urr
Andrew Sutherland
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru, EVO, Honda, Husky

urr
Idaho City 100
March 24, 2014 12:53PM
Has anyone done the Idaho City 100 or an ISDE race? This will be my first and looking for advice/tips.

Thanks
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: Idaho City 100
March 24, 2014 02:36PM
urr
Has anyone done the Idaho City 100 or an ISDE race? This will be my first and looking for advice/tips.

Thanks

Did ISDT Qualifier at Trask Mountain---the same woods Oregon Trail used to be in way back---4th in 500A class---first Silver just a squek out of Gold...1982* and 10 years later again except it was then ISDE...DNF from unknown persons vandalising several sections of things by tearing down lots of arrows and 45-60 guys got totally lost...survived a day one head on into a cow driving her Toyota down a extremely narrow 2-track. Bang! Yeeeooooow over the car and landing about 6 feet uop--upside down in an alder thicket (Ahhhh that weren't bad, nice and soft...as the adlders bent and swayed---then I fell straight down on my head...dinged my gord pretty good like "Which way do we go George? Which way do we go, huh huh huh?"

I suggest as No1 piece of advice don't run into cars.

That year it was done as a 1 day event---182 miles before the last Grass Track Test---which was 5 laps around Mulkey ORV track moto-crss track extended to 2 miles length so 10 more miles..192 miles in the woods in one day is not uncommon in ISDE.

What class and what bike? It's only 100 miles per day so should be a pleasant ride.
In that kind of countryside we'd typically do 130-140 miles of fun (maybe 85%0 type riding per day in my early 40s. 100 miles should be 4 hours or less

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
urr
Andrew Sutherland
Super Moderator

Rally Car:

urr
March 24, 2014 04:02PM
Not sure what bike yet, either my Husky 310 or a KTM 200. I'll probably do a B Vet class.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

March 24, 2014 09:35PM
urr
Not sure what bike yet, either my Husky 310 or a KTM 200. I'll probably do a B Vet class.

What you curious about.?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
urr
Andrew Sutherland
Super Moderator

Rally Car:

urr
March 25, 2014 01:00PM
Mainly the ISDE race format, it sounds very similar to rally. There are transits and specials; arriving late or early gets you penalties etc. Secondly, any insight into Idaho City specifics: camping, terrain, bike set up etc....
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

March 25, 2014 02:40PM
urr
Mainly the ISDE race format, it sounds very similar to rally. There are transits and specials; arriving late or early gets you penalties etc. Secondly, any insight into Idaho City specifics: camping, terrain, bike set up etc....

Very similar....(I've only done 2 US ones but shared garage with Swedish and European Championship level guys back when I lived in Sweden---also multiple German 250 and 500 German Enduro Champion was a good friend and I stayed at his place often on the way between Stockholm and France who I mainly raced International moto-crosses...full time in 1977 and 1979 seasons...
Now interestingly I got to know a number of French and Italisn guys who were sorta 10th-15th OA type guys like me (usually 35 guys in an International) who were really European Championship Enduro and National championship Enduro guys and these guys were doing International level mx to force themselves to become betyter at serious "goin' for it"---what we now call "maximum attack"winking smiley

Since no European like bureaucrats and bureaucracy (never had anybody ever blink when I'd say "First against the wall when the Revolution comes will be the bureaucrats"
THERE and in the 2 I did all controls were in the open and obvious and the Control Zone was marked with now familiar signs...so you could ARRIVE whenever you wanted....just not roll into the control zone..simple, don't roll across the line and hand in the card..

Further the norm was to have a couple ring binders on a pole and in each binder was on separate pieces of paper 0-9. The Control crew would flip the pages so you pull up and over --------> is the sign board, you glace at the time chart on your tank*, glance at the watch and then look at the binders.....and you see the "Oafish-al" Time displayed....

* All timing was done like ZERO time, not Time of Day...you get---or I did and tradionally over there you got a sticker with all the essentially "Passage contols" and ES---epeuve special or "Special Sträcka“ Kinda like:

Check Point (or whatever)or Target time 1..............09.37
etc

So you've been having a nice day---and when is it not a nice top when you're in the woods?----and gassing it along merrily and you roll up to CP1 ...clock says its 09.29...chart shows In Time is 09.37 and the display says 09.29..
Groovy, time to step into the wood and let loose with a hydrualic pressure washer like stream...come back, glance at the chain.....have a swig of ________, and get the time card out, you're cool.
You really don't even need a watch.. Check point peeps flip up the final 7 (They displayed only minutes at Trask)..push it across and the card, they stamp it and off you go...**

At a SS or ES they in the past might have 15 second gaps...gotta be ready to go.

