Max
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
1983 MKI GTI

Yaesu FT-270
March 22, 2013 02:29PM
Poll
What to do?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
5 votes were received.
Return the Diamond, no Brokeback Mt here 3

60%
Just get the friggin adapter 0

0%
Wrap that mofo in bacon! 2

40%

Picked one up. In my research, this seems to be a good one to start out with. My question, I got a Diamond 16" antenna, but it is a male connector, my handheld is a male connector as well. Is it worth it to get an adapter (is it going to affect recption) or should I return the antenna and just go with a female connector antenna?

No, i dont have my license yet. And no, Im not talking on it. So far have listened to the weather channels.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
jbass
James Bass
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
2x 1985 Merkur XR4Ti

Re: Yaesu FT-270
March 22, 2013 05:31PM
I'd return the antenna you got, and get one that fits without adapters. An adapter will not only make your rig more duplo feeling, but will also potentially add a dB or two of loss (depending upon quality). I bought a Diamond SRH77CA for my FT-50R (OLD SKEWEL), and it's great - used it at 100AW in February... Beats the piss out of the stock antenna. (This was on 2m - haven't tried on 70cm!)

I'm _fairly_ sure that the Yaesus all use the same connector...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2013 05:34PM by jbass.
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

March 22, 2013 09:17PM
Also return the radio and get yourself a 1970s Midland CB radio with a 2,000 watt linear amplifier, echo mike, and roger beep!

Or not.

I've found my FT60 to be of pretty limited use in rally...good to listen when working (or cross-band repeat to a mobile or base nearby). When servicing, again, good to listen to the net, and to know when you need to get to a real radio to actually transmit to the car.

I still use the stock antenna on the FT60, I've found the "better" antennas are waaaaay more breakable.

Last rally I worked (four years ago...ooops), my Icom 2200H mobile hooked to a Larsen dual-band antenna clamp-mounted to my XR4's hatch worked so much better than what the official radio worker's set, they ended up sitting in my idling car for one stage (that ended up being cancelled). And three hours of idling so the radio would transmit at 65w melted the cataclysmic crapverter on the car. Which I of course promptly fixed (with an iron rod and a sledge).

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
Vorpal_Rally
Stinkfinger Lipschitz
Godlike Moderator

March 23, 2013 08:37AM
I'd tell you to get the proper male to female connector antenna. An adaptor is a failure point and for something that can get bounced around, a broken connector can turn your $$$$ radio into a brick.

It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favour of vegetarianism, while the wolf remains of a different opinion.
William Ralph Inge

TANSTAAFL
derek
Derek Bottles
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Past: 323, RX2, GTI. Next up M3 ?

March 26, 2013 04:31PM
Adapters are fine. With only 5 watts get a good antenna, should be 4db on 2m at least.

It would need to be a horrible adapter to lose much db.

In the long run reality always wins.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login