Posted by Rallymech 
alkun
Albert Kun
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

Re: Looking for a replacement truck
December 28, 2012 09:43PM
Thundra the Tundra isnt great, but its solidly fair. Its never ever let me down. (except when we ran it out of gas the night before Doowops with Comrade VanL at the helm!)

Its coming up for sale very soon, if anyone is interested in a very fair tow vehicle/work truck.
2000, green,v8, 2wd, 110k miles
Please Login or Register to post a reply
RWD4ME
Morten
Infallible Moderator

Re: Looking for a replacement truck
December 30, 2012 12:11AM
I had an 02 Double Cab TRD, and was pleased overall with the truck.

A persistant problem I had was dust getting into the cabin. I could close the windows, sunroof, vents, and when on FSR's (forest service roads) would still get dust into the cabin. The dealers never did figure it out. I sold it 2 weeks after the lease expired for $4500 above my buyout.

The double cab was only avialable in auto and it was somewhet gut less but still seemed thirsty.

The truck motivated me to get into rally. Not from driving in 4WD but instead driving in 2WD on FSR's and drifting (yeah I know... drifting in auto - slap me).

The first rally event I went to, I volunteerd... and was one of the sweep vehicles.

My first time driving on a closed road, confident there was no on coming traffic. I had spectators mention that the Taco sweep was more fun to watch than some of the stage cars.

I would buy another, if it fit my lifestyle but it would need to be the stick shift!

It was made/assembled in California (if I recall correctly), and was suprisingly cheap in the fit and finish.

Still though, there's demand and resale.

The 3.4L seemed better than the 3.0L with the head gasket issues and recalls, but still lacked power in the auto configuration.

It did tow a 74' Dodge Colt from Cascade Autosports to South of Sea Tac on a UHAUL trailer without trouble. Towing the same Dodge Colt from Vancouver to Merritt for PFR via the Coquihalla Pass, the 3.4L was struggling.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login