 07:56PM
Poor people with rich people cars quickly become completely broke people with rich people immobile lawn ornaments.

Or, as my friend's dad (retired mechanic) says about Audis (you can insert any luxury Euro make): "Audis? Fuck that shit! Those friggin' things are for rich people who can pay Hans $1,000 for a damn oil change! Just wait until something real fuckin' breaks!!"

If you need to get to work and don't have wrenching experience, you need something boring, basic, and Amackeroonian or Japonese. As you gain work experience and a bank account and wrenching experience, then you can venture into something more interesting. For now, you need to be able to get to work on time.

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
jbass
James Bass
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
2x 1985 Merkur XR4Ti

October 21, 2012 08:45AM
^^ What he said.

AVOID. That god-awful ignition control module costs about $2000 to replace. Not a joke.

Go check Rockauto.com, look it up, and see how much it costs. Don't think you can pick up good used ones either - they are mostly bad (ever wonder why all of these in the bone yards *LOOK* so great?).

Get an older Volvo like the 245 in the poll... They rule and are UBER reliable. 940, 740, 240... Redblock. Avoid the FWD junk.

Our old 940 was kickin' like Van Damme with 230k miles, until it met the fate of a deer strike at 70mph (obliterated the LARGE deer). Wife ok, car - beat to hell. A friend actually fixed it all up with boneyard metalwork, and his family STILL drives the thing. Beautifully simple. Just what you need when on a budget.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2012 08:47AM by jbass.
Houdini91
Tyler Estes
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
My PC.

October 21, 2012 08:46AM
fiasco
Poor people with rich people cars quickly become completely broke people with rich people immobile lawn ornaments.

Or, as my friend's dad (retired mechanic) says about Audis (you can insert any luxury Euro make): "Audis? Fuck that shit! Those friggin' things are for rich people who can pay Hans $1,000 for a damn oil change! Just wait until something real fuckin' breaks!!"

If you need to get to work and don't have wrenching experience, you need something boring, basic, and Amackeroonian or Japonese. As you gain work experience and a bank account and wrenching experience, then you can venture into something more interesting. For now, you need to be able to get to work on time.

I think you're right on all accounts. I make good money for someone my age, so I wouldn't quite say I'm poor. And I tell myself I'll be fine with it, but I'm sure as soon as something breaks and I have to spend like $1,000 for a distributor cap I'll say "Fuck that shit. I should have gone with the Subaru." I know I'll regret whatever decision I make, though. Whatever car I get I'll wish I bought the other one. If I wasn't still paying off the Ford then I'd probably get both drinking smiley But I guess I'll test drive both and then make a decision. If I get the Legacy I'll be bored and disappointed while getting to work reliably and having a place to put stuff since it's a wagon, and if I get the 560 I'll have a ton of fun while and have something that to me is special while being broke. Or get the Merc, and sell it if I don't like it and then get something that's not stupid.

jbass
James Bass
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
2x 1985 Merkur XR4Ti

October 21, 2012 08:50AM
Oh, PS: at the risk of sounding like a rockauto.com fan boi (uh I kinda am sometimes) - they have this neat calculator on their site to show differences in parts prices on vehicles. Try something like an Audi V8 Quattro on one side, versus a 940 Volvo. Or a 928 vs. a Civic. It's a hoot.
Houdini91
Tyler Estes
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
My PC.

October 21, 2012 08:59AM
jbass
^^ What he said.

AVOID. That god-awful ignition control module costs about $2000 to replace. Not a joke.

Go check Rockauto.com, look it up, and see how much it costs. Don't think you can pick up good used ones either - they are mostly bad (ever wonder why all of these in the bone yards *LOOK* so great?).

Get an older Volvo like the 245 in the poll... They rule and are UBER reliable. 940, 740, 240... Redblock. Avoid the FWD junk.

Our old 940 was kickin' like Van Damme with 230k miles, until it met the fate of a deer strike at 70mph (obliterated the LARGE deer). Wife ok, car - beat to hell. A friend actually fixed it all up with boneyard metalwork, and his family STILL drives the thing. Beautifully simple. Just what you need when on a budget.

