Posted by john vanlandingham 
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Idiot designed security at Gmail--a cry for help
November 20, 2012 07:36PM
Youse who know me know that I would make legal violent, brutal murder legal for most people connected with computers and web shit.. Only seems fair, really.
Now since I got here (People's Republic of China) I managed to log onto my Gmail account a couple f times, no problem, the 4-5 days ago an automated message from Gmail; "we have decected suspicious activity on your account, click here"

It's Google allright, not so redirect or whatever it's asking "When did you open your account?" with a drop down mo/yr thing. "When was the last dy you could access your account?" day/mo/yr.

No place for a message where I can politely and calmly say "You wretched stinking syphilitic asshole imbeciles, you think I travel around the world with a note when 5-6 years ago I opened the fucking Gmail accounts. KILL YOURSELVES YOU PIECES OF MAGGOT INFESTED SHIT-FOR-Brains--YOU'RE costing me money you cunts"

How does one communicate with those morons when you can't remember what day and year you opened the account?

Why is it not legal to torture and maim computer nerd types?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
jbass
James Bass
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
2x 1985 Merkur XR4Ti

Re: Idiot designed security at Gmail--a cry for help
November 21, 2012 09:27AM
*(Before entering room, removes computer-nerd hat to avoid conflict.)

Usually - that message indicates that the overlords think that an account appears 'compromised' - I believe they determine this by the volume of what gets flagged as 'spam' - originating from the account within a specific time frame. It could be possible that your account *is* compromised at this time... ...or maybe not. At this point - it doesn't matter.

When you set up the account - they (I think?) asked for a 'recovery' email address. I believe they send some verification codes to that account, so that you can recover the other one. Also, there is a text/voice code recovery - if a phone number was entered for recovery purposes when the account was set up. (I'm not sure if this was set up on your account, though.)

If the "password recovery" mechanism doesn't work - you *might* be up the creek. There *ARE* some 'professional services' companies that actually can interface with Google (usually for Enterprise stuff, but I have asked them for help with non-enterprise things before - when I worked for a company that had this service) but, I have NO idea how much it would cost. The company we used to use was called NeoNova - I don't even know if it is a viable option with standard GMail accounts, but, just tossing out that as a "last ditch effort" type thing - can't hurt to try it if all else fails. I used that company to 'recover' a Google Apps account for my wife's non-profit organization - I would have never been able to do it without them.

Hope you have luck!
Wannabe
Anne Francis
Professional Moderator

November 21, 2012 12:04PM
I'm no computer geek but I've had my fair share of problems including computer/email hacking. Never say never, it can happen to you too. It's a good safety measure Google has in place, like when you use a credit card in a place you don't visit often. The real issue is not in the safety measure but their lack of support and that's probably due to the volume of people who would call/email for troubleshooting. tongue sticking out smiley

Here's something to try: Stating the obvious but if you try and reset your password again maybe you will get some different security questions that will allow you to reset.

Here's something else to try: It's a pain in the butt just deal with it when you return, most everyone back here is in Thanksgiving mode anyhoo. Be thankful for your beautiful family, the wonderful experience you're giving your children and love!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2012 12:06PM by Wannabe.
Racinkid13
Max
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1983 MKI GTI

November 21, 2012 09:18PM
I have seen where china has blocked a ton of google related things. Google may think youre a commy
Wannabe
Anne Francis
Professional Moderator

November 21, 2012 09:37PM
Racinkid13
I have seen where china has blocked a ton of google related things. Google may think youre a commy

You're always good for a zinger that makes me smile smiling smiley

Hey John, let me know if you can think of anything I can help with from here. I'm back in town.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

November 21, 2012 09:39PM
Racinkid13

They'd be half right in that I'm strongly anti-corporate, and anti-imperialist, strongly pro-co-opertive.
But I'm sure that's near right, the problem is when I come back will they still be asking "what mo/yr did you open the account?"

And james, thanks but I didn't understand anything of what you said.. like "non-enterprise" is that something from the epic Finnish adventure film "Star Wreck" ?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Dazed_Driver
Banned
Ultra Moderator

November 21, 2012 10:05PM
As much as I agree with you in that that particular security verification is insanely retarded, the idea of maiming people who work with computers is absurd, lol.

You're going to have to realize times have changed and long gone are the days of telegraphs and maiming people because you can't figure things out.

Welcome to the cult of JVL drink the koolaid or be banned.
Wannabe
Anne Francis
Professional Moderator

November 21, 2012 10:52PM
Dazed_Driver
As much as I agree with you in that that particular security verification is insanely retarded, the idea of maiming people who work with computers is absurd, lol.

You're going to have to realize times have changed and long gone are the days of telegraphs and maiming people because you can't figure things out.

Hey...no harm in "mock maiming"...don't make me sic my dogs on you smiling smiley

(3 puppies I'm fostering through Thanksgiving, surgery and available for adoption this weekend)

8 week old Boxer Mixes: 2 males (Charlie & Linus) and a Brindle female (Lucy). I can share more details on the shelter by email for anyone interested.

Cute and full of energy and shit....just like you! Timmy winking smiley
Attachments:
open | download - Peanuts.jpg (49.2 KB)
Peanuts.jpg
open | download - Linus.jpg (41.1 KB)
Linus.jpg
jbass
James Bass
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
2x 1985 Merkur XR4Ti

November 22, 2012 07:30AM
Or the Beavis and Butthead enterprise:

Everyone does have a point there though... If you are on a different computer, you may also be in luck, as if that's the case, when you do get back - your 'old' computer may work with it just fine, as it may still be logged in to GMail (browser cookie?). That would be great, and give you an opportunity to add those security questions, etc. Of course, if it is a laptop that you've always exclusively used, then- , maybe not...
ChrisKobi
Chris Kobayashi
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
2000 ford focus zx3

November 22, 2012 10:54AM
Wannabe
Dazed_Driver

Hey...no harm in "mock maiming"...don't make me sic my dogs on you smiling smiley

(3 puppies I'm fostering through Thanksgiving, surgery and available for adoption this weekend)

8 week old Boxer Mixes: 2 males (Charlie & Linus) and a Brindle female (Lucy). I can share more details on the shelter by email for anyone interested.

I've wanted a boxer for years! to bad I don/t live in a place where I could have one at the moment.

They sure are cute!
JohnLane
John Lane
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
The Fire Breathing Monster

November 22, 2012 01:37PM
John almost certainly your dear friends at Google have realized that messages are coming from your account in China when you are normally in Seattle. For Google this sends up (how fitting!) Red flags! Thus; you are shut down.

Ish will likely be easy to make work once you are Stateside.

Smile and enjoy your trip Sans Google.

Kisses!

JohnLane

Overkill is consistently more fun
Wannabe
Anne Francis
Professional Moderator

November 23, 2012 01:04PM
ChrisKobi
Wannabe
Dazed_Driver

I've wanted a boxer for years! to bad I don/t live in a place where I could have one at the moment.

They sure are cute!

Boxers are definitely a man's dog. Didn't know much about the breed before this bunch. This litter must have been mixed with Tasmanian Devil! They were wild.

Here are couple of additional pics, their official other half is unknown but I think Beagle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2012 03:24PM by Wannabe.
Attachments:
open | download - Taz.jpg (20 KB)
Taz.jpg
open | download - Lucy Lu.jpg (19.9 KB)
Lucy Lu.jpg
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login