Morison
Banned
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

Re: Fiestas are brilliant.....
November 03, 2014 10:22AM
HiTempguy
So I take issue with the "without a doubt there would be a crash without this feature" and "this system single handedly helped avoid this incident".
But that wasn't my comment... that came from Tibor and Shabir, the crew directly involved in the incident.

First Rally: 2001
Driver (7), Co-Driver (44)
Drivers (16)
Clerk (10), Official (7), Volunteer (4)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Last Updated, January 4, 2015

john vanlandingham
Blame is for idiots. losers.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

November 03, 2014 10:39AM
Morison
HiTempguy
So I take issue with the "without a doubt there would be a crash without this feature" and "this system single handedly helped avoid this incident".
But that wasn't my comment... that came from Tibor and Shabir, the crew directly involved in the incident.

Morison
The driver and co-driver say that WITH OUT A DOUBT, they would have hit the car blocking the road and/or had to drive into the (big) trees themselves (at over 100km/h)

the system saved likely tens of thousands of dollars in property damage, not to mention the risk of injury to the second car's crew.

You specifically emphasized sections of the original quote to spin the message. Don't blame the driver-codriver for using their words to pass on your message.
Morison
Banned
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

November 03, 2014 10:53AM
aj_johnson
You specifically emphasized sections of the original quote to spin the message. Don't blame the driver-codriver for using their words to pass on your message.

Who's blaming anyone?
The reality is that the driver and co-driver were that emphatic about it and I was sharing that information. Did I emphasise it - yes, and I don't apologize for doing that either.
When you say 'using their words to pass on my message' you make it sound like I've twisted what they said or added emphasis to their experience. That definitely isn't the case.

First Rally: 2001
Driver (7), Co-Driver (44)
Drivers (16)
Clerk (10), Official (7), Volunteer (4)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Last Updated, January 4, 2015

john vanlandingham
Blame is for idiots. losers.
HiTempguy
Banned
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

November 03, 2014 11:18AM
Morison

Fair enough, I did not realize that. Therefore, I take issue with "their comment" smiling smiley

Beyond that, I guess I should take Tibor's word for it. Like myself, he knows how to hit things!
A1337STI
Alex Rademacher
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
93 GC with an 01 RS swap!

November 03, 2014 12:31PM
HiTempguy
[Devils advocate]Of course, is use of the SOS appropriate for this situation?

According to the rallysafe video no it was not : http://rallysafe.com.au/2013/02/competitors/

the default procedure states they were supposed to press Okay Hazard on course , which is actually the default mode if you crash/ stop on stage.

unless they needed help (medical or couldn't get out of their car)

course maybe the event supps stated otherwise, in which case they probably did the correct action.

I think at some point, at a low enough price point, we "need" this. I don't think the affordable answer is gonna come from renting them from Australia (as bad ass as that company seems)

Maybe at around $50 (or less) it could be workable, but i doubt that works for rallysafe. . 60 car event would gross them $3,000? then again maybe. if they are making a profit with out the US market maybe they will see us as icing on the cake ... ?

that other test was offered at $100 per unit , so that may be more the price they need to make it worth their while.. sad smiley
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

November 03, 2014 02:06PM
I was a little bummed about the following via app. It was lacking:
Schedule/timeline - Okay, I see some cars, but what stage are they on?
Standings - Again, I see individual scores but nothing cumulative.

That was mostly it. I downloaded and looked at it while we were driving around moving cars and getting the tire mounter/balance machines. It seemed neat but I had no clue what was going on, what stage they were on, who was winning, etc. I wasn't even sure if they rally was still going on. It showed times for all ten stages but I could see the 0 and 00 progressing through some other stage and all the cars bunched at a start line. Then it kinda stopped and nothing else seemed to happen.

Grant Hughes
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

November 03, 2014 05:35PM
Morison
aj_johnson

Who's blaming anyone?
The reality is that the driver and co-driver were that emphatic about it and I was sharing that information. Did I emphasise it - yes, and I don't apologize for doing that either.
When you say 'using their words to pass on my message' you make it sound like I've twisted what they said or added emphasis to their experience. That definitely isn't the case.

You did add emphasis to their words to portray the the system as a necessity, which does paint their experience in studio lights.