There's a ratty-looking 245 for sale ( http://columbiamo.craigslist.org/cto/3268041975.html)about 15 minutes away from me. But insurance is like $200 a month for a car that's worth maybe $700. And I'm (unfortunately) a TB member, and they always go on about how reliable their 240's are, but when a newb asks about buying one it's always "I can't go 20 minutes without something breaking on that POS. I've sunk $10,000 (seriously) maintaining my 240 over the years. You're better off getting a Camry." But they probably buy them for $45 and then wonder why it falls apart. There aren't any RWD Volvos for sale around here, so that's out. Except for that red wagon I posted. And for the Legacy it's $130 and the Merc is $70. I just went to Rock Auto and the parts aren't that expensive. Except the ignition control module. That's ridiculous. So if that's the route I take then I hope that doesn't fail on me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2012 09:04AM by Houdini91.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

October 21, 2012 02:56PM
Get a 5 speed Saturn SL2. 40 MPG and super reliable.

The Mercedes is expensive and automatic? Are you a poof? Then pass.

Personally, I'm enjoying my 1992 BMW 325i daily driver. Paid $1100 for it, plenty of power to get sideways, decent handling and comfortable ride. Gas is a bitch needing 91 but I really don't drive all that much.

That rockauto calculator is cool!
Parts for the 1997 SUBARU IMPREZA 2.2L cost 1.23 times the cost of parts for a 1995 BMW 325I 2.5L.
Parts for the 1992 VOLVO 240 2.3L cost only 96% of what parts for a 1995 BMW 325I 2.5L cost.
Parts for the 1985 MERKUR XR4TI 2.3L cost only 77% of what parts for a 1995 BMW 325I 2.5L cost.

Grant Hughes
Houdini91
Tyler Estes
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
My PC.

October 21, 2012 04:19PM
NoCoast
Get a 5 speed Saturn SL2. 40 MPG and super reliable.

The Mercedes is expensive and automatic? Are you a poof? Then pass.

Personally, I'm enjoying my 1992 BMW 325i daily driver. Paid $1100 for it, plenty of power to get sideways, decent handling and comfortable ride. Gas is a bitch needing 91 but I really don't drive all that much.

That rockauto calculator is cool!
Parts for the 1997 SUBARU IMPREZA 2.2L cost 1.23 times the cost of parts for a 1995 BMW 325I 2.5L.
Parts for the 1992 VOLVO 240 2.3L cost only 96% of what parts for a 1995 BMW 325I 2.5L cost.
Parts for the 1985 MERKUR XR4TI 2.3L cost only 77% of what parts for a 1995 BMW 325I 2.5L cost.

I don't know what a poof is. If I could get a manual 560 then it would be a done deal. I'm 21. I know that it would be moar smrat to get something that's boring and good on gas and reliable, but if I'm driving Saturns and Corollas my whole life just so I can save like $25 a week on gas and maybe $50 on parts a month then every time I get in the car would be a waste of time. So I'm trying to alternate buying cars with my head and "with my heart" as gay as that sounds. Every other time I get one I try to make it a smart buy, and the next time I get something that's fun and unique and something I legitimately like, but not a rusted POS or something that's going to break down every other day. It's a W126, not a rusted out Lancia or something. A car doesn't have to have 3 pedals to be fun, but it certainly helps. The Merc is $500 more than the Legacy that I want, but insurance is like half the cost. I was just asking if there was anything that usually goes wrong (like if the tranny explodes for no reason sometimes, they spontaneously combust, etc.) because you guys probably have more experience and know what you're talking about. Is it lame to be a young guy driving a Mercedes older than he is? Hell yeah. Will I look like a douchefag while I drive it? Without a doubt. But I'll still think "It sure feels good to have an imagination" as I pay out of my ass to have something minor replaced. My bills don't cost much and all that, so if I end up hating it I can dump it on some poor sap put it on CL and get something that's not stupid. But I still might end up getting the Legacy or something similar. Because wagon.

http://columbiamo.craigslist.org/cto/3237639000.html

Body isn't great but seems like a good deal otherwise.

