Banned
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

Re: Fawking Prius owners
August 21, 2013 09:32AM
Pete
LexusFman
You have a point, but there isn't a single new car in America that (...) isn't boring to drive.

FFM.

They all suck, unless you grew up playing video games and think that road feel is something that needs to be isolated and quarantined.

I blame steamroller tires with rubberband sidewalls. The suspension changes needed to be able to drive on those in a straight line and not hammer down the road like a Radio Flyer have completely nuked driver feel.

Gold!!! Those frickin 20 and 22 inch tires are horrible.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Creech
Scott Creech
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Audi 90 Quattro (WIP)

August 23, 2013 01:26PM
imnotcrazy
My most common occurance on my way to work is where everyone usually drives about 5 over the limit. I come upon someone driving either 5 under the limit or right at the limit and slowing down for every little curve or hill. I pass them, eventually, then they speed up and are on my tail, usually for only a mile or 2 then they drop back again (this is on 2 lane roads).

I've always said: Easiest way to get the guy in front of you to Speed Up... is to PASS THEM...

Parfois, on fait pas semblant!

I am:
I know:
I am from:

Nobody.
Nothing.
Nowhere.
Creech
Scott Creech
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Audi 90 Quattro (WIP)

August 23, 2013 01:30PM
heymagic
Get an Accent (change the timing belt). I can't imagine hating my son enough to get him a Volvo for a DD. Horrid cars, slow, wobbly, expensive to work on, working tail lights a rarity, oil leaking, funny smelling and you'll die a virgin.

Make certain it's a Manual. Hyundai never did get that shitty slushbox to stay in one piece for more than 80 or 90 thousand, so they dropped it.

I am:
I know:
I am from:

Nobody.
Nothing.
Nowhere.
imnotcrazy
Don Kennedy
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Impreza

August 23, 2013 06:31PM
Another one I hit again today. Traveling 5-10 below the speed limit. They come to a stop sign. Do they stop? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Slow down but roll right thru then continue their 5-10 below. And it's not usually an old person.

Don Kennedy
JohnLane
John Lane
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
The Fire Breathing Monster

August 25, 2013 12:41PM
I got to drive Tiny to Arlington and back yesterday.... Prius in the left lane doing double nickels (his speed limit is 70.. Traffic moving at 75).... I roll up behind at 65.... Woke some shit-head the f___ up.... OH SHIT>>>>> THERE IS A HUGE BUMPER IN MY REAR VIEW!! (wanders all over the lane as though the text conversation just got dropped into the Mocha Frappuccino) But true to form.... Dip-shit did not get out of the left lane. I got to wait for an opening in the right lane to pass it. Ugh!

I'm tempted to Mount a reinforced Railroad tie to the front of Tiny as a bumper and go to the local wrecker so as to 'rub on' several colors of paint to make it look the part.

JohnLane

Overkill is consistently more fun
alosix
Jason Powers
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
02 WRX, still to quiet, but it finished a rally

August 29, 2013 04:11PM
NoCoast
heymagic
Seems like "kids" are into tailgating and older fucks are into cutting people off, and none of the ignorant shits like to change lanes to let you onto the freeway.

One of my biggest pet peeves is when someone on the freeway yields to me when I am coming onto the freeway. It is MY job to speed up or slow down and slot in, not your job to speed up to block me or as is more common, slow down to let me in.

Oh yeah, Jeeps. I have an irrational hatred of Jeeps on the roadway. Simply driving one already says you are probably fairly ignorant and they always seem to drive like total asshats. Ironically most people I know that own Jeeps are fairly decent and nice people. Of course, half of those people have parked their Jeeps while they try to find a way to afford to fix them.

Arg.. Merging.. Seriously, don't ever drive in CA.. its just how they drive. I'd normally scare the ever living shit out of people rolling down on on-ramp @ 5-10 over in my JEEP hunting for a spot to fit in.

Oh.. and I'd comment on the Jeep thing, but mine is current in pieces in the garage smiling smiley.

This isn't floor mat anarchy
derek
Derek Bottles
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Past: 323, RX2, GTI. Next up M3 ?

August 30, 2013 01:54PM
Can not say I have seen a new car with any personality or sex appeal in a long time. They all appear to be boring sensory deprivation tanks rolling down the road.

I am also shocked at how many people in my peer group have no clue how to do the little things, like change a flat tire anymore.

In the long run reality always wins.
frumby
Jason Hynd
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
XR4TI a slow build!