The bulk of the miles is all fun trails with, for me, generous times...The SSs become the decisive thing..At Trask they had several tight woods sections maybe 5-8 miles long which was FULL GAS and timing to the second. They had a 200m timed acceleration test combined with a sound test YIKES (4th or 5th best time at the first one in the 80s and I'd made my own silencer and it was goooood...and the end of the day tradionally is the "Grass track test"--the glorified moto-cross track
Trask in the 90s did the grass track at the first thing about 3 miles into the thing and the last thing

No idea if you ride to attack or to cruise but its set up the Grass track aka moto-cross is decisive....that's what the Italian and french guys were doing dukin it out at International level with me.. Those guys were GOOD--especially in loose shale!!eye popping smiley

More even than in rally, my old plagarism of the Hippocratic Oath applies:
FIRST DO NO STUPID...don't hit the ground. don't hit trees, don't fall off a cliff, (hmmm what else have I done stupid????) Don't stall from rear brakes too hard...all those are costly in time..don't break the bike, don't get punctures.

Oh yeah: Don't die...
My best friend died on a transit in the Italian round of Euro Championship in 1979 just 2 days after stopping in the shop...Last thing this very kind and generous man said as he put the van in gear "I'' be back Tuesday evening and I'll come get you and we can drink some beer and I'll talk you outta doing more cross--and into doing enduros!

It's easy and fun.

** I offered to buy 20-30 ring binders and do the 0-9 photocopies and put 'em in plastic protectors, do the whole damn thing up here so that Noobs would have one less way to screw up.....and the suggestion was contemptuously dismissed "This is the way we always have done it, why to want to come in and change everything!!!?" eye rolling smiley

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Aaron Luptak
Aaron Luptak
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Civic...

March 25, 2014 02:49PM
You might want to contact Dick Rockrohr - he's just outside of Boise, and (I think) he used to do a fair amount with bikes, so he may have some insight into that specific event.

It looks like the start/finish is the same spot that Idaho Rally used for service in 2010.

KF7RWG
http://www.utahrallygroup.com
urr
Andrew Sutherland
Super Moderator

Rally Car:

urr
June 04, 2014 01:07PM
I missed the race. I spent the weekend before the race in Seattle riding Capital Forest and Cle Elm and 2 of the 3 guys that were headed to Idaho bailed so my other buddy and I drove down to Bend to ride a couple days at China Hat. The trails are some of the funnest I've ever ridden....but dangerous since it's two way traffic.

random trail footage

result of a head on with another rider...more hardware in my arm:
Attachments:
open | download - hardware 2.jpg (18 KB)
hardware 2.jpg
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 04, 2014 01:17PM
Fawk!
Bikes are quick and not everybody riding them is even half-alert so I used to always run a GOOD headlight to give those fools a little advance warning...still had a couple of head-ons, lots of bike damage and praise be to Allah, no injuries from those...
It'll either get better or you'll grow a new one.

I think....

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
urr
Andrew Sutherland
Super Moderator

Rally Car:

urr
June 04, 2014 01:34PM
The bike has a little damage but nothing terminal, which is good because it's the best bike I've ever owned....it's so good everywhere. The biggest issue now is the pain meds blocking me up worse than a loaf of cheese....
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 04, 2014 01:43PM
urr
The bike has a little damage but nothing terminal, which is good because it's the best bike I've ever owned....it's so good everywhere. The biggest issue now is the pain meds blocking me up worse than a loaf of cheese....

Never had metal parts in me because all the broken stuff was too small---all fingers most toes, left pinkie about 13 times---or just set and forget and hope it grows bqack straight---which they didn't---but then I got a all new metal knee....and bang 2 serious ass blood clots behind the knee..
So between the pain meds and the blood thinner meds I was serious considering trying to grow rabbit ears cause i was eating maining rabbit food and I was making rabbit pellets and thought I was going to pop a vein in the forehead to get a tiny "ploop"
I was writting grafiti on the wall and singing the song "Here I sit , all broken hearted, came to shit, but only farted" and the popular variation "Here I sit buns a-flexin---giving birth to another Texan"

That crap went on for over 6 months till the clots went away...poor me..

Get a "ecomomy family sized 5 gallon pail of Mega-muscil".

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login