Rock auto also says that parts for the Scooby cost 80% of what parts for the Merc cost. So there's that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2012 04:20PM by Houdini91.
MConte05
Matthew Conte
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Subaru Legacy Turbozzzzzz

October 23, 2012 11:45AM
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/3354397124.html

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/3342055207.html

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/3306843414.html

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/3356416367.html

It almost seems like you want to have the "unreliable/odd" car just for the sake of being different, no matter what the cost. Why? Vehicular Hipster? There are plenty of cars that are indeed fun and easy on the wallet.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 23, 2012 11:51AM
Houdini91
I wrapped my Taurus around a pole and stuff on Tuesday and the frame is bent all to hell, so that means it's totaled and Progressive is sending me a check for another one. Was gonna get a '96 Legacy wagon, but then fell in love with an ugly, terrible on gas, expensive to repair/maintain, probably not worth the money, interesting and sort of rare 1988 Merc 560 SEC. It costs about the same as my Taurus did, but with moar powarz and wannabe-ballerness. And also, the insurance for the 560 is about half of that for the Legacy. But it's also gonna be like $100 a week on gas.

http://columbiamo.craigslist.org/ctd/3326993863.html

Any legitimate reason not to get it? I already know the downsides, but does anyone have any experience with them? I don't like Mercs, but damn.

You cannot be serious.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
KTurner
Kevin Turner
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
2wd Impreza... dude you should do an sti swap

October 23, 2012 12:07PM
Houdini91

I don't know what a poof is.

-KTurner
Stomp down on the exhilarator and hold on to the wheel.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 23, 2012 01:38PM
KTurner
Houdini91

I don't know what a poof is.

Thanks, I wuz gonna clarify with the same, but got some calls.

1st Rule!

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Houdini91
Tyler Estes
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
My PC.

October 23, 2012 01:48PM
MConte05
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/3354397124.html

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/3342055207.html

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/3306843414.html

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/3356416367.html

It almost seems like you want to have the "unreliable/odd" car just for the sake of being different, no matter what the cost. Why? Vehicular Hipster? There are plenty of cars that are indeed fun and easy on the wallet.

I know it seems like that, but that's not it. I don't want something that's going to fall apart and then cost a lot to fix just so I can say "Look at me and how different I am! I'm so cool." While smoke pours out of my car. Even though it looks like I said exactly that a few posts ago. It's not like I'd DD an old Renault or something. I called the lot with the old Merc and they said it needed a little work but nothing to worry about, so I dropped it. It doesn't have to be rare or special, but that would be cool. I'd be perfectly happy with something that's common and reliable and cheap. I'm not a "It has to constantly break for it to be worth having" guy. http://columbiamo.craigslist.org/ctd/3359485485.html Like people who are fans of the Jag XJS, for instance.

The M3 looks nice but an auto in an M3 almost defeats the purpose, and that's out of my price range for buying a privately owned car. The 323i is already on the list of cars I'm gonna look at, even though it's a poser-mobile. Also gonna look at a 330i.
Being 21 and driving a bright red Porsche is something i'd rather not do tongue sticking out smiley
I'm starting to realize how snobby I sound. Someone sell me a Buick or something drinking smiley I'm sure I'm going to be talked into buying a Camry this weekend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2012 01:57PM by Houdini91.
HiTempguy
Banned
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

October 23, 2012 02:06PM
Houdini91
I make good money for someone my age

And poor life choices.

This is a trainwreck I can't wait to watch unfold. If you were making good money for being "21", why would you have PAYMENTS on a friekin' Taurass?

drinking smiley
Houdini91
Tyler Estes
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
My PC.

October 23, 2012 02:21PM
HiTempguy
Houdini91
I make good money for someone my age

And poor life choices.

This is a trainwreck I can't wait to watch unfold. If you were making good money for being "21", why would you have PAYMENTS on a friekin' Taurass?

drinking smiley

I'm a pro at making poor life choices.
It could turn out well and it could turn out to be a trainwreck. If I mess up then I know not to make stupid decisions. Maybe I want a nice/fun/cool car before I get old and have responsibilities and shit and then have to drive something I don't like. That's almost like calling a rally car a 'poor life choice.' "Yeah, get in a really fast cage with wheels attached to it and throw it at trees. That's a trainwreck I can't wait to watch unfold." And I live 30 miles away from my job and needed a car. I couldn't be picky. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login