September 04, 2013 04:18PM
I just spent two weeks in the PNW. Everyone there sucks at driving. They're all entitled to the left lane, and almost never move over on single lane roads that widen up hills to allow for passing. It's really quite amazing. Cops everywhere.. I mean EVERYWHERE. If you slip up and go 60 in a 50 you're fucked. On Whidbey island at least that's a guaranteed ticket.
They're not so good here in HI either. It's hilarious to me that they'll bust you for no seat belt, but pick ups will have five kids in the bed no problem, and wearing a helmet on a motorbike is truely rare.
Best drivers IMO? Italy. Speed limits mean nothing, every city is chaos... but there are many unwritten rules that are followed, and everyone is super aware. Very few cops. It just works. Very little texting/cell phone driving. Lots of shitbox little cars that actually are fun to drive, and can actually be parked.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

September 04, 2013 04:50PM
frumby
I just spent two weeks in the PNW. Everyone there sucks at driving. They're all entitled to the left lane, and almost never move over on single lane roads that widen up hills to allow for passing. It's really quite amazing. Cops everywhere.. I mean EVERYWHERE. If you slip up and go 60 in a 50 you're fucked. On Whidbey island at least that's a guaranteed ticket.
They're not so good here in HI either. It's hilarious to me that they'll bust you for no seat belt, but pick ups will have five kids in the bed no problem, and wearing a helmet on a motorbike is truely rare.
Best drivers IMO? Italy. Speed limits mean nothing, every city is chaos... but there are many unwritten rules that are followed, and everyone is super aware. Very few cops. It just works. Very little texting/cell phone driving. Lots of shitbox little cars that actually are fun to drive, and can actually be parked.

Chaos leads to awareness. French drivers were similar I thought. India was by far the most fun. Navigating Chennai in a rickshaw with nothing but a compass, the knowledge that we wanted to go north, and three friends yelling stuff like "watch out for that goat!" and such was a highlight of my life.

Grant Hughes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2013 04:50PM by NoCoast.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

September 04, 2013 06:11PM
frumby

Until not terribly long ago the Italians had no drunk driving laws.
You hit somebody, you hit them, you speed, you sped..
In the typical logic they would seriously say: "logiclly drunkeness can be looked at as a mitigating factor. You were drunk, you you crashed... You have to ask 'If you weren't drunk, then why did you crash?"

I've thought that when you see cars crashed on sparkling clear days, dead straight road, no visibility problems, light traffic straight road and some POS SUV on the roof... In by view it is prima facia proof they driver is incompetent and did something with outrageous indifference, and should be banned for 10 years from being near motor vehicles of any kind.

And Whidbey cops have preyed on Navy people for ever, they know nobody is going to get too mouthy of bother much, pure gross cynicism.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
frumby
Jason Hynd
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
XR4TI a slow build!

September 04, 2013 08:22PM
Didn't know about Italian drunk driving laws. It doesn't surprise me though. But one thing... Much less people get real drunk over there than here. It's less in the culture to go out and get wasted.
Creech
Scott Creech
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Audi 90 Quattro (WIP)

September 04, 2013 08:51PM
frumby
Didn't know about Italian drunk driving laws. It doesn't surprise me though. But one thing... Much less people get real drunk over there than here. It's less in the culture to go out and get wasted.

Americans don't do ANYTHING Half-Assed.

Except Politics.

I am:
I know:
I am from:

Nobody.
Nothing.
Nowhere.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

September 05, 2013 01:49AM
Creech
frumby

Except Politics.

Oh? Really?
December 8th, 1941 in London in a cabinet meeting about the Americans finally getting into the war against world wide Fascism some upper crust Pommie general was recorded by a couple of sources to have said "Thank Gawd the Americans are finally in the war, they can always be relied upon to do the right thing"
To which it is recorded Winston Churchill muttered "Oh yes, after they try everything else"

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Creech
Scott Creech
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Audi 90 Quattro (WIP)

September 05, 2013 04:01PM
john vanlandingham
Creech
frumby

Except Politics.

Oh? Really?
December 8th, 1941 in London in a cabinet meeting about the Americans finally getting into the war against world wide Fascism some upper crust Pommie general was recorded by a couple of sources to have said "Thank Gawd the Americans are finally in the war, they can always be relied upon to do the right thing"
To which it is recorded Winston Churchill muttered "Oh yes, after they try everything else"

The Joke was that Americans are SERIOUS about Driving Drunk - and do so in an overboard, overkill manner. However, you just made my point about the Politics half of the joke....

I am:
I know:
I am from:

Nobody.
Nothing.
Nowhere.
derek
Derek Bottles
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Past: 323, RX2, GTI. Next up M3 ?

September 06, 2013 07:03PM
The Prius, 20th on the list of fuel efficient cars after 19 Diesels

http://www.economist.com/news/technology-quarterly/21584436-automotive-technology-electric-and-hybrid-cars-are-being-given-run-their

In the long run reality always wins.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login