Irregardless, I like the idea, and it's a cool system. I don't like the sales pitch, and I really believe that it will become obsolete in the near future. Other than the notification of the car off in front of you, all the other features are currently available to teams and not many have deemed it worth the cost. And once decided on you are married to it and eventually costs will fall upon the competitors. I don't feel the juice will be worth the squeeze.
buerckner
Andrew Buerckner
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Daihatsu Charade GTti DOHC Turbo, and Mazda MX-5(miata) Turbo(bent)

May 12, 2015 03:18AM
I missed this whole thread.

Probably a good thing, makes me sad to see a bunch of rally folk carrying on like this regarding safety.
Yes rallysafe costs money,
yes it doesn't work perfectly all of the time,
No it's not going to pull you from a burning car,
No it won't stop the nav hitting the wrong button.

I have used it many time here in Aust. sadly I've even had to use it after a big off. In that case the event knew we had had a big one and already had the stage stopped and medics on route before the next car on the road made it to us(they didn't stop, but that's another story).
The rest of the regular safety protocols were followed.

buerckner
Continuing to add to my crash tally.
Yesterday I got to watch my driver airlifted to hospital :-(
Running 4th outright at beginning of day and only 15 sec between 3rd and 6th everyone was pushing hard.

We realised at 160kph we had a problem and weren't likely to make the next corner, driver slowed it down to 80 kph before aiming it off the road straight.
Down a 3-4m drop into a paddock, big impact when we landed then slid to a halt on 3 wheels.

This rally was using rallysafe GPS tracking systems which recorder the big gforce impact and automatically informed HQ, I used it to confirm we needed medical assistance as the driver had lower back pain.

Medical team arrived and he was extracted from the vehicle on a spinal board and flown to hospital for xrays etc. Luckily he was okay with only muscle damage and released that night.

We know it's dangerous, but I'm glad of recent developments in safety for our sport. HQ already had medical on the way before the next car was on the scene. I was wearing the carbon stilo and Simpson hybrid pro and walked away.
The driver had a reasonable helmet and Hans device on too. We think that a fencepost struck his floor/seatmount as he felt a big impact through the seat, which caused his issues.

I have a stiff neck but nothing too major.

Anyhoo the car was a white nissan S13 Silvia and we we landed in a diary cow paddock, I think I should avoid white cars and milk!

So what to the competitors think after using the Rallysafe system at a few events?
danster
Haggis Muncher
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
VWs (for my sins)

June 03, 2015 09:01AM
Travelled all the way to Englandshire to find Fiestas ain't so brilliant....

http://www.flyingfinish.co.uk/2015/events/000008/internet/retgb.php

Disappointingly not yet a Jackass
rallytaff
Pete Morris
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Sold.

June 04, 2015 11:08AM
I'll pardon your total ignorance, but the event took place in SCOTLAND, which is a totally different country from England! If it was meant to be sarcasm, you failed miserably!
danster
Haggis Muncher
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
VWs (for my sins)

June 04, 2015 11:44AM
rallytaff
I'll pardon your total ignorance, but the event took place in SCOTLAND, which is a totally different country from England! If it was meant to be sarcasm, you failed miserably!

LOL. Best ask your navigator to check the map as to where the stages were....

ALS FTW
Don K. Oates
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
looking

June 04, 2015 12:59PM
danster
rallytaff

LOL. Best ask your navigator to check the map as to where the stages were....

I googled the event and what I found said the stages were all in the Kielder Forest.
I googled Kielder Forest and what I found said it was in Northumberland, England.

I also googled RallySafe. Looks like an interesting system. I think I saw something somehwere where someone said someting about the final results at Radium would have had a different winner if the event had been using RallySafe. I can't find it now, but I think they said someting about the guy in third, by 30 seconds?, hitting an insane wahl dust and catching the car ahead, even with 3 minute windows, and not being able to get by.
danster
Haggis Muncher
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
VWs (for my sins)

June 04, 2015 01:27PM
ALS FTW
I googled the event and what I found said the stages were all in the Kielder Forest.
I googled Kielder Forest and what I found said it was in Northumberland, England.

Well, with the use of google fu, Don K Oates turned out to be quite the ingenious gentlemen...

Did you see what I did there? smoking smiley

ALS FTW
Don K. Oates
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
looking

June 04, 2015 01:46PM
I think its spelled ingenuous

(Some say... my 'rents had something of an obscure sense of humour)
riverwestauto
jake henes
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
mk2 jetta

June 04, 2015 08:47PM
No ur genius!lol
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login