Posted by DirkaDirkaJack 
DirkaDirkaJack
Jack Russell
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
phil's GTI

Seattle Area Flight Schools
March 18, 2014 11:09PM
Hey whats up everyone. Haven't been around here in a while.

Still have Phil Meyers old GTI, still drive it to work and back a few times a year winking smiley

getting married really through a wrench into doing a rallies...dammit that was a mistake...still working on the car here and there and plan to rally in a year or so...

anyway....

i found an even more expensive hobby than rally (but one that my wife will actually support, haha) aviation!

there are a lot of flight school no doubt in the seattle area. anyone have any recommendations for a good one? should i do ground school at the renton CC through the boeing flight club?

thanks!
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: Seattle Area Flight Schools
March 18, 2014 11:52PM
Ask Derek Bottles. He did his pilots licence just down the hill from me at Boeing Field. I remember he said he had a good instructor.. I have his phone number if you know how to punch a few numbers.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
markhuebbe
Mark Huebbe
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
1970 VW Beetle (Historic)

March 19, 2014 12:41PM
DirkaDirkaJack

i found an even more expensive hobby than rally (but one that my wife will actually support, haha) aviation!

For me I find that flying is much cheaper than rally. But I guess with anything in life, if you want to spend more than the next guy there's always a way. SR22 vs 152 / EVO X vs VW Golf

http://www.huebberally.com
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

March 19, 2014 02:08PM
markhuebbe
DirkaDirkaJack

For me I find that flying is much cheaper than rally. But I guess with anything in life, if you want to spend more than the next guy there's always a way. SR22 vs 152 / EVO X vs VW Golf

My employer just started a flying club. The club owns a Cirrus SR20. Looks fun, latest avionics, apparently even has a parachute so you can bring it in (relatively) gently if the fecal matter impacts the propeller.

I refuse to take a "trial flight lesson" since I need another money pit hobby like a hole in my head.

edit: It's an SR20…why do they put the flying club on the company intranet home page?

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2014 06:22PM by fiasco.
derek
Derek Bottles
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Past: 323, RX2, GTI. Next up M3 ?

March 20, 2014 01:21PM
If you can take your lessons at Boeing's EMP club on Renton Field (RNT) that is the lowest cost and best way to go.

I took my lessons for a land plane at Wings A Loft (BFI) - as it was close to my home and office and they had spring sale the year I did it. The club was OK, my instructor was OK and it worked for me. They have changed hands and I do not know much about them now.

Today I would look at Regal Air in Everett (PAE) (as a pilot you will learn to call airports by their codes) or http://www.rainierflightservice.com/ at RNT as my first two picks other than the Boeing club. I flew some with Regal and rent there from time to time.

I took my float plane rating at Kenmore Air. IFR at Wings A Loft and Tail Wheel/ mountain flying/ recurrent training from independent instructors.

Regal, Boeing EMP Club and places like Wings A Loft are set up for you to use their planes after your lessons on a rental program at a fair rate. If you do not own a plane this is the way to go. I flew the club planes a fair bit before I settled on flying my own float plane 99% of the time.

I self studied for the ground school but I am the type that learns well on my own and tests well.

Go take the intro lessons all the schools offer - it is cheap time and you will get a good idea of what they offer. Make sure to ask about using the planes after the lessons, will an instructor be around when you have time to fly etc. Make sure you like and respect your instructor and make sure they plan to be around for the duration of your lessons, it sucks to have them go take an airline job 3 weeks before you are ready to take the test...

I am highly motivated, I started lessons in April and was licensed July 7th. I flew mostly after work, a few weekends and on a few long lunch brakes. Learning at BFI was good as if you can fly at a big busy airport you can fly anywhere but it cost more and you spend more time dealing with traffic (DHL & UPS Jets) at this type of airport. I had about 50-55 hrs when I took the test.

PAE is also busy but RNT is less crowded and a nice place to fly. I fly out of RNT when my Cessna 185 is on wheels. If you live south there are Aurburn, Pierce County, Etc - I have only done touch and go landings there so know nothing about them. Up north there is Harvey Field and Arlington, both nice airports and less crowded than RNT, BFI or PAE.

In the long run reality always wins.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

March 20, 2014 02:06PM
oh Dewick you sound so, so.......piloty,,,smileys with beer

Just remember the sign I saw on the wall of a line shack way back in the 50s at NAS Corpus Christi:

No Smoking 8 hours prior to flight
No drinking within 50 feet of the aircraft.

Wise words.drinking smiley

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
johnhuebbe
John Huebbe
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1970 VW Beetle & 1991 Subaru Legacy

March 20, 2014 03:24PM
Don't be afraid to try out a few instructors early on. Some have different ways of teaching and will make more sense to you as you start to learn.

At the school I was at, there were some instructors that would let you do almost anything in the rental (including crash) and others were very restrictive and almost wouldn't let you fly. It's a fine line of letting a student make a mistake and learn from it vs. catching a serious mistake before they flatten the landing gear.
DirkaDirkaJack
Jack Russell
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
phil's GTI

March 27, 2014 05:10PM
thanks for the info everyone.

was planning on doing ground school through BEFA, but i will be in Europe during part of the class this spring, so I think I might wait until the fall to take it. BEFA seems like a much better deal for ground school than other schools. Kind of a drag i have to wait.

in other news, ordered some parts for the Rabbit...might even get worked on a bit here....
Iowa999
no-one of consequence
Professional Moderator

March 27, 2014 07:29PM
أقترح Lakeland، ولكن لا استطيع ان اقول ما اذا كان يمكن أن يعلم كيف إلى الأرض.
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

March 27, 2014 07:56PM
Something something Snowden C4 Putin Turkey Crimea TSA Kardashian…wut?

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
Iowa999
no-one of consequence
Professional Moderator

March 27, 2014 07:57PM
I'll let JVL translate.
northcoast
Kevin Morrison
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1998 Subaru Imp

June 18, 2014 02:15PM
Iowa999
أقترح Lakeland، ولكن لا استطيع ان اقول ما اذا كان يمكن أن يعلم كيف إلى الأرض.

Horrible 9/11 reference about not learning how to land.

I flew with Northway at PAE when I was learning. Still have a membership there but need to sell it since I live down south now. Like John and Derek said, try out a few instructors. Find one you get along with and who works with your method of learning.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login