Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1970 VW Beetle & 1991 Subaru Legacy

Experimental Aircraft
September 17, 2013 08:08AM
Thought I'd start a new thread.

hoche
johnhuebbe
Slightly off topic to bogus safety equipment, but...

More reading:
http://members.eaa.org/home/govt/issues/samateur_built_operating.asp

Like you mentioned, FAR 91.319 has a few rules applicable to experimental aircraft. FAR 91.319c states that "...no person may operate an aircraft that has an experimental certificate over a densely populated area or in a congested airway". Interestingly, many pilots remember this rule from 91.319, but conveniently forget a similar rule applicable to ALL airplanes in FAR 91.119 that states that "...no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes: (a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface."

Really, the vast majority of commercial aircraft are operating into and out of airports in major cities where they couldn't make an emergency landing "without undue hazard to persons or property"

The FAA's concern is with any action by a pilot that creates a hazard to innocent bystanders on the ground. In practice, this means that during "Phase 1" every new amateur-built experimental aircraft may not be operated over any congested area. After the 25 or 40 hour phase 1 testing, the plane "is prohibited from operating in congested airways or over densely populated areas unless directed by Air Traffic Control, or unless sufficient altitude is maintained to effect a safe emergency landing in the event of a power unit failure, without hazard to persons or property on the surface."

Probably should start a new thread and move this to Off-Topic if we're going to keep gabbing about it, but...

That's interesting. I don't really keep up with experimental regs; I was under the impression that like light-sport they were pretty limited with where they could fly. Clearly it's less of a limitation than I thought. So, that leaves one remaining issue: can you get them instrument certified?

I fly out of Hayward, which is a Class C that's slammed right up next to and underneath Oakland, which is in turn a Class C that's underneath San Francisco. Right next door to the west is San Carlos's Class C. Getting out of there under VFR involves a lot of shenanigans, and sometimes it's just easier to file IFR and get clearances. Also, it's often fogged in in the morning, so an IFR clearance is often necessary if you want to get airborne before about 11am.

The other issue, of course, is that I have a perfectly good Cherokee 6 with a 600hr engine, and I like the thing. It hauls a lot and is a pretty mellow bird to fly. I need to upgrade the avionics a bit, but I keep spending money on this stupid racing nonsense instead.

For IFR:

Like all aircraft, an amateur-built experimental aircraft must be properly equipped before it can be operated under IFR rules [91.205]. This is confirmed in FAA Order 8130.2D Chg 1, paragraph 134, which states that:

"(7) [During "Phase 1" Flight Test Period] the aircraft is to be operated under Visual Flight Rules (VFR), day only. (8) After completion of phase I flight testing, unless appropriately equipped for night and/or instrument flight in accordance with § 91.205, this aircraft is to be operated under VFR, day only. ...(28) The pilot in command of this aircraft shall notify air traffic control of the experimental nature of this aircraft when operating into or out of airports with an operational control tower. When filing IFR, the experimental nature of this aircraft shall be listed in the remarks section of the flight plan."

So, essentially, yes you can build an experimental aircraft for IFR operation. There are people who do it all the time. And NONE of the instruments need to be TSO'd.

More reading:
http://members.eaa.org/home/homebuilders/faq/Equipping%20a%20Homebuilt%20for%20IFR%20operations.html
Please Login or Register to post a reply
derek
Derek Bottles
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Past: 323, RX2, GTI. Next up M3 ?

Re: Experimental Aircraft
September 17, 2013 11:24PM
Yes you can fly non TSO'ed Experimentals IFR.

With the 2020 ADS-B Out requirement I think we are all going to upgrade our panels a bit. Experimentals will do it for +/- $2000, guys like me in C185's are going to spend around $15,000 to do basically the same thing... what is the point of TSO again?

In the long run reality always wins.
johnhuebbe
John Huebbe
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1970 VW Beetle & 1991 Subaru Legacy

September 18, 2013 07:50AM
derek

With the 2020 ADS-B Out requirement I think we are all going to upgrade our panels a bit. Experimentals will do it for +/- $2000, guys like me in C185's are going to spend around $15,000 to do basically the same thing... what is the point of TSO again?

Good question. smiling smiley

I know some people who have RV's where their panel cost more than my entire airplane!
derek
Derek Bottles
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Past: 323, RX2, GTI. Next up M3 ?

September 18, 2013 06:41PM
Some people like to push buttons or look at screens. I rather fly the plane and look outside. As a float plane, most of that panel crap is unnecessary. I do fly under class B so I do need a transponder and a radio is nice but the rest of it...

In the long run reality always wins.
b00sted
David Barrett
Godlike Moderator

October 02, 2013 05:28AM
I used to fly a little shitbox 172 out of Midway Airport in Chicago. That was always something that worried me, espeically with a single engine piston aircraft...If the engine stalls on take off or landing, there's absolutely nowhere to go...Except maybe 63rd street that runs east-west on the south border of the airport...But that's packed with traffic 24 hours a day and rittled with power lines, poles, etc.

I can't imagine a commercial jet having to make a quick emergency landing right after takeoff.
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

October 03, 2013 02:41AM
derek

Well, it's not THAT much.

A Freeflight 1201 is $3000 (GPS/WAAS sensor)
A Trig TT31 is $2800 (transponder replacement, does ADS-B out)

Plus installation, of course.

Or you can get a Garmin 430W (used) for about $7K and plug it into the Trig.

Bleah.

Note: I fully appreciate flying experimentals, but I'm not sure what the argument here is. Are you saying I should sell the Six and build something myself on the basis that the avionics are cheaper?

Self-righteous douche canoe
markhuebbe
Mark Huebbe
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
1970 VW Beetle (Historic)

October 08, 2013 09:39AM
hoche

Note: I fully appreciate flying experimentals, but I'm not sure what the argument here is. Are you saying I should sell the Six and build something myself on the basis that the avionics are cheaper?

I'd say the argument is about education, customization, and experimentation. If most of your flying is long haul, 4+ passenger, I guess your PA-32 fits the bill. However, for the cost of a nice used PA-32-260 or 300 ($80k-120k), I could build a kick ass RV 9/10/14/whatever.

For me at least (with my super cheap Sonex), it's also about cost control. I don't need to pay for an expensive annual, fuel burn is crazy low, share hangar space...

http://www.huebberally.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login