Posted by NoCoast 
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

WRC footage compression - burning to DVD
February 07, 2006 09:42AM
So I was trying to take WRC Sweden and burn it onto DVD. Ended up having to do a VCD instead. Adobe Premiere Pro won't import the files do to unsupported compression, and my cheap DVD maker inverts the files (upside down and backwards) when it tries to burn them to DVD.
Anyone had any luck with burning to DVD? I even had the thought to try to do a PAL disc but even that wouldn't work.

Grant Hughes
Please Login or Register to post a reply
sagsert
Mustafa Samli
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Gaylant VR4

Re: WRC footage compression - burning to DVD
February 07, 2006 09:48AM
I burned mine without any problems.

I am using Roxio, and downloading the torrents from you know where.

Even though the HiRes versions take forever to burn the end result is very satisfactory.

Cheers
M.Samli
Phoenix AZ
Gaylant VR4
EVO III GSR (Stolen)

Rallies are no place for traitors
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

February 07, 2006 10:15AM
Roxio. Sweet. We'll get that software from you know where. Or at least, I'll tell the person I always have get me software to find it.
Here's the info on the codec used if anyone's curious.

File:266 MB (266 Mcool smiley,duration: 0:25:52,type: AVI,1 audio stream(s),quality: 54 %

Video:242 MB,1312 Kbps,25.0 fps,512*384 (4:3),DIVX = OpenDivx v4,Supported

Audio:23 MB,128 Kbps,48000 Hz,2 channels,0x55 = MPEG Layer-3,Supported

Grant Hughes
Morten
Morten
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
1974 Dodge Colt

February 07, 2006 11:30AM
I use the "Roxio easy media creator 7 (basic version)".

I'd have to say it kicks ass on everything else I've ever used.
Skye
Skye Nott
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Xratty

February 07, 2006 12:37PM
Nero could probably do it as well.

My computer monitor is nearly as good as the TV so I never bother burning

www.rallyrace.net
Morten
Morten
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
1974 Dodge Colt

February 07, 2006 12:42PM
Skye,

Aren't most computer moniters better in dpi's than most TV's anyways ?

And only limited by the vid card ?
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

February 07, 2006 01:01PM
Nero wouldn't. I don't have a TV. We were having a rally party elsewhere though, and we want to make some discs available for people who can't make it to our parties (which we have for every event), can't or won't download it. Ended up doing a VCD though Nero, which worked okay since the house we went to was a small TV (20"winking smiley.

Grant Hughes
Morten
Morten
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
1974 Dodge Colt

February 07, 2006 01:21PM
Fucking TV's are over rated anyways !

I bought a 43" Samsung DLP 2 years ago. for $3500 + tax Canuckistan dollars. What a piece of shit it turned out to be !!!

2 year onsite warranty. Well appearantly Samsung was having too many problems with it so they changed the Warranty to 1 year, but didn't bother to recall the TV's so they could change the inbox warranties. But still tried to ignore the warranty obligation never the less.

Fucking crooks !

They farm out warranty repairs to electronics companies.

So the first time the warranty guy came to pick up the TV cause they couldn't fix it onsite... He cramed the TV into the back of his 4 door Toyota Corolla, what a joke !!!

I just got it back last week after the 4th repair. This time I went to Future Shop and bought a 20" Toshiba flatscreen for $229 in order to do a baseline comparrison when my "fixed" high end TV came back.

I split my cable feed and put the TV's side by side.

The cheap Toshiba kicked the ass out of the Samsung !

I won't be buying an expensive TV again and nor anything from fucking Samsung !!!

NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

February 07, 2006 01:44PM
Umm. Yeah. DLPs will never match the resolution of a tube.
And you're not alone. Too bad you didn't get a good salesman who could have advised you against it (like I would have), but then again, your probably like most people and just went to Best Buy because they had it cheaper and you don't mind being sold stuff by some 18 year old. Which is why commissioned home electronics sales staff is going away and more crap can get on the market and be coined as top of the line and revolutionary, because the front line of your defense against such crap (the salesman) has been replaced by a cheap workforce thanks to people wanting deals the like of which only $8 an hour and big box stores and cheap products with high margins can provide. Precisely why, after 4 years, my average hourly wage continuously fell, due to falling commission rates, due to negative margins, as a smaller company tried to stay in business competing against corporate big box stores. I did a confidential study actually right after I started my current job looking at the impact of big box stores over the last 15 years on the retail industry. Not too pretty.

Grant Hughes
Morten
Morten
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
1974 Dodge Colt

February 07, 2006 02:03PM
Grant that's a lot of assumptions into what kind of consumer that I am !

Also incorrect !

I didn't buy from a big box store and at the time DLP's were touted as having great resolution, not to mention a DVI input that I later found to be inferior to Component Input.

I did like the feature of being able to run my PC through the TV and use it for a monitor. My TV, never quite measured up to the one in the sound room at my local speaker store though. Read - > Speaker store !

I got spoiled with TV's in the early 1980's when my dad bought a Sony Profeel studio monitor in Japan. It was never released as a consumer model in North America, and still now is being used in TV stations. It's kind of funny when watching the news, looking in the background of the anchorman/woman, that a 20+ year old monitor is being used.

I bought the DLP because the tube in the Profeel went after 22 years of use.

NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

February 07, 2006 02:24PM
Key statement, "Too bad you didn't get a good salesman." The rest are all assumptions and key attributes as to why most good salesmen are gone. Speaker stores can be hard because speakers generally pay awesome commission when compared to TVs.
DLPs have good resolution compared to a VGA projector or EDTV plasmas. Other than that they are inferior to CRT tubes, LCD projectors (HD ones anyhow), Sony Rear LCDs, CRT projection sets, and HD plasmas. But, they have pretty good margin and since Samsung makes most of the cheap chips so benefit even when people buy non-Samsung DLPs they promote the crap out of them. I still never figured out how it won product of the year from Popular Science. Must have bought 15 years worth of ads or something.
In your defense, I nearly bought one once (43 also), but it was also a returned older model that was offered to me for $500. I considered it heavily though. I'll stick with no TV. Gives me another excuse to go to the bar.

Grant Hughes
Morten
Morten
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
1974 Dodge Colt

February 07, 2006 03:01PM
Yeah I feel jipped !

The speaker store is a speaker manufacturer much like NHT (Now Hear This), in that they import speakers and components and then design and manufacture their own cabinets / boxes.

I'd used the company to do commercial and residential installs on jobs that I've worked on. Mind you they just supply and then farm out the labour to contractors.

I usually research most products that I buy, the DLP being no exception. I'm with you, on the concept that there are no good sales people... only one's that'll say anything to "push" you into the product where they get the most commission.

Can't beat the big box stores on their "try it for 2 weeks", warranty and if you don't like it then return it for 100% refund. My in car PFR footage comes to mind.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2006 03:01PM by Morten.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login